Lexus repair

Tampinesdude

All

Bought a lexus rx400 recently. Many issues with knocking sound from the steering column when turning left especially when road is a bit uneven. Sent to a few workshop recommended by the 2nd hand car dealer but all could not diagnose the issue. They claimed they could not hear or feel the knocking sound but went ahead to tightened everything.

Problem is i can hear or feel it everytime i drove the car. My wife who is not mechanically inclined also can feel/hear it.

so, i need help from bros/sis on this forum who may have encounter similar issues to help me diagnose the issue OR recommend me a good workshop that may be able help me (other than lexus)

BTW, i bought from Turf City. Never trust those guys again. ..my car still stinks from cig smell. All empty promises from dealer to help remove it. Quite embarassing to hear remarks of ...Your car reeks of cig smell...from my friends

Edited by Tampinesdude
↡ Advertisement

All

Bought a lexus rx400 recently. Many issues with knocking sound from the steering column when turning left especially when road is a bit uneven. Sent to a few workshop recommended by the 2nd hand car dealer but all could not diagnose the issue. They claimed they could not hear or feel the knocking sound but went ahead to tightened everything.

Problem is i can hear or feel it everytime i drove the car. My wife who is not mechanically inclined also can feel/hear it.

so, i need help from bros/sis on this forum who may have encounter similar issues to help me diagnose the issue OR recommend me a good workshop that may be able help me (other than lexus)

BTW, i bought from Turf City. Never trust those guys again. ..my car still stinks from cig smell. All empty promises from dealer to help remove it. Quite embarassing to hear remarks of ...Your car reeks of cig smell...from my friends

Your CV joint is probably gone. Could be a faulty steering rack too. Tightening does nothing. For ciggy smell, get the carpets, rear parcel shelf, etc cleaned professionally, and try driving with the fan blowing at full with the windows down for a few days. When not driving, place those charcoal deoderisers in.

To be honest, I would suggest you bite the bullet and get your car inspected at BM. Also get the past history from them so you know if anything has happened before. Then take it outside to get the faults rectified.

Edited by Elfenstar

Turbocharged

If I had no choice but to buy a used car, I would accept the car in as-is condition. Never expect any warranty from those sharks..

Don't insult sharks.

Don't insult sharks.

Oops my bad. Then there is nothing else to describe them.. [laugh]

Anyway I would never have bought a car with all these noticeable problems. s

Your CV joint is probably gone. Could be a faulty steering rack too. Tightening does nothing. For ciggy smell, get the carpets, rear parcel shelf, etc cleaned professionally, and try driving with the fan blowing at full with the windows down for a few days. When not driving, place those charcoal deoderisers in.

To be honest, I would suggest you bite the bullet and get your car inspected at BM. Also get the past history from them so you know if anything has happened before. Then take it outside to get the faults rectified.

Any workshop that you can suggest?

Oops my bad. Then there is nothing else to describe them.. [laugh]

Anyway I would never have bought a car with all these noticeable problems. s

Aiyah, we were all noobs at buying cars once. Before I went to aust, I even fell for snake oil products [laugh]

Aiyah, we were all noobs at buying cars once. Before I went to aust, I even fell for snake oil products [laugh]

buying cars in Singapore is an experience...i bought 3 used overseas prior to this and they stand by everything..

buying cars in Singapore is an experience...i bought 3 used overseas prior to this and they stand by everything..

The ones overseas are professionals. The local ones are **mostly** gangsters and cheats in disguise [laugh]

I'm still noob in buying cars. Maybe I'm not changing cars frequently enough [laugh]

I would recommend (for piece of mind) you go to Lexus to diagnose the problem (should cost you $100+) first and see their quote for repairs and parts to be changed (which should be expensive). Then you give a call to Ricardo at Sin Ming there and look for Ang (the Lead Mechanic), and get him to give you a quote on the parts that need to be changed (which should be cheaper than Lexus). If the price is cheaper, then go there to change. They specialize in Toyota and Lexus vehicles.

Edited by Cheong72

Any workshop that you can suggest?

If I need a workshop, I usually go to Autospritz. Look for Ah Heng. He can be a little aloof at times, but he's been honest with me. However there are a ton of reliable ones, just search MCF and you'll find recommendations. I can't remember which on was recommended for Toyota's.

Before a workshop, go to BM and get your car inspected and ask about the repair and service history. Don't let them do the job though, they're very exp. Alternatively if you have AA membership, get them to go over the car.

If you're within the lemon law period (and you didn't sign a waiver to it), bring the report to the place you bought it and ask for rectifications lah.

P.S. There you go. Cheong gave it to you. Ricardo is the workshop recommended for Toyota's.

Edited by Elfenstar

Buy from used car dealer always whack the lowest price then used the money saved for future repairs.

Their promises are well.....just empty promises.

Anyway, if you want a experienced mechanic you can PM me. He does a lot of Toyotas, esp Mark X. His workshop is at Sin Ming Autocare.

Edited by Fcw75

Wow..thanks for the suggestions/contacts...will go there soon!

LEXUS says it is the universal joint of the steering column. But the expert mechanics of the car stealer says no way, but dont know whats wrong...well enough of those idiots who think they know everything.

Wow..thanks for the suggestions/contacts...will go there soon!

LEXUS says it is the universal joint of the steering column. But the expert mechanics of the car stealer says no way, but dont know whats wrong...well enough of those idiots who think they know everything.

Really, they're better than the distributor in assessing the problem??? :angry:

I know the part. It shouldn't be ridiculously expensive or hard to replace. Your used car company is damn stingy.

That being said, it rarely causes problems unless subject to abnormal forces. Did you get a repair history of your car from lexus? You may want to get AA's pre-purchase inspection done to check the car out just in-case it was in an accident and not repaired properly. At least if there are any other unnoticed problems, you can fix them at your leisure rather than have one when you can least afford it.

↡ Advertisement