Peak-time drive to city 'worst from Bukit Timah' at 35 mins

Darthrevan

20131011_peakhourbukittimah_st_ride_0.jp

Construction work for the Downtown Line's King Albert Park MRT station. Bukit Timah residents face the worst drive to and from work in the city centre, a survey has found.
Bukit Timah residents face the worst drive to and from work in the city centre, a survey has found.
Drivers who leave for work between 7am and 9am spend an average of 35 minutes on congested roads, double the time it takes when the roads are clear.
"It's exactly true, it's really really congested," said Bukit Timah resident Marlene Teo, 36, a dentist. "I work in town so I have to leave earlier for work and try to come back early around 6pm to beat the traffic."
Residents like her blame the slow drive on extensive construction work and a concentration of schools in the area.
TomTom, the world's leading provider of in-car location and navigation products and services, today released its second study on travel times to and from 15 Singapore suburbs during peak-hour traffic.
Bukit Timah topped the charts as the overall worst suburb for the peak-hour commute, replacing Clementi and Tampines, which took "line honors" for both morning and afternoon peak-hour commutes, in TomTom's first study two years ago.
In a comparison of peak and off-peak travel times, Bukit Timah recorded a 111 per cent increase in travel times in the mornings and a 97 per cent increase in evening travel times*.
In the latest study this year, Clementi featured as the 2nd worst suburb for the morning commute, with a 97 per cent increase in travel time during peak-hours compared to free flow traffic, extending its position as one of Singapore's most congested suburbs during peak-hour since the pioneer study was published in 2010.
It was ranked as the 3rd worst suburb for evening commute with a 93 per cent increase in travel time.
Two years ago, Tampines ranked the worst for morning commute, but has improved this year to rank 10th worst for morning commute.
The eastern suburb, previously ranked the best for evening commute, has now been relegated to the 6th worst for evening commute in the latest study. The drop in ranking for evening commute could be due to a variety of factors such as changing driving patterns and road developments in the area.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

20131011_peakhourbukittimah_st_ride_0.jp

Construction work for the Downtown Line's King Albert Park MRT station. Bukit Timah residents face the worst drive to and from work in the city centre, a survey has found.

Bukit Timah residents face the worst drive to and from work in the city centre, a survey has found.

Drivers who leave for work between 7am and 9am spend an average of 35 minutes on congested roads, double the time it takes when the roads are clear.

"It's exactly true, it's really really congested," said Bukit Timah resident Marlene Teo, 36, a dentist. "I work in town so I have to leave earlier for work and try to come back early around 6pm to beat the traffic."

Residents like her blame the slow drive on extensive construction work and a concentration of schools in the area.

TomTom, the world's leading provider of in-car location and navigation products and services, today released its second study on travel times to and from 15 Singapore suburbs during peak-hour traffic.

Bukit Timah topped the charts as the overall worst suburb for the peak-hour commute, replacing Clementi and Tampines, which took "line honors" for both morning and afternoon peak-hour commutes, in TomTom's first study two years ago.

In a comparison of peak and off-peak travel times, Bukit Timah recorded a 111 per cent increase in travel times in the mornings and a 97 per cent increase in evening travel times*.

In the latest study this year, Clementi featured as the 2nd worst suburb for the morning commute, with a 97 per cent increase in travel time during peak-hours compared to free flow traffic, extending its position as one of Singapore's most congested suburbs during peak-hour since the pioneer study was published in 2010.

It was ranked as the 3rd worst suburb for evening commute with a 93 per cent increase in travel time.

Two years ago, Tampines ranked the worst for morning commute, but has improved this year to rank 10th worst for morning commute.

The eastern suburb, previously ranked the best for evening commute, has now been relegated to the 6th worst for evening commute in the latest study. The drop in ranking for evening commute could be due to a variety of factors such as changing driving patterns and road developments in the area.

Map: http://media.straitstimes.com/bukit-timah/bukittimah.html

Source: http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/singapore/story/35-minutes-peak-time-drive-city-worst-bukit-timah-survey-20131012

I had to spend 25 to 30 min to get to my workplace in town during peak hour. On sunday it takes 10 min only

• Praise 1

One of the prettiest dentists I have ever seen!

