Will u buy Diesel or Petrol Cars in SG

Darky8888

Going green ia same as having kids in Singapore. 

You need to have the conviction to really want and bring up a kid. The government role is to push and encourage you along with tax rebates and ancillary helps like better and more childcare centres etc. Which government in the world penalise in absolute term (not the lack of benefits) couple who chose to remain childless? 

Same with going green for the motoring choice. The government do not have carrot measures to enourage people to switch to green cars (CEVS/VES is a joke). Yet in the same  stroke penalise those who wants to buy "greener" cars with zero rebates for hybrids and the threat of up coming grid surcharge for the full electric cars. 1st world country indeed.  

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Someone said this to me. If nobody support new innovations, then such innovations will never take off. You need people who strongly believe in 'clean energy' to buy their products so that they make enough money to research for better products.

This is not only true with cars but many 'green' products being championed and endorsed by authorities.

I thot is the other way round, they need to invest in R&D and come up with innovative products and then sell in volumes to recoup the investments.

This is the risk they have to take, u come up with a shitty product, bye bye....but you come up with something good...bang!!

If the real intention is go green, just give incentive to vehicles who pass the mark, say $30k to $50k. Whoever wants it then take it. Why still looking to penalize others.

Or are we expecting something like: If don't go skill future or sign up WorkSG courses and upgrade yourself, you will be taxed more. Those clocked a certain hours will have tax rebate.

''nuff said

I thot is the other way round, they need to invest in R&D and come up with innovative products and then sell in volumes to recoup the investments.

This is the risk they have to take, u come up with a shitty product, bye bye....but you come up with something good...bang!!

Handphones were like a piece of rock and we supported it. today it evolves and one day it is part of your clothing. it has to starts somewhere. arent we talking about solar and PV cells?

If they really so concerned abt the environment, juz ban the smoky JB motorbikes. But no revenue from there so we become the ATM instead

No need to ban la ... we are too tiny and any wind blow towards our direction will bring the dirty air ...

Going green ia same as having kids in Singapore.

You need to have the conviction to really want and bring up a kid. The government role is to push and encourage you along with tax rebates and ancillary helps like better and more childcare centres etc. Which government in the world penalise in absolute term (not the lack of benefits) couple who chose to remain childless?

Same with going green for the motoring choice. The government do not have carrot measures to enourage people to switch to green cars (CEVS/VES is a joke). Yet in the same stroke penalise those who wants to buy "greener" cars with zero rebates for hybrids and the threat of up coming grid surcharge for the full electric cars. 1st world country indeed.

Not so Long ago highly encourage to buy high CEVS car ... just 3 weeks ago discouraged to buy CEVS car ???

Supersonic

No need to ban la ... we are too tiny and any wind blow towards our direction will bring the dirty air ...

Not so Long ago highly encourage to buy high CEVS car ... just 3 weeks ago discouraged to buy CEVS car ???

Coz CEVS rebate always kena makan by the AD n gahmen no benefit.

Impose surcharge straightaway gahmen $$$ revenue.

Supersonic

Basic Economics 101 question:

For those diesel models that will kena slap VES surcharge next year, doesn't that mean extg diesel cars already registered today will increase in resale value?

For those diesel models that will kena slap VES surcharge next year, doesn't that mean extg diesel cars already registered today will increase in resale value?

yep, existing owners huat  [laugh]  [laugh]

In theory, yes but I don't think so simple as that cos there is likely less buyers of diesels with all the talk of their demise and indication from the authorities to wean off diesels but then again, some high mileage users and those who enjoy good torque may feel it's worth it to get a diesel despite all the doom and gloom so frankly, your guess is as good as mine!

yep, existing owners huat  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 5

In theory, yes but I don't think so simple as that cos there is likely less buyers of diesels with all the talk of their demise and indication from the authorities to wean off diesels but then again, some high mileage users and those who enjoy good torque may feel it's worth it to get a diesel despite all the doom and gloom so frankly, your guess is as good as mine!

i'd certainly be happy if diesel cars drop in price, there are a couple of models that interest me heh heh

• Praise 1

i'd certainly be happy if diesel cars drop in price, there are a couple of models that interest me heh heh

My take is it may remain same or thereabouts but I don't think it will follow the usual trend that since new car price goes up, used ones will follow suit but the Used Car dealers will certainly try their luck by pushing this line.

But I also don't subscribe to the death of diesels doomsday prediction by some on this thread. Yes new diesels will likely not sell much or possibly not be brought in at all but the existing ones will continue to be around till they get scrapped, exported out etc 

If you want to get a used diesel next year, try buying from direct seller and it could be a win win situation for both of you!

• Praise 7

Supersonic

Liddat u hv to put up w all the doomsday talk by the MCF diesel haters who cheer the 10 sen hike but forgot their petrol kena 20 sen.....

Liddat u hv to put up w all the doomsday talk by the MCF diesel haters who cheer the 10 sen hike but forgot their petrol kena 20 sen.....

Somemore no reduction in road tax!!!diesel got...

Supercharged

I reckon 520d should sell very very well... still havr 6 months to sell assume their stocks come in may. Hee

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1