Wheels hitting fender

Kurty

I see what you mean now.

I hope i'm able to explain this clearly. In summary, camber only solves 1 issue. It solves clearance at a standstill (static). When a car is loaded, that is another problem which cannot be solved fully using camber.

Will explain why:

Negative camber allows the rim to tilt inwards - that we know for sure. That's short and sweet!

The other thing to consider is suspension geometry which is independent of camber/toe/whatever. It determines how the rim moves up and down. Imagine your elbow being bolted/affixed/stuck to the table you're on right now. If you try to move your hand, it can only move left or right in an arc. Am i clear so far?

Relating this to your car: Your hand is where the rim is mounted. Regardless of camber, the rim will still move up and down depending on the amount of load WITH that restricted amount of movement. If the top of the rim doesn't touch the nut/bolt, the middle section may hit it eventually - with sufficient loading.

To solve this:

0) Raise the height of the car, assuming you're on coilovers?

1) Reduce tyre profile; also reduces the cars overall ground clearance

2) Increase the offset of the rim aka buy a new one

3) Disregard and scrub it away forever!

4) Widebody after that :)

Its hard to get a picture in that area. But i will try. Meanwhile, let me explain and see if you can picture it.

Before cambering, whole tire is outside of the body.

After cambering, only the top half of the tyre is inside the body. Bottom half is still outside.

By right, after cambering tire rubbing fender is not going to happen anymore even with three passenger at the back but there is this bolt that secure the rear bumper to the fender.

When car is lowered with the load, the bolt got closer to the tire, thus causing the tire to rub on the bolt when going upslope and uneven roads.

i found this picture, http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/danxcore/Dis_zps0c099bbd.png

Edited by Karbonphyber
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Yes I understand what you explained. Thank you for the effort.

Im not on coilover. Still saving up for one. I was thinking a harder ride might be able to solve the issue. Anyway, that wont be happening soon.

Reduce tire profile means selling my two months old tires. LOL. Nankang 225/45 17'' If i were to sell the tyres and try with a lower tire profile tire, I think it makes more sense to sell it off with the rims to someone who is able to comprehend this offset on their ride. Not going to play with such big offset anymore.

If i were to persist, reducing tyre profile is an option.

Anyway, the handling is worse than stock rim. Don't even talk about this big topic of handling, it just means turning the steering is harder than before. And my FC is like 8.5km/litre. Devastating.

Thanks so much again! Shall do some thinking on my own.

What was the original size of the rim/tyre on the car? Was it 14/15" before?

No dramas. anything just ask :)

Yes I understand what you explained. Thank you for the effort.

Im not on coilover. Still saving up for one. I was thinking a harder ride might be able to solve the issue. Anyway, that wont be happening soon.

Reduce tire profile means selling my two months old tires. LOL. Nankang 225/45 17'' If i were to sell the tyres and try with a lower tire profile tire, I think it makes more sense to sell it off with the rims to someone who is able to comprehend this offset on their ride. Not going to play with such big offset anymore.

If i were to persist, reducing tyre profile is an option.

Anyway, the handling is worse than stock rim. Don't even talk about this big topic of handling, it just means turning the steering is harder than before. And my FC is like 8.5km/litre. Devastating.

Thanks so much again! Shall do some thinking on my own.

XXRs are beautiful. we use them on track in oz. stretched to the max!

These will come in more aggressive (in relation to FWD offsets) offsets and cause issues if used in a FWD in appropriately.

High chances it's offset causing this issue which is why i brought up changing rims to get a more suitable offset rim if that's the case.

Stock is 16". Wheels is a difficult thing to understand. actually its not the size or the 225 causing this problem, isnt it? Its the offset of the rim right?

i am using this http://www.xxrwheels.com/xxr_527.shtml

Neutral Newbie

Yes, finally can reply. My next reply can only be done at 2314H.

Oh wow. You are really active in the racing scene. Impressive!

Anyway, I have posted online to sell the rims and tyres.

Have decided to change. Now the problem is what rim. What should i be looking for?

Am i supposed to watch out for the maximum width of the rim? So that the rim is flush inside the fender.

How can i know the maximum offset i can do on my car?

THANKS

Supercharged

aiyo, you should just change the tire with me.

i'm 215/45/17, but my rim offset is 20, 8.5jj,

your 225/45/17, gonna be sexy for mine.

Can always come and find me. i'll do some math for you and you can then see what kinda rims will fit.

karbonphyber@g------- mail.com

Yes, finally can reply. My next reply can only be done at 2314H.

Oh wow. You are really active in the racing scene. Impressive!

Anyway, I have posted online to sell the rims and tyres.

Have decided to change. Now the problem is what rim. What should i be looking for?

Am i supposed to watch out for the maximum width of the rim? So that the rim is flush inside the fender.

How can i know the maximum offset i can do on my car?

THANKS

Still in Brisbane lo

therefore the R33 in your avatar. nobody in singapore should have an R33 avatar. lol

hows life? i'm back for a bit so i'm bringing back my racing knowledge in my brain for any singaporean that actually cares about their car.

always keen to help a brother out. :)

Hahaha. Good man. If everyone share like you this world will be a better place.

Cant wait to go back next month for makan.

A lot of people here with aggressive offset lso rmove the inner guards.

therefore the R33 in your avatar. nobody in singapore should have an R33 avatar. lol

hows life? i'm back for a bit so i'm bringing back my racing knowledge in my brain for any singaporean that actually cares about their car.

always keen to help a brother out. :)

Hahaha. Good man. If everyone share like you this world will be a better place.

Cant wait to go back next month for makan.

A lot of people here with aggressive offset lso rmove the inner guards.

well, gimme a call then. go out for makan.

true. i sliced and diced mine up to accommodate my 17x9.5 -20s

↡ Advertisement