In-car cameras drive more to report offences

Darthrevan

ST_20130915_JYCAMERA15_3838574e.jpg

With more motorists installing surveillance cameras in their vehicles, some have taken to playing traffic vigilantes when they capture footage of others breaking the rules.

"It's like a neighbourhood watch group, except it's on the road," said Mr Jonathan Thong, 45, who has submitted 12 such videos to the Traffic Police in the past year.

The project manager and father of two believes he is helping to promote road safety. If errant drivers know their behaviour might be recorded and reported to the authorities, they may be encouraged to be more courteous on the road, he said.

The videos he sent to the Traffic Police were taken on different occasions and included incidents of motorists who made illegal turns, crossed double white lines and stopped in yellow boxes.

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/...fences-20130915

↡ Advertisement

What goes around come around.

I am quite happy with that. LTA and TP would go for the more serious ones. Let them decide whether to prosecute.

I have a number of footages but only sent those serious ones. It takes me at least 15 minutes to send one.

What to do when ppl are too free...

TP will be more relax now...

When people do that, the raod can be safer. I am all for it. considering that it is quite difficult to recruit TP, this is a good move.

illegal U-Turn, crossing double white line. stopping in yellow box. I believe most of car drivers done those mistakes before. I'm supporting the summiting of videos to TP, but not cases like this "self-righteous" guy do down here. summiting every little offence. I have quite a numbers of reckless driving videos, and tons of such errands video. but I will only summit when they are very serious, or when accident happened. every one makes mistakes. imagine when you walk, a piece of tissue drops out from your pocket and you are charge and slap with fine for it?

illegal U-Turn, crossing double white line. stopping in yellow box. I believe most of car drivers done those mistakes before. I'm supporting the summiting of videos to TP, but not cases like this "self-righteous" guy do down here. summiting every little offence. I have quite a numbers of reckless driving videos, and tons of such errands video. but I will only summit when they are very serious, or when accident happened. every one makes mistakes. imagine when you walk, a piece of tissue drops out from your pocket and you are charge and slap with fine for it?

Sensible approach. Running red lights, illegal turns, etc that pose dangers should be reported while everyone of us has our own fair share of less than desirable driving lapses. Live and let live where we can.

The news article also mentioned that those who submitted their video clip are to be prepared to appear in court if there're any dispute. Mata not going to defend the content of those videos on your behalf. :ph34r:

why submit the video unless it is life threatening that almost causes accident?

i think it is a terrible move... similar to stomp..

you see people kena stomp when they sit priority seats on train.. but there is no pregnant ladies, elderly or handicap around.

now many Singaporeans I heard don't dare to sit priority sit coz scare kena stomp...

these people really need to know what is etiquette.. camera is to use as evidence in the event of dispute.. not suka suka upload here upload there...

all watch too much super hero movies..

they should do up a national campaign,

valid submission, $2 off road tax.....

then people whole day submitting

its like TP on the road x 1000

they should do up a national campaign,

valid submission, $2 off road tax.....

then people whole day submitting

its like TP on the road x 1000

then you will see a lot of cars parking in car park. all scared to get caught for doing minor offence.

This morning, I had an idiot driving a jazz cut into my lane (1) on SLE/CTE abruptly.

After I honked him (weakly - kei car horn), he started to play punk and paddle on the brakes for no apparent reasons

except to irritate me or to cause a rear end accident.

He only stopped when I pointed at my in car camera.

These idiots need to be taught how to drive.

↡ Advertisement