Will u buy Diesel or Petrol Cars in SG

Darky8888

diesel emissions have always been a scam.

The emissions produced in the lab testing for Euro compliance is << the real world emissions of the engines.

The filters do reduce emissions but very few people replace them really on schedule lah.

They self impose to make themselves feel song they are reducing CO2, but NO2 levels have been steadily rising in European capitals and cities cos of the widespread diesel usage.

It's a no brainer for the consumer cos in most of europe, their fuel is expensive too.

So they ownself promote diesel, consumer buys more diesels cos they have great running cost and low tax, but end up more europeans die of NO2 related disease. Yay! Wunderbar! [hur][thumbsup]-_-

But this one is actually think just that if the engines are too small, they overheat too easily, so more fuel is injected than necessary, hence worse emissions compared to the right sized engines.

Agree. Diesel exhausts' high in NOx, PAH (polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons) and PM (particulate matter) will pollute the world and will be the dearth of mankind, if their population is allowed to grow!

It is only the selfish, vested interest of the car manufacturers - particularly the Germans, to meet Euro emissions standards, and grow their diesel car production, that had misrepresented the results. Prime example is VW in the news

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

It is a sign... Something is brewing.

ComfortDelGro buys first non-diesel fleet

ComfortDelGro has bought 100 Toyota Prius taxis, marking its first fleet of non-diesel cabs.

The trend of using petrol-electric hybrids as taxis here was pioneered by Prime Taxis - the smallest operator - five years ago. The third-largest operator SMRT followed suit, with the biggest fleet of hybrid cabs here.

Going hybrid allows taxi companies to enjoy lower costs and higher rentals.

• Praise 9

ComfortDelGro has bought 100 Toyota Prius taxis, marking its first fleet of non-diesel cabs.

The trend of using petrol-electric hybrids as taxis here was pioneered by Prime Taxis - the smallest operator - five years ago. The third-largest operator SMRT followed suit, with the biggest fleet of hybrid cabs here.

Yes I saw that. Curious indeed.  

First an ill crafted commentary planted in Today, then this. 

Let's see how it plays out.

• Praise 1

It's a gov manner of preampting the people so that people are not taken by surprise. This can minimise the impact to the mass instead of having some policy out of the blue. If serves as a matter of feedback ( how strong is the reaction to such news) as well as tune the mind to be ready for such change in policy.
  • Praise 2

It's pretty obvious isn't it? The writing's on the wall for the eventual demise of private diesel cars. Now the taxi fleets are also changing course, toward petrol-hybrids (and I suppose, fully supported by the LTA).

Next, increase in diesel taxation wef 2017.

What more signs are people (still) looking for?

I look forward to the garmen's next step to remove CEVS credits for private diesel cars. For such heavy PM/NOx polluters, it just makes a lot of sense!

It's pretty obvious isn't it? The writing's on the wall for the eventual demise of private diesel cars. Now the taxi fleets are also changing course, toward petrol-hybrids (and I suppose, fully supported by the LTA).

Next, increase in diesel taxation wef 2017.

What more signs are people (still) looking for?

I look forward to the garmen's next step to remove CEVS credits for private diesel cars. For such heavy PM/NOx polluters, it just makes a lot of sense!

Fair point.

I think there is no universally correct answer on whether petrol or diesel is cleaner, per below article from an air pollution focused site:-

"Overall, diesel cars emit less hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and lead pollution than petrol cars, but produce more noxious gases and significantly more particulates. Despite much debate over which car, petrol or diesel, is cleaner, weighing up the advantages and disadvantages is not easy."

Source: http://www.air-quality.org.uk/26.php

Look, there are very strong lobbies both on the diesel and the petrol front, hence there's a lot of misinformation out there.

On my end, I empathize with the government in that it's not easy to find the right balance ie

- They need revenue to find all the social programmes Singaporeans have been clamoring for. That's understood.

- They have signed the Paris agreement hence need to adhere to global emissions standards. That's fine.

BUT, tell us as it is. Don't sell me a fake bill of goods. If it's revenue you're after, then be upfront and justify it on that basis.

Please do not be planting ill crafted articles, based on outdated information (ie Paris bans diesel by 2020, which is false), and try to justify a revenue exercise based on an environmental premise. That's how you lose credibility with your people.

• Praise 2

what commentary ar? i must have missed it.

Good points.

Actually I've always wondered how come if Uber has been buying new cars, why they haven't bought any diesel small cars. I'm sure there should be plenty of options from the french, opel, koreans also etc.

Fair point.