How come these surveys and newspapers know who to look for, for comments??

Cannot be so chun get a chio bu dentist and staying in Bt Timah rite? Must be someone recomm for comments??

Talk abt connections even for surveys and mass media comments... hmmmm......

Supercharged

http://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/bukit-timah-named-singapore-suburb-050000495.html

We got alot of lich MCFers staying there...... [laugh]

Overtaking relatively improved Clementi and Tampines.

A newly released study from TomTom, an in-car location and navigation products and services provider, revealed travel times to and from 15 Singapore suburbs during peak-hour traffic, and naming Bukit Timah the worst of those surveyed.

Bukit Timah topped the charts as the overall worst suburb for peak-hour commute, replacing Clementi and Tampines, which took "line honors" for both morning and afternoon peak-hour commutes, in TomTom's first study two years ago.

In a comparison of peak and off-peak travel times, Bukit Timah recorded a 111 per cent increase in travel times in the mornings and a 97 per cent increase in evening travel times, based on percentage difference in travel time 7-9am compared with 1-5am.

In the latest study this year, Clementi featured as the second worst suburb for the morning commute, with a 97 per cent increase in travel time during peak-hours compared to free flow traffic, extending its position as one of Singapore's most congested suburbs during peak-hour since the pioneer study was published in 2010. It was ranked as the third worst suburb for evening commute with a 93 per cent increase in travel time.

Two years ago, Tampines ranked the worst for morning commute, but was improved this year to rank 10th worst for morning commute. The eastern suburb, previously ranked the best for evening commute, has now been relegated to the sixth worst for evening commute in the latest study.

The drop in ranking for evening commute could be due to a variety of factors such as changing driving patterns and road developments in the area.

The top three areas least affected by morning peak-hour traffic are Changi Airport, Pasir Ris and Sengkang, where travel times to the city increased 31, 44 and 45 per cent respectively during rush hours compared to times when traffic was free-flowing. These three suburbs were also least affected by evening commute, although the percentage increase is higher than that in the morning.

Travel times from the suburbs were measures to and from a central point: Raffles Place, Singapore. Travel times in the two busiest periods, between 7-9am and 5-7pm, were compared with the quietest period from 1-5am.

Data were gathered using TomTom's database of real travel times, said to be the largest in the world, and powered by its unique IQ Routes technology which analyses this data and calculates the optimal route to drivers and the most accurate travel times. IQ Routes is available on all TomTom GPS products, mobile applications and maps in Singapore.

One of the prettiest dentists I have ever seen!

Did the news report come with the picture of the dentist? Haha.. After reading the report, saw the dentist, promptly forgot the report.. I think I need my tooth fixed, and soon..

Think about it:

Left lane = buses stopping, car dropping off children, leotards who pretend they are in tour de france and must cycle there during peak hour (muz gib 1.5m gap n cannot honk wor otherwise they may block u in front and kena challenged to a fight.......we scared leh)

Right lane = numerous U-turns and straight thru traffic being caught behind U-turning cars becoz the the cockanathan in front din give turning signal

Middle lane = bottleneck coz everyone trying to chiong here n motorbike squeezing thru

Not to mention the numerous 'chicanes' from the MRT F1 circuit.

How not to jam?

Did the news report come with the picture of the dentist? Haha.. After reading the report, saw the dentist, promptly forgot the report.. I think I need my tooth fixed, and soon..

I am sure you have deep pockets to visit that dentist. [grin]

I am sure you have deep pockets to visit that dentist. [grin]

to finance her property in Bukit Timah :D

maybe you need to pay $100 even before she lay her hand on you, then go by per min charge excluding whatever tool & accessories applied.

There is a lot of condos that are filling up these 2 yrs.. From barker road all the way to Tessarina.. i think at least 10 new condos...

The number of vehicles using these roads increase by alot. Also the there is little alternative route once you are trapped along the main road.. :|

Then , there is roadwork due to 1) canel work 2) MRT 3) Opennet work ... once in a while there will be sunken road and extreme flooding... *sigh*

not forgetting.. fallen trees...

and sebei many bicycle riding ang mos.

Edited by ShepherdPie