Drink driving arrests rise 10% in first half of 2013

Zxcvb

once caught direct jail sentence of at least 2months, or if drink-driving that caused accident min 48 months.

I think should be enough to deter ....those who think money can fight their way out can reconsider.

• Praise 1

Seriously. what is so hard to understand this simple rule?

And the penalty should be to make them drink and ride a motorbike

I do know that there are people that drink and ride...

I wonder how they have the balls to do that..

once caught direct jail sentence of at least 2months, or if drink-driving that caused accident min 48 months.

I think should be enough to deter ....those who think money can fight their way out can reconsider.

should add caning.

maximum 1 stroke for first offender. enough deterrence alr

Edited by Mllcg
  • Praise 1

should add caning.

maximum 1 stroke for first offender. enough deterrence alr

No use... then how about female drink and drive...? they got no caning

they are review the penalty on drink driving, hope to implement a more harsh penalty on these drivers.

Please see the new rules on drink driving:

........................................................................................................................................................................................

DRINK-DRIVING laws here are now easier to apply, following new sentencing guidelines laid down by Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon.

After surveying recent cases, the CJ said yesterday that the starting point for punishment of offenders should be the level of alcohol in an offender's body. Any "aggravating or mitigating" factors should then be considered.

He spelt out four bands of punishment for first-time offenders. Each contains a range of sentences, based on the level of alcohol in excess of the legal limit of 35 microgrammes (ug) per 100 millilitres of breath:

• $1,000 to $2,000 in fines, and a driving ban of 12 to 18 months, for offenders with between 35 and 54 ug;

• $2,000 to $3,000 and 18 to 24 months, for offenders with 55-69 ug;

• $3,000 to $4,000 and 24 to 36 months, for those with 70-89 ug;

• More than $4,000 and 36 to 48 months or longer, for those with at least 90ug.

CJ Menon stressed, however, that the benchmarks were "neutral starting points" in categories that were flexible. He noted, among other things, that the level of alcohol tolerance would vary from person to person.

Some factors then to be considered include how dangerous the offender's actions were, how much harm was actually caused, and how cooperative he was.

He handed down the new guidelines in the High Court yesterday, while reducing Mr Edwin Suse Nathen's punishment for driving with 64ug of alcohol in his blood in November last year - about 1.82 times the legal limit - to a 21-month ban and $2,500 fine.

The 36-year-old had been sentenced to a $3,000 fine plus a two-year driving ban after pleading guilty in May this year.

But he appealed against the punishment handed down by a district court.

His lawyer, Mr Nirmal Singh, argued that Mr Edwin's case was less serious than other cases.

CJ Menon pointed out that Mr Edwin's case lacked any "aggravating or mitigating factors".

But he held the punishment was "manifestly excessive".

Drink-driving, which carries disqualification for at least a year plus a maximum of $5,000 in fines or six months in jail for first-time offenders, is a hot button topic in Singapore, with at least three separate cases making the headlines in the past two months.

Motorists can be charged with drink-driving even if they are under the legal limit, as long as they do not have proper control of the vehicle.

Last year, 2,917 people were arrested for drink-driving, up from 2,735 in 2011.

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

My opinion:

I think this will worsen drink driving & increase even more cases.

Now there will be more people trying to "beat" the system by drinking & knowing that their offence is sort of "banded" and they are safe with a smaller fine if their limit is "just above" the cut-off point. Whereas based on old law, the offender is fined heavily regardless how much one exceeds the limit which makes people think twice about drink-driving.

Don't you think the new rules actually encourage people to drink & drive?

DRINK-DRIVING laws here are now easier to apply, following new sentencing guidelines laid down by Chief Justice Sundaresh Menon.

My opinion:

I think this will worsen drink driving & increase even more cases.

Now there will be more people trying to "beat" the system by drinking & knowing that their offence is sort of "banded" and they are safe with a smaller fine if their limit is "just above" the cut-off point. Whereas based on old law, the offender is fined heavily regardless how much one exceeds the limit which makes people think twice about drink-driving.

Don't you think the new rules actually encourage people to drink & drive?

That was my exact thoughts when I read the CJ ruling. I was going WTF, why got lesser penalty for lower alcohol levels. Because this will make people think maybe I am not so drunk so it is ok to drive.

The drink driving law should be clear cut and severe. Caught drink driving, regardless of how drunk, automatic jail term of 2 weeks. (so it will affect their jobs and family life). After all , drunk drivers hitting some one else will affect the victims job and family.

I am sure this will cut down drink driving by 95%

It is also reported that TP will set up road block daily.

It is a sooner or later thing anyway.... road blocks should be a daily occurrence.

finally figured out how to embed video.

http://youtu.be/LOfhBcAzIgs

Ad agency Publicis Brussels created a parking barrier for the organization Responsible Young Drivers that stops drunk drivers from leaving the parking lot. The barrier doesn’t work with a ticket or chip, but with an alcohol test.

When a person drives up to the barrier, they have to blow into a breathalyzer. If they pass the test, the barrier opens and lets them out. If they fail, the parking barrier stays closed to literally stop anyone from driving drunk.

The alcohol barrier made its first appearance at Belgium’s most famous club ‘Carré’, during the weekend of its 22nd anniversary.

No use... then how about female drink and drive...? they got no caning

Should put in caning for females too.

No matter guy or gal, a drunk driver could still take other innocent lives all the same. It's not as if a drunk female driver who crashes into pedestrians will cause less damage than the same drunk male driver (accounting for a similar vehicle / level of drunkeness and such)..

Since the result will be the same (innocent lives), why should the punishment be different?

That was my exact thoughts when I read the CJ ruling. I was going WTF, why got lesser penalty for lower alcohol levels. Because this will make people think maybe I am not so drunk so it is ok to drive.

The drink driving law should be clear cut and severe. Caught drink driving, regardless of how drunk, automatic jail term of 2 weeks. (so it will affect their jobs and family life). After all , drunk drivers hitting some one else will affect the victims job and family.

I am sure this will cut down drink driving by 95%

Isn't the penalty more severe now? If I not wrong last time even at the highest alcohol level, the ban is 1 year only.

Isn't the penalty more severe now? If I not wrong last time even at the highest alcohol level, the ban is 1 year only.

I am advocating automatic jail term even for 1st timers, not just a ban

And in the context of the Chief Justice ruling, he actually REDUCED the length of the driving ban handed down by the sub courts, implying it was TOO servere.

And set the ruling that lesser intoxication deserves a lesser punishment .

I am totally against this .

↡ Advertisement