BMW 316i vs Mercedes CLA

Limxiaoming

Haha thank you for the tips bro.

I traded in my current lancer EX 1.5 with $2 COE.

Dealer offered me $55k for the car initially but on the day I went to sign the amt was reduced to $52k. That was what made me not put a deposit on the BMW.

I chose off white (Not pearl white)

If I'm not wrong the M performance kit costs $9k not $6k because I already found a shop outside that can provide me with the same kit, bells and whistles for $5k.

The only difference between outside and to do it with PML is the piggyback. I can't do it outside incase it voids the warranty. its only a piggyback btw so if really I need to claim warranty I can just unplug it.

I have not put a deposit by the way because the sales person cut me a deal in a sense if today COE goes up, he will quickly call me and let me purchase at the previous recorded price.

If COE goes down he will allow me to buy at the new discounted price.

Hopefully all goes well today!

Haha. Good taste on the off white. I will be sure to be on a lookout for another off-white 316 on the road.

I am sure that the M performance is $6k. And you are right, your warranty will be void.

If you want to do external shop, wait till after 3rd year where your warranty is due for extension.

The engine tuning requires it to be plugged into the CPU. And from what I heard, the new CPU is not something you want to mess with. A few guys say OBD tuning could give you more horse power etc. But it can be detected since any activity is recorded.

Therefore safer to put in 1K more to get the pros to do it and still be under warranty.

1 more thing to take note, 316i does not come with the connect drive. only 323 and above got this feature. (Navigation, reverse collision camera, etc)

You can upgrade outside (i went to check out the product yesterday) but again, since it is connected to the iDrive (where the CPU is) should anything happen, and PML finds out, warranty void. Something to upgrade on your 4th year. :D

By the way, I just check this out yesterday.

3rd party: (Notice that the screen is the default size for F30. If you take the 320, the screen full width)

- DVD player

- TV mobile

- 3rd party navigator GPS

- 100gb hardisk

- Rear camera trajectory

All-in about $3k.

If you want the original (which only comes on 323 and above),

- NBT (Next Big Thing) original BMW screen (includes original BMW Navigator) - $5k alone

The diff between BMW navigator and external GPS is that BMW navigator connects to your meter. So if the navigator is trying to tell you to turn left, you can see it on the meter side. (not sure what it is called)

- dvd player

- 100gb hardisk

- Original rear camera ($1.6k)

Too ex for my taste but it should keep your options open for possible future upgrades when things get stale over the years.

All the best! [cool]

↡ Advertisement

Wa some ppl so haolian.. say 316i nonsense wor... sheer driving pleasure doesnt need to come with tonnes of horsepower. Any car can be a pleasure to drive and it is very individual.

Wa some ppl so haolian.. say 316i nonsense wor... sheer driving pleasure doesnt need to come with tonnes of horsepower. Any car can be a pleasure to drive and it is very individual.

Haha everyone got their own opinions ba. I bought it cause I like the feel of the car that's all. overall package was good.

I can't afford a 320 that's why I bought a 316. Can buy 335 or m3, u think I don't want sheer driving pleasure meh...

(edited)

Haha. Good taste on the off white. I will be sure to be on a lookout for another off-white 316 on the road.

I am sure that the M performance is $6k. And you are right, your warranty will be void.

If you want to do external shop, wait till after 3rd year where your warranty is due for extension.

The engine tuning requires it to be plugged into the CPU. And from what I heard, the new CPU is not something you want to mess with. A few guys say OBD tuning could give you more horse power etc. But it can be detected since any activity is recorded.

Therefore safer to put in 1K more to get the pros to do it and still be under warranty.

1 more thing to take note, 316i does not come with the connect drive. only 323 and above got this feature. (Navigation, reverse collision camera, etc)

You can upgrade outside (i went to check out the product yesterday) but again, since it is connected to the iDrive (where the CPU is) should anything happen, and PML finds out, warranty void. Something to upgrade on your 4th year. :D

By the way, I just check this out yesterday.

3rd party: (Notice that the screen is the default size for F30. If you take the 320, the screen full width)

- DVD player

- TV mobile

- 3rd party navigator GPS

- 100gb hardisk

- Rear camera trajectory

All-in about $3k.

