Battery change reset radio frequency

Ericongy

I changed car battery yesterday night and realised that my radio frequency and all others HU setting had been reset.

so just wana check with you guys is this the norm? or something had not been done correctly?

↡ Advertisement

I had the same problem during my last servicing. My digital clock and radio all gotta be re-set, no problem for me. Anyway now I listen to CDs..... [:p]

Most likely the mechanic didn't attach a backup battery before removing the old battery terminals. Of course the radio got reset. Possibly even the ECU got reset.

Most likely the mechanic didn't attach a backup battery before removing the old battery terminals. Of course the radio got reset. Possibly even the ECU got reset.

ECU also can get reset with a simple battery change? Scary. First time I heard, but must take note. [sweatdrop]

Ofcourse yr radio and other settings will not be erased because the alternator is providing the power which nornally need not more than 5volts but without the battery yr alternator may have pump in more volts and amps than you can image. The end result is some electrical components or electronic circuits may have suffered damages but not major enough to cause engine immediate " death". Overtime the slight damaged components or circuit boards will suffer premature death.

Most cars will have their radio frequency preset lost when the battery is disconnected.

Unless that car has special backup battery built-in somewhere.

Supercharged

Yes, when battery disconnected, the radio settings will be lost and clock timing will become 0.00 :wacko:

Only the mileage reading is not affected. Anyone knows why?

Yes, when battery disconnected, the radio settings will be lost and clock timing will become 0.00 :wacko:

I also want to know y and how [lipsrsealed]

I changed car battery yesterday night and realised that my radio frequency and all others HU setting had been reset.

so just wana check with you guys is this the norm? or something had not been done correctly?

Dunno if I sud reply to u cos u r banned, but.............Most good battery shops now wil connect a small 9v back up battery to yr ciggy lighter socket when ty disconnect yr battery to prevent loss of stored info in yr radio,HU n ECU.

Some run the engine when ty disconnect yr battery but this is very dangerous cos if the + terminal touches the body, u can short yr alternator n ty not going to repair it for u. Ty wil just say sorry....its like that. [furious]

QUOTE (TVT @ Sep 11 2013, 12:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, when battery disconnected, the radio settings will be lost and clock timing will become 0.00 wacko.gif

I also want to know y and how lipsrsealed.gif

Cos the odometer has a back-up battery to save the mileage. Otherwise dealers just need to disconnect the battery n the old 9 year old banger suddenly has a mileage of a brand new car.

The last time I change battery the mechanic just start the engine and while it's running replaced the battery. Nothing got reset. I think almost a year ago liao.

Ya n if it shorts yr alternator, then u wil need to spend a bomb to get it fixed. Quite risky hor.

QUOTE (Alpha78 @ Sep 10 2013, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ECU also can get reset with a simple battery change? Scary. First time I heard, but must take note. sweatdrop.gif

ECU reset is only a soft reset of yr driving style etc. The ECU wil re-learn yr driving style in a very short time.

While it is learning, u might feel yr car slightly different only.

My signaling lights failed after a battery change, the mechanic says it's a fuse blown, replace without any charges.

Ty prob caused the blown fuse when ty changed yr battery. Not a very professional place.

Supercharged

Dunno if I sud reply to u cos u r banned, but.............Most good battery shops now wil connect a small 9v back up battery to yr ciggy lighter socket when ty disconnect yr battery to prevent loss of stored info in yr radio,HU n ECU.

Some run the engine when ty disconnect yr battery but this is very dangerous cos if the + terminal touches the body, u can short yr alternator n ty not going to repair it for u. Ty wil just say sorry....its like that. [furious]

Cos the odometer has a back-up battery to save the mileage. Otherwise dealers just need to disconnect the battery n the old 9 year old banger suddenly has a mileage of a brand new car.

Ya n if it shorts yr alternator, then u wil need to spend a bomb to get it fixed. Quite risky hor.

ECU reset is only a soft reset of yr driving style etc. The ECU wil re-learn yr driving style in a very short time.

Ty prob caused the blown fuse when ty changed yr battery. Not a very professional place.

How can they not be responsible for the damage, if they had caused it (during the process of a battery change) ? It should be their due dilgence to ensure the proper method is applied....no meh ? :o

Oh the odometer has backup battery. I didn't know.

Then why no backup battery for radio and clock wor...??? [confused]

And change car battery can cause light's fuse to blown....wow, next time after I change battery, must test all the lightings are working before paying up. :D

ehhh.. bro Pisces69, i not banned leh.. thats my avatar...

Anw, thanks for your info. always find your comments useful.. [:)]

I think instead of a backup battery, the odometer may be saving the milage to the memory of the ECU or some where instead?

Otherwise, if that battery also die, how leh?

How can they not be responsible for the damage, if they had caused it (during the process of a battery change) ? It should be their due dilgence to ensure the proper method is applied....no meh ? :o

Oh the odometer has backup battery. I didn't know.

Then why no backup battery for radio and clock wor...??? [confused]

And change car battery can cause light's fuse to blown....wow, next time after I change battery, must test all the lightings are working before paying up. :D

Sometimes the damage is not apparent immediately.

Even if it is, ty wil likely just do a simple repair just to get u out of the shop then ty wun entertain u anymore.

U can try to get them to fix a serious problem but ty wil just ignore u. Then what u do? Alternative is to sue them in court. U wan to go that far?

ehhh.. bro Pisces69, i not banned leh.. thats my avatar...

Anw, thanks for your info. always find your comments useful.. [:)]

Ya I know lah. Hahaha. Just disturb u only. [grin]

↡ Advertisement