Non-standard flushing of Epica 6T40 transmission advisable ?

Mikelcy1963

Hi,

I did a drain and fill thrice (at 60k, 70k and 76k) even though manual says its good for 100k miles (lifetime). Reason is slight sluggishness during gear shifts at 60k and during change fluid is milky dark brown.

Even during the 3rd change at 76k, saw that the fluid is still milky darkbrown (though the sluggishness disappeared since the 1st change)

Mechanic suggest a transmission flush through the fluid cooler lines (he has done it for the older 4 speed model but not this 6 speed).

I was a bit surprised coz when I did my first change, was told that this transmission cannot be flush. This mechanic says the Cruze cannot be flushed (same transmission) but he *thinks* the Epica can as the cooler lines are different.

What's the risk if I go ahead and attempt to flush as the milky look does not seems to be getting better ? Will I end up with a bigger problem (the net has conflicting advice to flush or not to flush)

Or should I just be patient and continue to drain and fill at every 10k ? Am I throwing away my money ?

(The whole transmission including the cooler uses about 10L and each drain and fill can only change 5L which part of the old oil will always be there though getting diluted by the new oil.)

↡ Advertisement

Maybe you can try asking in Chevrolet forum at www.teamchevysg.com

I don't think there will be problem with it if you can do flushing from the cooler. Only problem is, is there a dipstick in place for your gearbox to ensure the amount of ATF was replaced?

Thanks for the advice. I forgot about teamchevysg as very irritated by their strict login/password requirements haha.

And no, there is no dipstick. If I understand correctly, the amount to fill is based on the volumetric specification of this transmission system (transmission system + cooler)

Even the last 3 drain and fill (5L) is from the service info available (which the workshop)

Hi,

I did a drain and fill thrice (at 60k, 70k and 76k) even though manual says its good for 100k miles (lifetime). Reason is slight sluggishness during gear shifts at 60k and during change fluid is milky dark brown.

Even during the 3rd change at 76k, saw that the fluid is still milky darkbrown (though the sluggishness disappeared since the 1st change)

Mechanic suggest a transmission flush through the fluid cooler lines (he has done it for the older 4 speed model but not this 6 speed).

I was a bit surprised coz when I did my first change, was told that this transmission cannot be flush. This mechanic says the Cruze cannot be flushed (same transmission) but he *thinks* the Epica can as the cooler lines are different.

What's the risk if I go ahead and attempt to flush as the milky look does not seems to be getting better ? Will I end up with a bigger problem (the net has conflicting advice to flush or not to flush)

Or should I just be patient and continue to drain and fill at every 10k ? Am I throwing away my money ?

(The whole transmission including the cooler uses about 10L and each drain and fill can only change 5L which part of the old oil will always be there though getting diluted by the new oil.)

milky is coolant contamination already, assuming you see milky correct

as for the mechanic....ditch him...ur car is not a guinea pig

go back alphine

Thanks for the advice. I forgot about teamchevysg as very irritated by their strict login/password requirements haha.

And no, there is no dipstick. If I understand correctly, the amount to fill is based on the volumetric specification of this transmission system (transmission system + cooler)

Even the last 3 drain and fill (5L) is from the service info available (which the workshop)

If yr autobox dun hv a dipstick, where u pour in the new ATF when u fill?

↡ Advertisement