Durian Sellers - recommendations and to avoid

Aukang

what about the wang-de-fu durian stall opp the dim sum 126 at geylang? are they any good?

ive been there once and the sellers were very chatty and nice. even offered free durians (those small ones, $1/pc kind) to me and my friends. lol

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I've been buying from this guy John at blk 682 hougang.

He don't operate there all the time..he will send sms blast when his stock arrives.

When he isn't there, the stall just sell normal fruits.

Don't get mistaken by the one outside ntuc. They are different.

• Praise 1

just some additional tips for fellow MSW/Durian lovers.

timing is impt when buying durian.Fresh durian taste best. i.e it must be eaten on the same day

e.g for MSW, got 2 source usually. Pahang and johor(segamat/tagat etc)

johor reach earlier. abt 3pm hit sg.

Pahang MSW only reach in evening abt 6pm.

typically the pahang msw will taste the best in my opinion. So usually i buy durian ard 6-7pm timing. so i will have first pick of the lot.

BTW. this season msw aver price abt 12-13/kg. i don't believe in those 717/818 sell $18-20/kg msw. although good but not worth the premium.

• Praise 4

I think Sembawang Durian Seng has very good quality of durian selection.

There was once i purchased "Black Pearl" ("Hei Zhen Zhu").. WAH!!! Fantastic man, creamy and flavorful.... [thumbsup]

my personal favs now are

tekka. but kinda rare in sg. very unique bitter sweet taste. but flesh abit fibrous. not everyone likes.

Jin Feng. very small durian. but surprisingly a lot of seed. i think it's more value for money cuz you're paying less for husk. very bitter with very condensed durian smell and taste. not for beginners. lol

Ang Hei from penang. The penang red prawn v different from the ones we get in sg from johor. dunno how to describe. but generally has a sweet after taste, it's like comparing a johnny walker black label and blue label.

• Praise 1

Passed by Balestier Combat Durian yesterday, the MSW priced at $18 per kg. So expensive. Will wait for price to drop to $12.

Hi pal,

How time flies! Another year juz pass!!!

No need to wait so long for price to drop...

Ah Seng at ghim moh is selling msw at $14/kg. juz got 3 from him juz now.

He recommend another type call butter. I find it nice too! Only $7/kg

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Hi pal,

How time flies! Another year juz pass!!!

No need to wait so long for price to drop...

Ah Seng at ghim moh is selling msw at $14/kg. juz got 3 from him juz now.

He recommend another type call butter. I find it nice too! Only $7/kg

Nice! Can anyone update current price of msw? Went to serangoon 717, also $18 per kg. bought 3 small pieces already $55. Damn expensive, buay tahan.

Twincharged

just some additional tips for fellow MSW/Durian lovers.

timing is impt when buying durian.Fresh durian taste best. i.e it must be eaten on the same day

e.g for MSW, got 2 source usually. Pahang and johor(segamat/tagat etc)

johor reach earlier. abt 3pm hit sg.

Pahang MSW only reach in evening abt 6pm.

typically the pahang msw will taste the best in my opinion. So usually i buy durian ard 6-7pm timing. so i will have first pick of the lot.

BTW. this season msw aver price abt 12-13/kg. i don't believe in those 717/818 sell $18-20/kg msw. although good but not worth the premium.

Dropped by 818 last week, they wanted 22/kg. told me that the previous week was 25/kg. crazy! Went to Ah Loon along east coast road opposite holy family church and got MSW for 15/kg. more than good enough for me

• Praise 1

my personal favs now are

tekka. but kinda rare in sg. very unique bitter sweet taste. but flesh abit fibrous. not everyone likes.

Jin Feng. very small durian. but surprisingly a lot of seed. i think it's more value for money cuz you're paying less for husk. very bitter with very condensed durian smell and taste. not for beginners. lol

Ang Hei from penang. The penang red prawn v different from the ones we get in sg from johor. dunno how to describe. but generally has a sweet after taste, it's like comparing a johnny walker black label and blue label.

the only durian i eat is XO

but i would also need others like what you mentioned to go along with it.

XO bitterness makes one really blur and needed another type to normalise your taste bud before eating another XO... [cool]

(edited)

Yes, the market rate for MSW should be abt $15 thereabout. Don't pay cut throat price for it.

But MSW also got different grade, the MSW from Tangkak is diffferent from the one from Bentong or Raub. I prefer durians from hilly region, they are drier (within species) generally.

Tried D24 from an old tree recently, it is very good, better than some of the lower grade MSW I tried recently.

Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

Just bought some durians in toa payoh yesterday evening

Msw $15 per kg jinfeng $12 per kg others eg d13 ang Hei etc $8 per kg

• Praise 1

Recommend the fruit shop at Block 18 Jalan Membina level one. The uncle is nicknamed 肉丸, and is a very honest seller with reasonable prices.

At the moment, prices are Golden Phoenix 10/kg, XO 8/kg (if you buy more, he can charge at 7/kg instead).

Hypersonic

XO bitterness makes one really blur and needed another type to normalise your taste bud before eating another XO... [cool]

XO not many places have. I get my fix from hougang ave. 4.

XO not many places have. I get my fix from hougang ave. 4.

and also not many like XO as its too bitter and not forgetting, its more mushy than the rest.

Turbocharged

I like XO durian too... and Jin Feng. Black Pearl is nice too.

Ang Hei ok once in a while. (never tried penang ones before )

never really liked MSW... tried a few types including Bentong/Raub ones. Not my cup of tea.

Yong Peng roadside durian stores sometimes have really good XO and jin feng [bounce2]

and I prefer chilled durian too. Best in this hot weather.

↡ Advertisement