are you for mandatory military service?

Chilidawg

national service  

63 members have voted

1. 1. are you for mandatory military service?

• yes
    • no

Since its mandatory, what choice do I have?

Does that mean you are of the view that we DO NOT live in a democracy? That we cannot pool together to fight a common fight and actually make a change?

• Dislike 1

Very simple, if serve military can get $1 million / year and $100,000 / year after ORD, there will be no need for mandatory enlistment. People will Q up for interview and test overnight. But will this scenario happen? So........

We used marnie to try solve all our problems except this one. Hahahahaha.

Edited by Kangadrool

Turbocharged

Until the day the number our regular soldiers can match up to the army of our neighboring countries or our neighbors decided to downsize their army to our strength, mandatory military is here to stay....

I serve for almost 2.5 years. still doing ICTs, & often member of SAF fitness club, aka RT.

NS is a requirement, Our peace is not guarantee, it's not a birth right. If we do not have a strong army; there is nothing stopping our neighbours to take over our nation & claim it belong to them (bringing up age old history, when we are part of so & so kingdom).

We are a very small nation, living in a critical zone, this is unfortunately necessary as we do not have the manpower.

What we can do, however, is to streamline such that NS can be shorten while not affect quality, as well as make it in a way we are not at a disadvantages compare to people who have not served.

• Praise 5

Supercharged

Does that mean you are of the view that we DO NOT live in a democracy? That we cannot pool together to fight a common fight and actually make a change?

We do live in democracy. That is why we have GE!

Actually what is your aim of asking this question? What "common fight" are you referring to?

• Praise 2

NS is necesary. But the 10 cycles of ICT/IPPT is too much too disruptive.. Especially for those ex regulars who will have to serve these ICTs till 40 as most of them left the force at the end of their first contract at ard age 30.... [:|]

We do live in democracy. That is why we have GE!

Actually what is your aim of asking this question?

Was just curious as to the percentage that are for/ against

What "common fight" are you referring to?

Really, any issue that the people collectively feel strongly about.
  • Dislike 1

Democracy is not free.

Many died bearing arms just to protect this ideal.

I'm for it but I think we should impose mandatory public service - not necessarily limited to military service - to all new citizens for the same length of time. Examples include nursing in healthcare and volunteer work in charitable organizations.

It is fair and does not leave a bad taste in the mouth :D

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

as long no unnecessary actives (such as area cleaning and doing those nonsense things) and pure military training, I think is ok.

I feel, if our military had a wayyy better pay package and if our country had fostered the culture like in the US where all their soldiers are very much respected and seen as heroes, a volunteery military will be viable in our little island. Heck, we may probably even have bigger numbers than the amount of regulars we have now.

I know I would have. Alas, I'm afraid to kenna Stomp for sitting in the MRT or Bus, or the possibility of having a bleak future where they can choose to keep you after the first 10yrs or not.

as long no unnecessary actives (such as area cleaning and doing those nonsense things) and pure military training, I think is ok.

The so-called unnecessary activities are to build up the soldiers' discipline. It may seem bo liao, but thats why all other militaries also still continue this practice.

↡ Advertisement