If you want the original (which only comes on 323 and above),

- NBT (Next Big Thing) original BMW screen (includes original BMW Navigator) - $5k alone

The diff between BMW navigator and external GPS is that BMW navigator connects to your meter. So if the navigator is trying to tell you to turn left, you can see it on the meter side. (not sure what it is called)

- dvd player

- 100gb hardisk

- Original rear camera ($1.6k)

Too ex for my taste but it should keep your options open for possible future upgrades when things get stale over the years.

All the best! [cool]

Nice. I'll be sticking to all aesthetic mods for now.

Those things u mentioned, too ex for me too. Don't want to pay so much. I already expect to burn almost $10k once I collect my ride.

With those things u introed,I probably got to sleep roadside

One day must come out la kopi our rides side by side hahaha...

Anyway, post pic of your car leh then guide me along where u change what parts. Seems like u did more homework than me.

And I thought I was the crazy one [laugh]

Edited by Limxiaoming

All i said is you have not driven the REAL BMW. F30 316 is not REAL BMW.

How does F30 316 fit the tag line "Sheer Driving Pleasure"?

I don't race on the road. But i will sprint pass every single road hogger.

Live life to the fullest.

Lastly, why does your car comes from Regenburg rather than Rosslyn?

Another frog in the well comment.

Driving pleasure is not all about straight line accleration. Its about handling. How the car makes you feel when you turn a corner.

DO you even own a BMW?

This is a FAN BOY speaking hor.

I used to drive E39 520. Does M54B22 comes with tonnes of hp?

Another frog in the well comment.

Driving pleasure is not all about straight line accleration. Its about handling. How the car makes you feel when you turn a corner.

DO you even own a BMW?

Who is the frog here?

Ppl stays long enough here knows that i used to drive E39 520.

Don't talk to me about corner lah. I rarely adhere to speed limit when i exit expressway. On MY B road, i usually drives btw 100 & 120 whenever traffic permits me to do so.

Nice. I'll be sticking to all aesthetic mods for now.

Those things u mentioned, too ex for me too. Don't want to pay so much. I already expect to burn almost $10k once I collect my ride.

With those things u introed,I probably got to sleep roadside

One day must come out la kopi our rides side by side hahaha...

Anyway, post pic of your car leh then guide me along where u change what parts. Seems like u did more homework than me.

And I thought I was the crazy one [laugh]

Haha. On for the kopi. Must find all small brother 316's and drink coffee together. I find the bigger brother a little intimidating for now.

Have to do homework since committing to a huge liability for the next 10 years.

See my ride: 1st day collection at PML. Like go see doctor. Go into a room to inspect the car. I blank out the handsome guy and the plate number.

Too shy to sign autograph on the streets. [cool]

post-129706-1377078378_thumb.jpg

1st thing I do:

- Install Blackvue Camera. (Peace of mind)

post-129706-1377078403_thumb.jpg

- Change rim. Paid 1.5k (16 to 19 inch)

post-129706-1377078445_thumb.png

- Buy M colour for kidney grill.

http://www.bmwsticker.com/BMW-M-Colored-Gr...ipe-Decals.html

- Use my BMW voucher for a matt black spoiler. ($400) If you take carbon fibre $1.2k (too ex and useless anyway). BMW will need 1 day to install for you.

Dont have the picture but it something like this but matt. You can get the technician to open up 1 (if in stock) to see if nice or not and test on your ride.

post-129706-1377078894_thumb.jpg

Thats it for now. Need to recuperate my wallet. Else have to sleep on the street like you mentioned. [:p]

Share your picture once you get you ride. [drivingcar]

(edited)

Haha. On for the kopi. Must find all small brother 316's and drink coffee together. I find the bigger brother a little intimidating for now.

Have to do homework since committing to a huge liability for the next 10 years.

See my ride: 1st day collection at PML. Like go see doctor. Go into a room to inspect the car. I blank out the handsome guy and the plate number.

