GST hike more likely if...

Mustank

everything is GST, even hawker food. u don't see it on the receipt doesn't mean its your lucky day or tat nice store owner dun charge.

our greying population is coming but NOT here yet and alr GST has to increase, medishield and all shield related ins are all up at least 20% this yr. i dunno wat the prices gonna b in another 10 yrs time. pinnochio's nose is jus getting longer.

↡ Advertisement

While I do agree that basic essentials should not be taxed, comparing with gold is not fair lah.... Gold is a form of monies. So next time you buy foreign currency, tio GST, ai mai....

Strictly speaking the small increase of GST is not the real fear. The real fear is the ripple effect. If they raise 1%, hawker and food court will raise 50 cents, at least, which is magnified by dunno how many more times.... Then then transport and fuel will also increase, definitely by the quantum of more than 1%.

Edited by Tjkbeluga

While I do agree that basic essentials should not be taxed, comparing with gold is not fair lah.... Gold is a form of monies. So next time you buy foreign currency, tio GST, ai mai....

last time they say very difficult to take out milk powder and rice and other essentials because alot of manpower involve

how come now gold can? :D

i am all for gst because there are many people earn alot but poh kay siao

it is not fair that these people pay less tax, so gst comes into play

but how to eimplement gst leh?

hey key issue is the first $12K of expenditure a year is a reasonable amount for basic consumption

Govt should give a consistent yearly gst rebate to everyone for basic consumption: ie: $12000 * 0.07 = $840

only in this way, hen i will agree gst is fair because only in this way gst effectively only tax those with very large consumption amt

many have the misconception that people who oppose the government are opposing for the sake of opposing; the true is many who are opposing do not stand to gain but fighting for the gain of those who needed it most such as the under-privilege and etc; unfortunately, a large majority of this group is against those who are fighting for them and supporting those who are persecuting them; Stockholm syndrome

for such investment (unlike buying from goldsmith shop), will it subject to capital gain tax?

(edited)

for such investment (unlike buying from goldsmith shop), will it subject to capital gain tax?

wait they also implement capital gain tax on kor peo (shares) <_<

Edited by Mustank

No GST : D

kena GST :D

dun forget ....

Cash Gift

As part of the Marriage and Parenthood Package 2013, the cash gift quantum for children born on or after 26 August 2012 will be increased and the payment schedule will be revised and shortened. You will get a cash gift of up to $6,000 each for your 1st and 2nd child and $8,000 each for your 3rd and 4th child.

dun forget ....

Cash Gift

As part of the Marriage and Parenthood Package 2013, the cash gift quantum for children born on or after 26 August 2012 will be increased and the payment schedule will be revised and shortened. You will get a cash gift of up to $6,000 each for your 1st and 2nd child and $8,000 each for your 3rd and 4th child.

i also didnt forget :D

35886_441805396382_6193044_n.jpg

Turbocharged

Hmm..why not arh? The agent selling you the gold bars also deemed to be providing some form of investment services what... :blink:

Govt "does not have magic source from heaven"

the "one day" means "coming soon" ???

SINGAPORE: Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong has said the government needs to strike a balance between taking the lead and moving people along when it comes to tough policies.

He was speaking to young Singaporeans at a post-National Day Rally dialogue on Thursday evening.

The dialogue was an occasion for PM Lee to exchange views with his young audience and for him to hear what they think of his recent National Day Rally speech.

The conversation was free-flowing, touching on a range of issues such as housing, education and volunteerism.

One participant said there is a sense of entitlement among youths in Singapore who want the government to do more for citizens.

Mr Lee reiterated that while the government will do more, "good things need to be paid for".

He explained that whatever the government gives out, will eventually come from the citizens.

The government "does not have a magic source from heaven", he said.

PM Lee noted that the country's revenue is now in balance. But beyond a point, he said, Singapore can get into trouble like the American and European economies.

And with the government doing more to help citizens, participants acknowledged that relations between state and the people will be more challenging.

For example, Mr Lee said the government cannot carry out extensive consultations like the Our Singapore Conversation exercise for policies that need urgent attention.

He cited the issue of tax.

He said: "If I'm discussing whether to raise taxes or not, I think I will never finish that discussion. So, one day when we have to raise taxes, the government will just have to make up its mind and say, 'ok, I have to decide, I have to do this, I have to persuade people', because otherwise it's not workable.

