Your best car thread

Jiannshan

Dear MCFers,

Been following MCF for awhile and i like all the fair and honest comments about all the different rides here albeit most i read are negative stuff. Haha!

Eg, VW and beemers not reliable

Lexus overpriced

Blah blah blah.

This thread is for car owners to share the GOOD things about their cars, or the good things in the cars they had driven before.

For example, i like my family's previous GS300. Good, reliable, comfortable all the way to almost 200k mileage without much maintenance issues.

All types of rides and positive comments are welcome here! Cheers! :)

↡ Advertisement

After 3 years plus owning the Renault Megane 2 1.6 sedan, i have not faced any major issues (knock on wood). Maybe due to the fact that i bought the last batch of this model and they probably ironed out most of the bugs.

The car may be slow off the line due to its weight, but it is superb on the expressways and malaysian highways (Can easily average 170kph). Fuel consumption is average at 9-10km/l. Goes down to 8km/l for start stop driving.

Owners must be prepared to spend on preventative maintenance. I stress this because the major servicing at 60,000km which includes timing belts, water pump, brake bleed etc cost almost 1.5K. The car may be cheap to buy but its not cheap (comparing to BnB jippun cars) to maintain.

My uncle is driving a 2007 model at 230,000km so far and has gone for 2 timing belt changes. So the car will serve well if the owner does not scrimp on maintenance (saying goes for all cars).

Pros:

Comfortable on long trips

Decent equipment

Hatchback design looks timeless

Good mid-range torque

Safety features and tough outer shell

Good road holding on B-roads (i still prefer my ford focus though)

Low depreciation

Cons:

Rattling sounds from dashboard/interior panels

Ancient 4-speed adaptive autobox

Acceleration will lose to most BnB cars

Expensive in terms of regular maintenance intervals

Prone to common faults such as iggy failures, power window failure, gearbox solenoid etc

AD workmanship sucks balls

Edited by Nullifi3d

230k km? Wow. Ur uncle still driving it now?

Yes he's still driving when i visited him on saturday. Actually only singaporeans got the concept that cars don't last after 10 years, or 150,000km.

With replacement of wear and tear parts and regular servicing cars generally can last. Its the same thing with my brother who bought a 14yr old volvo S70 albeit in a different continent.

Supercharged

After 3 years plus owning the Renault Megane 2 1.6 sedan, i have not faced any major issues (knock on wood). Maybe due to the fact that i bought the last batch of this model and they probably ironed out most of the bugs.

The car may be slow off the line due to its weight, but it is superb on the expressways and malaysian highways (Can easily average 170kph). Fuel consumption is average at 9-10km/l. Goes down to 8km/l for start stop driving.

Yup, Renault engines are like that. Slow take-off, but once on the highway, it is stable and has very good handling.

Btw, why you give it up after 3 years?

Yup, Renault engines are like that. Slow take-off, but once on the highway, it is stable and has very good handling.

Btw, why you give it up after 3 years?

I didn't mention anything about giving up. :D

Just spent quite abit on the major servicing which should serve me well for the next 3 years.

I think it depends on when and what you need at that point in time.

on my 8th car now since I got my first at 21.

When I just ORD and waiting for uni, my suzuki swift was the best car. simply becos all I wanted was a car. the sunny was next best cos everyone was driving one and it was reliable. the sonata was best cos it was spacious and can do naughty things in it. LOL.

The 156 was my next best car. It was engaging, rare and sexy. The brera was sexy and gets all the attention. the MINI was good becos of its balance and open-top and chick magnet.

The grand picasso catered to all my family needs. I'd say it's the absolute best car for the family.

Now the S300L is the best car - love the expression on people's faces when they asked me "your dad's car?" and I told them with a straight face "nope, my own."

kidding lah.

the comfort - seriously good. everyday I drive my wife home from work she would take a nap in it and feel so refreshed.

So bro, wat is going to be your next best car after s300?

I had actually wanted a cayenne but couldnt find a suitable (read: cheap) unit..... but yeah maybe next one is a cayenne if things go well?

see how lah. man proposes, heaven disposes.

Bread and Butter Car Comment

My dad owned a Nissan Sunny previously and it was good and hardy. Never experienced any break downs as my dad sticks to all the maintenance and check his car to ensure it is well maintained. Drove it till end of life (Dad is first owner) and had to scrap it. Since then, my family has no car till I bought my first car. A KIA Cerato Forte 2009 model.

Going to be my 5th year driving the car (1st Owner) and it has not given me any major issues besides dying once (no batt) cos my sis drove the car and left the internal car lights on. Did a lot of road trips up north and I would say it has served me well.

I think the most impt in owning the car is to give it loads of TLC by bringing it to the service centre when the time is up or having some due diligence to check all the basics (brakes, engine oil, steering fluid, etc). Save a lot of trouble having the car dying on you when you need it.

Best car for my own,

BMW E60 523i

Yeah, it's so called troublesome car, not reliable for some people, but who care.

It's driving experience was so joyful at least much much better than my ex Hyundai Elantra MD for my personal feel.

Inline 6 + Remus quad is great roar without annoying others.

Interior actually smaller than Camry, cabin layout is simple and neat, no high tech gadget compare to Lexus and Audi.

Comfort level, Lexus GS300 is better.

When came to cornering and spirit drive, it does create some fun, as for some FC guardian, SORRY, my fc 1L/6.5kmon urban drive, as my mileage only approx 12k km per years, so nothing much affect on me but not on some people rely on car for their work nature.

So far i did replace some wear and tear parts such as water pump, thermostat, coilover, steering pump.

Conclusion,

I love and enjoy it.

This is a personal experience post , if you don't like BMW please ignore it.

Best car for my own,

BMW E60 523i

Yeah, it's so called troublesome car, not reliable for some people, but who care.

It's driving experience was so joyful at least much much better than my ex Hyundai Elantra MD for my personal feel.

Inline 6 + Remus quad is great roar without annoying others.

Interior actually smaller than Camry, cabin layout is simple and neat, no high tech gadget compare to Lexus and Audi.

Comfort level, Lexus GS300 is better.

When came to cornering and spirit drive, it does create some fun, as for some FC guardian, SORRY, my fc 1L/6.5kmon urban drive, as my mileage only approx 12k km per years, so nothing much affect on me but not on some people rely on car for their work nature.

So far i did replace some wear and tear parts such as water pump, thermostat, coilover, steering pump.

Conclusion,

I love and enjoy it.

This is a personal experience post , if you don't like BMW please ignore it.

tats the problem, its a poison which will make u stick to a bimmer for the rest of your life [laugh] [laugh]

↡ Advertisement