All new Altis 2014

Deckbuild

Haha actually I prefer it with decals so that can differentiate from us since the public already know that they are taxis.. Just saw the video posted by SMRT and it seems like they chose grey metallic colour..? and it's like the most popular colour for us.. sad

At least they're not taxis, it's still private cars like uber. [:p]

In fact they should be operating under grabcar.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

At least they're not taxis, it's still private cars like uber. [:p]

In fact they should be operating under grabcar.

We are going back to the good old days of the pirate taxis of the 60s' except that the cars now are more modern and the booking system is managed by smart phone apps. LTA is not even intervening to the extent of the past because even public-listed GLC's are involved in this public transportation development. haha :)

Think the spec will be lower. Tats what i knw of the hyundai and crown which are the most basic model. Crown i thght it MIJ, then someone told me it is actually MIT (Thailand). So shld be alright. We pay for what we r getting. Hope im right.

Uber also using Altis? Where is this info from?

Uber has been using Altis since last year. Silver colour, classic version with black cloth seats.

This info is from me, I rented the Altis from them for 6 mths...haha.

• Praise 1

Uber has been using Altis since last year. Silver colour, classic version with black cloth seats.

Make profits?
  • Praise 1

It sort of devalue the Altis

So will you feel devalue if you're driving an E-Class?

I believe taxi companies choose certain models of cars for specific reasons.

Probably due the design, durability, value for money etc.

I believe they have a good reason for choosing the wide range of Toyota models mainly Altis for their fleet of cars.

In my opinion, this shows that each and everyone here who owns an Altis should feel happy and peace of mind that even the govt public transport organisation has faith in this car to the extend of acquiring the sheer amount to serve Singapore commuters better.  [thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

Ohh didnt know bout this! Noted thanks :)

I believe they have a good reason for choosing the wide range of Toyota models mainly Altis for their fleet of cars.

In my opinion, this shows that each and everyone here who owns an Altis should feel happy and peace of mind that even the govt public transport organisation has faith in this car to the extend of acquiring the sheer amount to serve Singapore commuters better.  [thumbsup]

I thought abt it and came to similar conclusion of cause they want reliable and goof FC car.

1 of the reason also cause it is much bigger interior than other similar models and vios.

• Praise 1

In my opinion, this shows that each and everyone here who owns an Altis should feel happy and peace of mind that even the govt public transport organisation has faith in this car to the extend of acquiring the sheer amount to serve Singapore commuters better. [thumbsup]

Toyota is a businessman , they sell cars , others are car maker , they sell dream car .
  • Praise 1

Juz heard radio news that uber bid for 800 coe last cose. This current coe that bid 600. No wonder price shootup.

Btw was at BM for servicing juz nw. Saw the elegance model or standard model with the TRD 17" rim with Michellin tyres. That rim cost 2k including tyred when u trade in yr stock 16". Juz saw VIO at Lengkee showroom. Didnt ask if they r selling. Wil ask later when collecting car.

Seems that Altis has also gotten bulk orders from TransCab and SMRT taxi companies, besides Uber. More on the way... Altis is the favoured fleet cars by these taxi companies!!!

Uber business model getting popular with taxi firms

14 Apr 2016 | Local News : Singapore

More taxi firms are setting up their own private hire and limousine services to retain drivers amidst the growth of third-party taxi apps.

14739_p1_s_1.jpg
Taxi operators are taking the fight to Uber and Grab by setting up their own private hire and limousine arms, reported The Straits Times. The aim is to retain drivers who have begun to defect to the fast-expanding private hire fleets run by the third-party taxi app providers.

14739_p1_s_2.jpg
spacer.gif
In the last three years, third-party taxi apps have proliferated, led by Uber and Grab, with both said to control close to 10,000 cars combined
It is understood that SMRT Corp, the third largest taxi group here, has ordered a fleet of more than 300 new Toyota Vellfire MPVs, Corolla Altis sedans and some Lexus cars for this purpose.

In a recent announcement to the Stock Exchange, SMRT said it has set up a wholly-owned indirect subsidiary known as Strides Transportation with a capital of $2. "The principal business activities of Strides Transportation are limousine and chauffeured services, and car rental," SMRT said.

TransCab, which is the second largest taxi operator here, is doing likewise. Managing Director Teo Kiang Ang said, "We're just starting. We will have mainly the (Toyota Corolla) Altis as well as bigger cars." Mr. Teo said the changing industry landscape prompted him to move in this new direction.

Tuesday's announcement by the Transport Ministry - which said that transport app providers will be regulated with a "light touch" - is likely to spur the growth of the sector.

Taxi industry players noted that unlike cab companies, the newcomers are not required to meet service standards, their fleet expansion will not be restricted, they do not need to buy insurance policies that cover passengers, there is no restriction on vehicle age, and their cars attract far lower road taxes than cabs. Others said the fast-expanding third-party fleet will eventually impact cabbies' earnings as they are competing for a fixed market that is not growing nearly as fast.

Asked if Premier Taxi would also start a business unit to counter Uber and Grab, Premier Taxi Managing Director Lim Chong Boo said, "If there are no other regulatory changes, then we'll be forced to look into it."

The first to branch out into this new business was Prime Taxi, which started a fleet in 2014. It has a private hire fleet of 300 today, but Managing Director Neo Nam Heng said he now plans to raise it to "500-plus in the next one year". The only company that is not jumping onto the bandwagon is ComfortDelGro, the biggest taxi operator here.

• Praise 1

I thought abt it and came to similar conclusion of cause they want reliable and goof FC car.

1 of the reason also cause it is much bigger interior than other similar models and vios.

This is classic. Refer to post #466 to 468 on 17 Apr on the sonata thread.

Edited by Alfc

What the .... just saw news that SMRT is going into private-hire business with Toyota and Lexus cars, with mainly the Altis.

Gonna collect car soon and this news came out. [mad]

Collected liao... officially in this "club"...  :mellow:

Juz heard radio news that uber bid for 800 coe last cose. This current coe that bid 600. No wonder price shootup.

Btw was at BM for servicing juz nw. Saw the elegance model or standard model with the TRD 17" rim with Michellin tyres. That rim cost 2k including tyred when u trade in yr stock 16". Juz saw VIO at Lengkee showroom. Didnt ask if they r selling. Wil ask later when collecting car.

Bro, those are original 17" rims for the new Elegance variant and not TRD sports rims.

They are not sold separately like the TRD rims.

And yes they have relaunched the Vios!