BMW 316i vs Mercedes CLA

Limxiaoming

Or maybe that side starting loan curb soon, so he better act now. :D

No need loan...every year come this time, ppl will "give"...hahahah...denomination big big somemore...that's why we pay full cash [sly]

↡ Advertisement

Consider seriously... 6cyl 3series is pretty high up there in handling with its power and weight distribution; the normal CLA (200,250) are FR, you might not get used to the difference... only the CLA45 AMG or A45 AMG can give you the same feel.

me also driving a 6cyl 3series... and sometimes going for long servicing... we get the 318i as replacement car... my OC will complain like hell... even this switch already totally different feel... think twice my fren

I occasionally drive my colleague's 4cyl 320i..... yup am aware of the power differenences.

Drove a colleague's C180 coupe earlier... apart from the impossibly light steering... i thought the car was decent... not enjoyable but competent from point A to point B. Current car is due in 2015... was thinking i might as well look to change slightly earlier to avoid the mad rush when everyone scraps in 2015.

I occasionally drive my colleague's 4cyl 320i..... yup am aware of the power differenences.

Drove a colleague's C180 coupe earlier... apart from the impossibly light steering... i thought the car was decent... not enjoyable but competent from point A to point B. Current car is due in 2015... was thinking i might as well look to change slightly earlier to avoid the mad rush when everyone scraps in 2015.

Not only the power... the handling is also more balance 50/50 for 6cycl models...

Was also contemplating the C-class coupe.. C250 but was turn-off by the steering too, and the engine note sounds kinda of rough under load...

Will wait out for the CLA45 AMG....

Not only the power... the handling is also more balance 50/50 for 6cycl models...

Was also contemplating the C-class coupe.. C250 but was turn-off by the steering too, and the engine note sounds kinda of rough under load...

Will wait out for the CLA45 AMG....

Think its the same across the board. Drove the E250 as well... steering felt weird too.....hahaha....

Did think about the CLA45AMG too, but given the likely price range it will be at, there are a lot more options...

Test drove both cars liao. Both feel ok to me for daily driving.

In fact both driving feel are fantastic considering this is a big upgrade from a 1.5L jap to a conti for me.

One concern I have for buying the merc is the significantly smaller fuel tank capacity for the Merc at 50L. The BMW is 60L.

I frequent Msia and can save some money with the additional fuel tank capacity hahaha (Sorry I know I niao)

Another worry is the expensive servicing costs for C&C compared to PML.

I have friends driving merc and bmw all kinds of models and from what I gather, an average servicing in C&C for Merc costs $1000+ while PML servicing costs <$400

Not to mention the $20k additional price tag

try to nego for service credits which can be used to offset the servicing at C&C... i would try to get at least 3000 service credit that should cover at least the first 3 servicing (i.e. first 3 years there abouts)... servicing at 15K km so would last u till 45K km.

i drive a c180k but between the 2, i will go for the beemer but since you can stretch your budget to a CLA perhaps can ask bmw to give you a good quote for the 320i....

A family member booked the CLA, and it did come with a 3 year (based on mileage) service voucher/credit. If it were my choice, definitely the BMW.

A family member booked the CLA, and it did come with a 3 year (based on mileage) service voucher/credit. If it were my choice, definitely the BMW.

u still young boy hor [laugh] [laugh]

in fact, the SE gave me a damn good deal....but once bitten 2x shy....lol

u still young boy hor [laugh][laugh]

in fact, the SE gave me a damn good deal....but once bitten 2x shy....lol

What has that gotta do with age? I find something intangible driving the BMW vs the Merc or even Audi.. hard to put in words.

But yeah 316i for me, esp if cheaper [laugh]

What has that gotta do with age? I find something intangible driving the BMW vs the Merc or even Audi.. hard to put in words.

But yeah 316i for me, esp if cheaper [laugh]

like my prev post says, u jus 'connect' with the car

the young part, well, 'merc' still favors the 'advantaged in yrs' even w the newer looks and designs.....a heritage i guess

the young part, well, 'merc' still favors the 'advantaged in yrs' even w the newer looks and designs.....a heritage i guess

Like Soya? :ph34r:

the CLA has showroom appeal; even as my family member mentioned when she tested she felt a bad throttle lag, she still went ahead to book one (was driving a C180k). The looks certainly draws the ladies.

[laugh]Like Soya? :ph34r:

the CLA has showroom appeal; even as my family member mentioned when she tested she felt a bad throttle lag, she still went ahead to book one (was driving a C180k). The looks certainly draws the ladies.

u dun say.....muahahahahaha [laugh] [laugh]

he calls us fanboys....well, he is one helluva fanfuddyduddy [:p]. Why u think hearses come in Mercs, n not BMWs? the estate F10 would be a damn nice hearse car

and yes, the C180, was the shortest i ever owned in my car ownage over the yrs..4 months. Even my C&C SE was shocked...muahahaha

eh fanboi......thot u onli 'connect' w porker? [lipsrsealed]:D

eh fanboi......thot u onli 'connect' w porker? [lipsrsealed]:D

that one deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep connection...different [laugh] [laugh]

Bro, I bought the 316 in Feb13.

Use it mainly to drive to work, send and pick up wife and kids.

So far the experience have been pleasant.

I have to admit Merc CLA looks more radical, but the interior finishing is a little aged. Once of the reason why we (me and wife) decided on BMW in the first place.

316 rear space is better but not significant. Interior finishing is better too.

If you are going for external look, I hate to admit it but I feel CLA have the edge.

But if you are trying to be practical, 316 is a better deal.

I topped up about $120 each full tank that last me between 600 to 760km. (On comfort mode. If sports mode, probably 400 to 500km)

Depends on route, speed and the way you drive.

Using sports mode to drive up to KL and back is really thrilling. (Other than giving way to a monster GTR along the way)

1 point to consider also is that BMW 316 is RWD while Merc CLA is FWD.

Check out the pros and cons of RWD vs FWD:

http://blog.motorists.org/pros-cons-rear-w...ll-wheel-drive/

Check out my other post on the comparison between 316 with C180. Although nothing related to that you are trying to compare, it should have some data that could be useful to you.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=4847117

Torque Magazine comparison

Whatever your decision maybe, both are still good cars. Enjoy your new ride soon! :D

Edited by Remierwan

Was seriously considering the CLA too. Now driving 6cyl 3 series.

Attracted to the CLA's interior and exterior... But scared to make the switch as its FWD. having test driven both,how does the driving feel differ for u?

Personally I test drove the CLA and although it is FWD, didn't feel it make a signifcant difference to the C180 RWD.

There seems a strange obsession with RWD. I find overall the CLA has negated the difference in driving feel between its FWD and RWD and to me it didn't really matter if there is FWD or not fitted onto CLA. If there is RWD, for sure it would have cost more. For those who kept harping on the fact that CLA does not have RWD, did they really test drive to feel for it themselves or was it just base solely on theory RWD means good and FWD experience is definitely inferior?

Interior build quality wise, Mercs is miles ahead of BMW.

Edited by Damienic
↡ Advertisement