How come AMERICAN TOURISTS will submit stories to TRS?

Ah_Zai

How come American Tourists will submit stories to TRS? [:|]

http://therealsingapore.com/content/gay-tourists-america-shocked-be-openly-discriminated-singapore

Dear The Real Singapore,

This is a complaint over the ridiculous treatment me and my boyfriend Walter endured during our visit to Singapore. I am an American tourist who holiday-ed in Singapore last month together with my boyfriend of 5 years. We planned for this holiday for ages and finally booked our tickets to this world renown Garden City. After arrival, we took in the beautiful sights and was pleasantly surprised by the cleanliness, diverse cultures and food until something happened.

All that initial positivity went out of the window when me and my boyfriend were taking a leisurely stroll at the botanic gardens. Out of the blue, a young local boy accompanied by his mother pointed at us and shouted, "mummy... why are the two boys holding hands?" What came next shocked us beyond words. The lady knelt beside her son, hurriedly covered his eyes and exclaimed at the top of her voice "don't look at them, they are abnormal". After which she dragged the puzzled boy away as though we had the plague!

We were both dumbfounded at this shockingly bigoted behavior. Apart from the Christian belt in the South, we would never be subject to such blatant discrimination in the USA. Even President Obama , the most influential man in the world has repeatedly called for universal love and equality. It is thus disappointing that despite being a democracy, Singaporeans are still backward in their mindsets and deny minorities the freedom to love.

I write in now because our brush with Singaporean's narrow mindedness happened not only once but twice. Shortly after that episode, while Walter and I were cuddling by the riverside at Clarke Quay enjoying the river breeze, a group of rowdy brown skinned goons ran up to us and screamed "f**king faggots" and ran off laughing like hyenas.

What's with this trashy behavior Singapore? Why are we being bullied and insulted for our sexuality? We are paying tourists in your country and this is how you treat your guests? For all your beautiful buildings and wonderful infrastructure, the people of Singapore are sorely lacking in common decency and woefully antagonistic towards us. Where is the love Singapore? How can you proclaim yourself a first world nation when such blatant discrimination against sexual minorities still exists?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Faggots go home!

LoL...

They hail from the most discriminating country and the find this unacceptable? Are these white ppl? LoL...

Looking the name "Walter" it must be.

So how it feels to be discriminated against, bitch?! Such hypocrites.

Edited by Watwheels

TRS is the Singapore version of fanfiction.net

(don't judge me)

goes to prove ppl believe everything they read on the internet...... [laugh][laugh]

Come on dude, when we Chinese from Singapore go over to USA for a tour, we get hurl racial insult as well because you guys treat all Chinese like those that came from China.....

It happens all over the world.....

• Praise 2

1. Even if you are abused / discriminated while overseas, it doesn't make it right for you to repeat (or defend) the behaviour here

2. There is no verification whatsoever in the story that these are real people, let alone a true story ( and TRS doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation in this regard)

3. Sometimes people have their own agenda, and may use an apocryphal story to make a point

4. It's possible that it is based on a true story, but the participants have changed the names to make it more impactful

5. If you take it at face value and believe that it is true - it wouldn't surprise me and it should also be decried - but do remember, homosexuality is still illegal in Singapore - so what to do?

TRS is just another stomp! the entire story just doesn't sounds american.. in fact sounds so local...

Edited by Knoobie
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

I find this astonishing.

During my 1 year stint in Aussie, they are even more discriminating than what that, even among themselves.

I would expect USA to be same or even worst....and this bugger complaint???

Where this couple come from? New Jersey?

TRS is just another stomp! the entire story just doesn't sounds american.. in fact sounds so local...

someone trying to rally the like-mind public on the law suit that some 'couple' just lose, but the whole 'story' sibei no standard.

Same in hongkong if you speak Chinese there instead of Canto they will assume you are Mainland guys.....

my friend 1 Sg 1Msian both kena.

It's common, we just live with it.... Won't lose sleep after all [:)]

5. If you take it at face value and believe that it is true - it wouldn't surprise me and it should also be decried - but do remember, homosexuality is still illegal in Singapore - so what to do?

err...................... suck it ?

i thought they like to do that? [grin][grin]

Come on dude, when we Chinese from Singapore go over to USA for a tour, we get hurl racial insult as well because you guys treat all Chinese like those that came from China.....

It happens all over the world.....

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about the maltreatment to our American guests, particularly on the 2nd incident. The use of expletives is actually overboard and uncalled for.

On the flip side of the coin, I do not wholly agree with the full article. This represents the biased mentality of tourists who impose their own set of values or even leadership (I think Obama was quoted) on the visiting country. Does a developed city like Singapore implies automatic acceptance of some social practice(s) or behaviour? And does being "paying" tourists entitle one to do anything without incurring wrath? Sadly though, this sort of mentality applies to some of us (i.e. Singaporeans who visits other countries likewise).

(edited)

TRS is the Singapore version of fanfiction.net

(don't judge me)

Yup. That's why I cannot resist re-posting it here. Am glad the bros here also notice it.

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about the maltreatment to our American guests, particularly on the 2nd incident. The use of expletives is actually overboard and uncalled for.

On the flip side of the coin, I do not wholly agree with the full article. This represents the biased mentality of tourists who impose their own set of values or even leadership (I think Obama was quoted) on the visiting country. Does a developed city like Singapore implies automatic acceptance of some social practice(s) or behaviour? And does being "paying" tourists entitle one to do anything without incurring wrath? Sadly though, this sort of mentality applies to some of us (i.e. Singaporeans who visits other countries likewise).

No. As some bros here have pointed out - How come AMERICAN TOURISTS will submit their experience to TRS? [:|]

Edited by Ah_Zai

President Obama , the most influential man in the world has repeatedly called for universal love and equality.

[laugh] [laugh] Random uncalled bombings/spying = universal love and equality?

Could be a troll though. <_<

• Praise 1