Advice needed for Honda Civic transmission

Grimicer

Hihi, my 2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VTi-S is having a gearbox issue.

The problem is as described below..

When travelling in 5th gear above 70kmh, if i do not step on the accelerator and let the speed slowly go below 65kmh, it automatically downshifts and i can feel like it's hunting for the 4th gear before it jerks and get in gear. This does not happen everytime.

However, when i use paddle shifters to downshift or brake from above 70kmh, it does not seem to jerk.

Anyone knows what is going on?Transmission oil is new.

Thanks!

↡ Advertisement

Like to ask more questions....What happen if you continue to cruise at 65km/h? did your tx shift down (4th gear)?

Your experience issue on tx during flat road or up slope?

For most Honda GB, if you're driving (5th gear) and hit the brake even a little, it will shift down (4th gear) anticipating of slowing.

I think no big issue with shifting down.

Edited by Tcx607

Like to ask more questions....What happen if you continue to cruise at 65km/h? did your tx shift down (4th gear)?

Your experience issue on tx during flat road or up slope?

For most Honda GB, if you're driving (5th gear) and hit the brake even a little, it will shift down (4th gear) anticipating of slowing.

I think no big issue with shifting down.

Thanks for responding! When I do not step on the accelerator, it slowly goes down to about 65kmh where it tries to downshift to 4th gear. This is the part when the gear sometimes doesn't engage for about a second.

Usually happens on flat road.

I would suggest you try in sport mode (S). Try peddle shift to 5th gear and cruise down.

See the same phenomenal still exist? It should down shift gradually without much jerk.

You may like to switch to mode S and use peddle shift. You have absolute control of gear change.

Whats your mileage? Maybe synchro teeths are worn off...

Try to high rev to above 6krpm and change gear to see if there is a intermittent loss of power in between? For healthy transmissions, power during gear shift should be good throughout.

i have an civic previously, honda are notoriously high revers, and will down shift when it senses some slowing down.

prehaps to resolve the jerking, flush and replace the ATF....that is the cheapest...

i have an civic previously, honda are notoriously high revers, and will down shift when it senses some slowing down.

prehaps to resolve the jerking, flush and replace the ATF....that is the cheapest...

Agree thats the best solution as its cheapest hope all is good after changing. Workshop normally recommend 30-40k change ATF however when you car aged as well as mileage clock upwards 20k interval will be better for Honda vehicle. Remember Honda use only original ATF do not use after market! Not worth to save abit......

Hi all, i am owning a civic fd1 1.8 and would like to change the original gear knob, but i consulted some shops to find out that it is impossible to change the original gear knob. Anybody know of any suggestions?

Hi all, i am owning a civic fd1 1.8 and would like to change the original gear knob, but i consulted some shops to find out that it is impossible to change the original gear knob. Anybody know of any suggestions?

impossible

Agree thats the best solution as its cheapest hope all is good after changing. Workshop normally recommend 30-40k change ATF however when you car aged as well as mileage clock upwards 20k interval will be better for Honda vehicle. Remember Honda use only original ATF do not use after market! Not worth to save abit......

Hi, can i know what is ATF?

Hihi, my2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VTi-S is having a gearbox issue.

When travelling in 5th gear above 70kmh, if i do not step on the accelerator and let the speed slowly go below 65kmh, it automatically downshifts and i can feel like it's hunting for the 4th gear before it jerks and get in gear. This does not happen everytime.

However, when i use paddle shifters to downshift or brake from above 70kmh, it does not seem to jerk.

Thanks!

Bro drive down to us (Dynamics Mechanic) garage, we will give your a free check on your gearing problem. If need any repair, we will give you a quote. It might be some pressure switch malfunction and nothing related to your gearbox (hope so).

Drive down to DM and we will help you out :) Don't continue driving and worsen your car conditions.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/directory/merchant.php?MID=14157

Check on our Reviews from sgcarmart Customers.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=220

Edited by DMSG

i don't quite agree, the VTEC would definitely cut in at below 3000rpm, 2nd stage and 3 stage. if you traveled 80/90 km and your rpm goes above 3000 then i think there is problem with your civic. Honda produces very efficient engines.

Hihi, my 2006 Honda Civic 1.8 VTi-S is having a gearbox issue.

Thanks!

always like to play with the paddle shift mist of the time instead of driving the car in its auto mode?

Neutral Newbie

Hi

I have a question about gearbox too, as i'm also driving Honda (stream though) too.

Gear change around 2000 to 2100 rpm but it will drop back to 1300 to 1500 rpm. After that, the rpm will climb up slowly & repeat the process.

Sometimes, the acceleration will hanged & gearbox will drop to the next lower gear.

Can anyone shed some lights about this?

Many thanks!

Turbocharged

Hi

I have a question about gearbox too, as i'm also driving Honda (stream though) too.

Gear change around 2000 to 2100 rpm but it will drop back to 1300 to 1500 rpm. After that, the rpm will climb up slowly & repeat the process.

Sometimes, the acceleration will hanged & gearbox will drop to the next lower gear.

Can anyone shed some lights about this?

Many thanks!

Huh? I thought rpm drop after moving up in gear is normal? And if your car no power to accelerate more (probably going upslope), dropping to the lower gear is also normal?

Neutral Newbie

Huh? I thought rpm drop after moving up in gear is normal? And if your car no power to accelerate more (probably going upslope), dropping to the lower gear is also normal?

Hi Celicar

Thanks for the reply.

Tried my friend's honda stream, gear change at 2000 - 2100 rpm (similar) but his next rpm dropped to 1800 rpm instead of 1300 - 1500 rpm. Acceleration is on level ground and sometimes going upslope, the gear will hanged for a few seconds before downshifting.

Maybe like u said, it's normal for auto car to react this way. It's just me overly paranoid. Anyway, really thank you for reading and replying.

↡ Advertisement