Too shy to sign autograph on the streets. [cool]

1st thing I do:

- Install Blackvue Camera. (Peace of mind)

- Change rim. Paid 1.5k (16 to 19 inch)

- Buy M colour for kidney grill.

http://www.bmwsticker.com/BMW-M-Colored-Gr...ipe-Decals.html

- Use my BMW voucher for a matt black spoiler. ($400) If you take carbon fibre $1.2k (too ex and useless anyway). BMW will need 1 day to install for you.

Dont have the picture but it something like this but matt. You can get the technician to open up 1 (if in stock) to see if nice or not and test on your ride.

Thats it for now. Need to recuperate my wallet. Else have to sleep on the street like you mentioned. [:p]

Share your picture once you get you ride. [drivingcar]

Wah kao... Even your rims are the ones that I thinking of getting... <_<

Only diff now is the seats. The entry level 316 don't have this option.

Great minds think alike

by the way, how is the 19" rims? Does it compromise the ride comfort and slow down the car significantly?

Did you lower your ride after changing rims?

Edited by Limxiaoming

Wah kao... Even your rims are the ones that I thinking of getting... <_<

Only diff now is the seats. The entry level 316 don't have this option.

Great minds think alike

by the way, how is the 19" rims? Does it compromise the ride comfort and slow down the car significantly?

Did you lower your ride after changing rims?

Stock wheels comes with run-on-flat tires.

We don't have a spare tire.

Pros for this tire:

If pancit, it can still run for 400km (if I am not wrong) before you need to pump.air or find petrol station.

Cons: it's heavy.

I changed to 19 inch rim with german normal tire. After changing it feels lighter when driving under the "comfort mode". "Sports mode" even better. Before this it feels a bit sluggish when in comfort mode.

If you want to lower your suspension for the look, its up to individual. But for cornering, using sports mode, the whole suspension dynamics change and you stick to the road doing a fast corner. So you don't have to waste money on that. But it's up to each preference. Never tried a lowered suspension 316 yet. Maybe it's better.

I thk dun dare to display HDB parking disc is the worst. ^_^

At my MCSP, the ones who don't display HDB season parking disc are the conti makes.

As if so disgraceful to stay in HDB flat?

Stock wheels comes with run-on-flat tires.

We don't have a spare tire.

Pros for this tire:

If pancit, it can still run for 400km (if I am not wrong) before you need to pump.air or find petrol station.

Cons: it's heavy.

I changed to 19 inch rim with german normal tire. After changing it feels lighter when driving under the "comfort mode". "Sports mode" even better. Before this it feels a bit sluggish when in comfort mode.

If you want to lower your suspension for the look, its up to individual. But for cornering, using sports mode, the whole suspension dynamics change and you stick to the road doing a fast corner. So you don't have to waste money on that. But it's up to each preference. Never tried a lowered suspension 316 yet. Maybe it's better.

Unless you have adaptive damping, sport/comfort only change throttle & gear shift.

At my MCSP, the ones who don't display HDB season parking disc are the conti makes.

not disgraceful. just pai seh

All i said is you have not driven the REAL BMW. F30 316 is not REAL BMW.

How does F30 316 fit the tag line "Sheer Driving Pleasure"?

I don't race on the road. But i will sprint pass every single road hogger.

Live life to the fullest.

Lastly, why does your car comes from Regenburg rather than Rosslyn?

haha david jus suar la...the new breed of bmw owners are no longer the same as your E39, strawberry gen. jus accept if got 516, it wil lagi flood the roads. [cool]

mus b la...cos put the blue disc there, the package dun seem "complete" anymore [:p]

now w the blue disc, jus put there 1 time, no need to change every mth or hv details of your carpark like last time, so whats the difficulty?

Does anybody have a good Merc agent to recommend for the CLA.

Thank you.

Look for this guy called Felix. I find him to be rather professional and helpful and not the usual selective SE who warms up to you only when they think you are likely to buy and give you the cold shoulder when they suspect you are only there to look see look see.

Anyway from what I know, they are sold out for the Oct 13 delivery batch. So the earliest delivery is likely to be Dec 13. [laugh]

Enjoy your car hunting!

↡ Advertisement