"(In) some other countries, they went round consulting 'shall we, shall we not, shall we, shall we not raise taxes?' In the end, you don't have to be very well-informed to guess what the answer was. In the end there was no conclusion and no tax increase."

A good part of the discussion was centred on youth involvement in the community.

Participants questioned if volunteer work should be institutionalised or free flowing and asked what sort of role the government can play.

Mr Lee replied that some form of support for youths who want to volunteer is useful.

And that's what the new Volunteer Youth Corp will provide.

He said: "You need some organisation to back you up. And if you can fit in, you can push it where you want to go. There's a framework there, and within that framework, if you're interested, you can come and do good work. So I think there's a nice balance, a nice way to do it. If I prescribe you having to do this, well, it may not be exactly your cup of tea."

Wrapping up the dialogue, Mr Lee again urged Singaporeans to have faith in the future of the country.

In two years, Singapore will mark its 50th anniversary of independence.

Mr Lee said it's an important milestone.

He said: "We should mark the occasion properly; 50 years is an important milestone from where we started to when we've come.

"It's been a very exciting journey and we've changed ourselves and we've changed Singapore. I don't think we should just have a fireworks display and a party. I think that would not be at a right level.

"It's an occasion for us to look back...over 50 years... What have we done? What has made this work? What do we want to do in future and also to commit ourselves to say, 'I do want to commit this for the future, let's make it happen together'."

Mr Lee announced that Education Minister Heng Swee Keat will head a committee, called S50, tasked with rolling out programmes to mark Singapore's 50th birthday.

He added that youths will be part of this celebration through community and social projects.

Channel NewsAsia will broadcast highlights of the "Prime Minister's Dialogue with Young Singaporeans" on Monday at 8pm.

- CNA

Edited by Wt_know

last time they say very difficult to take out milk powder and rice and other essentials because alot of manpower involve

how come now gold can? :D

i am all for gst because there are many people earn alot but poh kay siao

it is not fair that these people pay less tax, so gst comes into play

but how to eimplement gst leh?

hey key issue is the first $12K of expenditure a year is a reasonable amount for basic consumption

Govt should give a consistent yearly gst rebate to everyone for basic consumption: ie: $12000 * 0.07 = $840

only in this way, hen i will agree gst is fair because only in this way gst effectively only tax those with very large consumption amt

Yes bro.. good point.. rebate more to those who actually spend more on necessities than luxuries.. poor people like me normally spend $12K a year on food n pampers for my kids, and the rebate ($870) will go along way to offset the high 10% GST the Rich White Men want to shove down our throats....

rich people who spend >$12K on caviar and escargots dun care a hoot abt the puny GST rebates ba....

Yes bro.. good point.. rebate more to those who actually spend more on necessities than luxuries.. poor people like me normally spend $12K a year on food n pampers for my kids, and the rebate ($870) will go along way to offset the high 10% GST the Rich White Men want to shove down our throats....

rich people who spend >$12K on caviar and escargots dun care a hoot abt the puny GST rebates ba....

gst rebate for a certain pre-determined level of expenditure (i am recommending 12k a year) on necessities solves 2 problems:

1) a perfectly defensible position that basic necessity should not be tax

2) garmen's requirement for a solution which does not require much manpower to calculate

if the garmen is really feel that basic necessirty consumption should not be tax, then let the garmen put the money where the mouth is :D

but, be prepared, anything beyond the basic necessity consumption level will be mercilessly taxed

Citizens in debt is better than gahmen in debt...?

gahmen bankrupt mean no money to pay their civil servant meaning that civil servant maybe change job. change job liao no replacement. no replacement mean lack of staff. lack of staff mean slower processing of document. slower processing mean less attractive to MNC. MNC leave the country mean lesser job. lesser job mean higher unemployment......

many things follow. isnt there a state in USA that recently gahmen bankrupt? it started off with gahmen having debt. slowly all civil servics close shop and rich ppl start to leave... from 1.5milion ppl now only 700K in short 5 years??

I feel the government reserve, once reach a certain point liao should just maintain. Any excess should contribute back the citizen in one form or another. KNN, CPF they also have ceiling, then why not government reserves????

Not sure if this was mentioned beforeor something... but I always wonder what happened to the $ collected from Singapore pools and the integrated resorts....

↡ Advertisement