BMW 316i vs Mercedes CLA

Limxiaoming

Last weekend, i went to view the CLA. I think the best bet will be the AMG one. Looks so creamy but this car is not suitable for tall people.

Bro, I bought the 316 in Feb13.

Use it mainly to drive to work, send and pick up wife and kids.

So far the experience have been pleasant.

I have to admit Merc CLA looks more radical, but the interior finishing is a little aged. Once of the reason why we (me and wife) decided on BMW in the first place.

316 rear space is better but not significant. Interior finishing is better too.

If you are going for external look, I hate to admit it but I feel CLA have the edge.

But if you are trying to be practical, 316 is a better deal.

I topped up about $120 each full tank that last me between 600 to 760km. (On comfort mode. If sports mode, probably 400 to 500km)

Depends on route, speed and the way you drive.

Using sports mode to drive up to KL and back is really thrilling. (Other than giving way to a monster GTR along the way)

1 point to consider also is that BMW 316 is RWD while Merc CLA is FWD.

Check out the pros and cons of RWD vs FWD:

http://blog.motorists.org/pros-cons-rear-w...ll-wheel-drive/

Check out my other post on the comparison between 316 with C180. Although nothing related to that you are trying to compare, it should have some data that could be useful to you.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=4847117

Torque Magazine comparison

Whatever your decision maybe, both are still good cars. Enjoy your new ride soon! :D

Thank you for the advice bro. I booked the 316 business over the weekend but not in time for coming bid because the agent still cannot achieve the price I want for my used car.

May I know how much you paid for your 316 and how much was COE at that time?

Chose the 316 in the end because

1. I actually find that the 316 is better looking (After some aesthetic mods)

2. Better interior space

3. Nicer looking dash (I just realised that the merc's interior button lightings are orange when lights are switched on - makes it feel old school)

4. The CLA is $20k more than the 316

5. CLA stock only arrive next year (4mths wait!!!)

6. More available mods to play with!

As a noob, I really could not tell the difference between RWD and FWD

Drive wise the CLA was a bit harsher for my liking but better power

The CLA will sell like hotcakes for sure but the novelty will wear off sooner or later when many CLA hit the roads.

By then those who bought on impulse will realise practicality is compromised.

Ultimately I think between these 2 cars, both will not go wrong...

post-27527-1377004571_thumb.jpg

post-27527-1377004551_thumb.jpg

Bro, I bought the 316 in Feb13.

Use it mainly to drive to work, send and pick up wife and kids.

So far the experience have been pleasant.

I have to admit Merc CLA looks more radical, but the interior finishing is a little aged. Once of the reason why we (me and wife) decided on BMW in the first place.

316 rear space is better but not significant. Interior finishing is better too.

If you are going for external look, I hate to admit it but I feel CLA have the edge.

But if you are trying to be practical, 316 is a better deal.

I topped up about $120 each full tank that last me between 600 to 760km. (On comfort mode. If sports mode, probably 400 to 500km)

Depends on route, speed and the way you drive.

Using sports mode to drive up to KL and back is really thrilling. (Other than giving way to a monster GTR along the way)

1 point to consider also is that BMW 316 is RWD while Merc CLA is FWD.

Check out the pros and cons of RWD vs FWD:

http://blog.motorists.org/pros-cons-rear-w...ll-wheel-drive/

Check out my other post on the comparison between 316 with C180. Although nothing related to that you are trying to compare, it should have some data that could be useful to you.

http://www.mycarforum.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=4847117

Torque Magazine comparison

Whatever your decision maybe, both are still good cars. Enjoy your new ride soon! :D

1.6L TC in F30 is nonsense to me. With the 8 spd GB that gears toward fuel economy, it make the matter worst. Other than the badge, there is nothing much to shout.

Previously, E39 520 IL6 struggles to pick up speed from 100km/h to 150km/h. I m not sure F30 316 can be better than E39 in term of drivability on NSH.

Personally I test drove the CLA and although it is FWD, didn't feel it make a signifcant difference to the C180 RWD.