I think there is no universally correct answer on whether petrol or diesel is cleaner, per below article from an air pollution focused site:-

"Overall, diesel cars emit less hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and lead pollution than petrol cars, but produce more noxious gases and significantly more particulates. Despite much debate over which car, petrol or diesel, is cleaner, weighing up the advantages and disadvantages is not easy."

Source: http://www.air-quality.org.uk/26.php

Look, there are very strong lobbies both on the diesel and the petrol front, hence there's a lot of misinformation out there.

On my end, I empathize with the government in that it's not easy to find the right balance ie

- They need revenue to find all the social programmes Singaporeans have been clamoring for. That's understood.

- They have signed the Paris agreement hence need to adhere to global emissions standards. That's fine.

BUT, tell us as it is. Don't sell me a fake bill of goods. If it's revenue you're after, then be upfront and justify it on that basis.

Please do not be planting ill crafted articles, based on outdated information (ie Paris bans diesel by 2020, which is false), and try to justify a revenue exercise based on an environmental premise. That's how you lose credibility with your people.

• Praise 1

if a vehicle is heavily used, there's no replacement for displacement.

A smaller engine may incur much higher maintenance and fuel consumption in the long run.

Last time, SBS MB buses are 5,678 cc, but now all at least 10,000 cc and above.

• Praise 2

A smaller engine may incur much higher maintenance and fuel consumption in the long run.

wah you very precise  [crazy]

This is old news right?

I already see a few CDG Priuses on the road.

Because the 6L engines are working much harder, resulting in more premature wear and tear maintenance. The operating parameters are probably also outside the engine's economical range, resulting in higher fuel consumption.

The 10L and above engines are most likely the direct opposite of the smaller 6L engines. With advancements in engine technology and not having to work as hard as the 6L ones, these big engines are probably as economical, if not more economical as the 6L engines, comparing the same load capacity.

• Praise 1

It's actually written down on the "plate" (like those commercial vehicles) on the bus body.

You can still see those MY old MB trucks, take a look at the inscription of the body, it's there - 5,678 cc and they are pulling overloaded logs!!!

wah you very precise  [crazy]

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

what commentary ar? i must have missed it.

Good points.

Actually I've always wondered how come if Uber has been buying new cars, why they haven't bought any diesel small cars. I'm sure there should be plenty of options from the french, opel, koreans also etc.

Hmmm ... For Uber to avoid diesels totally, they must have done extensive studies on where diesel technology for passenger cars is heading in the EU and also may be privy to "better" information on whether they will paint themselves to a corner if they are going to amass their diesel fleet locally.

I am sure they had gone to petrol-hybrids and not a single diesel purchase based on firm and clear knowledge and not serendipity!

This is old news right?

I already see a few CDG Priuses on the road.

Old news as in using Prius as taxi, but big news in the sense that the largest player here is now switching to hybrid, signaled something to come. Putting the $$$ (tax) matters aside, the decision by WHO to list fume from diesel engine as carcinogenic, and the recent signing of Paris Agreement would have prompt the government to do "something"...

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 5

Hmmm ... For Uber to avoid diesels totally, they must have done extensive studies on where diesel technology for passenger cars is heading in the EU and also may be privy to "better" information on whether they will paint themselves to a corner if they are going to amass their diesel fleet locally.

I am sure they had gone to petrol-hybrids and not a single diesel purchase based on firm and clear knowledge and not serendipity! ð

Bro, am not sure it's the smartest move politically to provide "firm and clear" guidance to a profit driven commercial entity (let alone a foreign firm like uber to enable them to better compete against licensed taxi drivers, who are mandatorily Singaporeans) while ambushing private diesel voters who have bought diesels based on your tax policies...

... Which incidentally, were changed in Oct 2012 to promote diesels (AFTER the reclassification of diesel fumes by WHO in Jun 2012)...

Would be a massive breach of the parity of information principle.

Bro, am not sure it's the smartest move politically to provide "firm and clear" guidance to a profit driven commercial entity (let alone a foreign firm like uber to enable them to better compete against licensed taxi drivers, who are mandatorily Singaporeans) while ambushing private diesel voters who have bought diesels based on your tax policies...

... Which incidentally, were changed in Oct 2012 to promote diesels (AFTER the reclassification of diesel fumes by WHO in Jun 2012)...

Would be a massive breach of the parity of information principle.

I don't think Uber is privy to any information released by the govt. Govt won't anyhow release such information one, unless there was a opinion gathering discussion on upcoming policy changes done by the govt which all transport providers would be privy to.

Probably Uber and CDG are just spreading their bets. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1