There seems a strange obsession with RWD. I find overall the CLA has negated the difference in driving feel between its FWD and RWD and to me it didn't really matter if there is FWD or not fitted onto CLA. If there is RWD, for sure it would have cost more. For those who kept harping on the fact that CLA does not have RWD, did they really test drive to feel for it themselves or was it just base solely on theory RWD means good and FWD experience is definitely inferior?

Interior build quality wise, Mercs is miles ahead of BMW.

Test drive does not tell anything 1 lah. Try accelerate out of expressway at speed higher than 50km/h to tell the diff. With RWD, i love to exit Bedok North Exit at 80km/h whenever possible.

Thank you for the advice bro. I booked the 316 business over the weekend but not in time for coming bid because the agent still cannot achieve the price I want for my used car.

2. Better interior space

3. Nicer looking dash (I just realised that the merc's interior button lightings are orange when lights are switched on - makes it feel old school)

The CLA will sell like hotcakes for sure but the novelty will wear off sooner or later when many CLA hit the roads.

Good choice bro! All the best!

Personally I test drove the CLA and although it is FWD, didn't feel it make a signifcant difference to the C180 RWD.

There seems a strange obsession with RWD. I find overall the CLA has negated the difference in driving feel between its FWD and RWD and to me it didn't really matter if there is FWD or not fitted onto CLA. If there is RWD, for sure it would have cost more. For those who kept harping on the fact that CLA does not have RWD, did they really test drive to feel for it themselves or was it just base solely on theory RWD means good and FWD experience is definitely inferior?

Interior build quality wise, Mercs is miles ahead of BMW.

I agree with you that for day to day driving, and probably for the majority of drivers, FWD and RWD does not make a huge difference. However, having owned FWD, RWD & AWD cars, i can assure you that the benefits & advantages of RWD is not in the head and not imaginary.

There is a huge difference between RWD and FWD when it comes to slightly more spirited driving, cornering, lane changes, general balance of the car. I have not tested the CLA yet, and i doubt i will be able to give you a run down of how the car feels vs a RWD BMW during the test drive, given that its too short and at low speeds, but trust me, for a car enthusiast or someone who enjoys driving, RWD is a huge pull factor.

I just state that its thrilling to ride. I didnt say about performing better than other cars.

If I want to race and overtake everyone just to satisfy my ego, would have stick to the arcade.

No offense to you David. Maybe I just feel that I have passed the stage off sprinting pass everyone to get to my location. (Maybe once in a while....)

Safer for the general public and my family. Life is too short. Enjoy it with your loved ones.

[cool]

Edited by Remierwan

2. Better interior space

You make the right choice bro. I would recommend you to get the 'Off-white' exterior with 'Coral Red leather' interior but you need to stay out of the east side since we have the same good taste. lol :D

Can I know what car are you trading in?

Hopefully you can get the overtrade price that you have targetted.

Back in Feb, the price that they quoted me was at 191k with COE. (COE at that time was at 82k)

Just like you, I missed my 1st bidding.

Agent suddenly called to offer a new deal to lower the price to 180k plus and increase my overtrade by $5k. I think they knew something was coming. (The cooling measures)

They also throw in 1.5k worth of BMW vouchers.

Very useful for servicing, buying accessories etc.

So I had to go down and sign the new deal and the next bidding, the COE went down to 78k (if I am not wrong)

Collected the car exactly on the day the new cooling measures was implemented. [sweatdrop]

Count myself lucky since the deal was signed before that.

Other tips:

M Performance Kit Upgrade:

Have you test drive the car in sports mode on the highway? You can feel the power at the tip of your pedal. Very responsive.

If you like it to sound more fierce, they have the M performance kit upgrade at $6k which includes:

- Tuning of engine for additional 27bhp and sports sound.

- Front bumper

- Rear bumper

- M Performance skirting

I am saving up for this upgrade mid next year. At least give the car a bit of a fresh look.

This shows video shows how they tune the sound.

BMW F30 (316i) Production Assemble:

Tips on how to check if your car is manufactured in which plant:

A lot of people ask me how I got my car quickly. They like to assume because it was manufactured in South Africa.

Mine was from Resenburg, Germany.

Method 1:

- Check your Vehicle Identification Number / VIN (Near your chassis)

- Use website to check. www.bmwvin.com (Need to register)

Method 2:

- Check your VIN.

- Use table attached to check. Your 11th digit is the country of manufacture.

post-129706-1377052004_thumb.png

Hopefully, you will get your ride soon. Enjoy the new ride! Do share your colour choice. [cool]

Go test drive the F30 and W204 at PML and C&C respectively and you would know what I am talking about.

BMW is not known as the "Ultimate Driving Machine" for nothing....

As they say:

If you want to enjoy driving, buy a BMW.

If you want comfort, buy a Merc.

If you don't know what the hell you want, buy an Audi :D

As they say:

If you want to enjoy driving, buy a BMW.

If you want comfort, buy a Merc.

If you don't know what the hell you want, buy an Audi :D

:D I like this a lot.

I started in Audi showroom because I dont know what I want. After test drive, went to Merc and finally BMW.

I just state that its thrilling to ride. I didnt say about performing better than other cars.

If I want to race and overtake everyone just to satisfy my ego, would have stick to the arcade.

No offense to you David. Maybe I just feel that I have passed the stage off sprinting pass everyone to get to my location. (Maybe once in a while....)

Safer for the general public and my family. Life is too short. Enjoy it with your loved ones.

[cool]

All i said is you have not driven the REAL BMW. F30 316 is not REAL BMW.

How does F30 316 fit the tag line "Sheer Driving Pleasure"?

I don't race on the road. But i will sprint pass every single road hogger.

Live life to the fullest.

Lastly, why does your car comes from Regenburg rather than Rosslyn?

Edited by Davidtch

You make the right choice bro. I would recommend you to get the 'Off-white' exterior with 'Coral Red leather' interior but you need to stay out of the east side since we have the same good taste. lol :D

Can I know what car are you trading in?

Hopefully you can get the overtrade price that you have targetted.

Back in Feb, the price that they quoted me was at 191k with COE. (COE at that time was at 82k)

Just like you, I missed my 1st bidding.

Agent suddenly called to offer a new deal to lower the price to 180k plus and increase my overtrade by $5k. I think they knew something was coming. (The cooling measures)

They also throw in 1.5k worth of BMW vouchers.

Very useful for servicing, buying accessories etc.

So I had to go down and sign the new deal and the next bidding, the COE went down to 78k (if I am not wrong)

Collected the car exactly on the day the new cooling measures was implemented. [sweatdrop]

Count myself lucky since the deal was signed before that.

Other tips:

M Performance Kit Upgrade:

Have you test drive the car in sports mode on the highway? You can feel the power at the tip of your pedal. Very responsive.

If you like it to sound more fierce, they have the M performance kit upgrade at $6k which includes:

- Tuning of engine for additional 27bhp and sports sound.

- Front bumper

- Rear bumper

- M Performance skirting

I am saving up for this upgrade mid next year. At least give the car a bit of a fresh look.

This shows video shows how they tune the sound.

BMW F30 (316i) Production Assemble:

Tips on how to check if your car is manufactured in which plant:

A lot of people ask me how I got my car quickly. They like to assume because it was manufactured in South Africa.

Mine was from Resenburg, Germany.

Method 1:

- Check your Vehicle Identification Number / VIN (Near your chassis)

- Use website to check. www.bmwvin.com (Need to register)

Method 2:

- Check your VIN.

- Use table attached to check. Your 11th digit is the country of manufacture.

Hopefully, you will get your ride soon. Enjoy the new ride! Do share your colour choice. [cool]

Haha thank you for the tips bro.

I traded in my current lancer EX 1.5 with $2 COE.

Dealer offered me $55k for the car initially but on the day I went to sign the amt was reduced to $52k. That was what made me not put a deposit on the BMW.

I chose off white (Not pearl white)

If I'm not wrong the M performance kit costs $9k not $6k because I already found a shop outside that can provide me with the same kit, bells and whistles for $5k.

The only difference between outside and to do it with PML is the piggyback. I can't do it outside incase it voids the warranty. its only a piggyback btw so if really I need to claim warranty I can just unplug it.

I have not put a deposit by the way because the sales person cut me a deal in a sense if today COE goes up, he will quickly call me and let me purchase at the previous recorded price.

If COE goes down he will allow me to buy at the new discounted price.

Hopefully all goes well today!

↡ Advertisement