Surbo

Roadblock

Interesting what this guy claim in his adverts.
Eh... dont get me wrong hor, I am not advertising for them. Heard a lot about that gadget but never really understand how its workz....zzzzzzzz.....

1. More torque. Torque means instant twist power. The engine with Surbo on can accelerate quite suddenly and sustain the significantly increased acceleration to red line or beyond, all on half throttle or less. That means easier, briskier pickup. And fuel savings because you will press less on average.

2. Higher power peak. If your car starts slowing down the moment you hit 4000 rpm, you know it's time to restore the power. Surbo takes your engine back to red line easily and puts back some 50% of existing acceleration power based on rpm, assuming a red line of 6000 rpm. It also means that instead of travelling 40 metres, you travel 60 metres in about the same time taken, given the quick flick of the tachometer when the Surbo is activated. That puts you a clear 20 metres ahead and this benefit is clearly repeatable in the few lower gears . You could never be accused of holding up traffic!

3. Hill climbing. Do you have to tackle these often? Steep car parks? Well, the Surbo has a great affinity for hills. Just going up the incline, activate the Surbo to race up the hill.

4. Airconditioner on all the time? Saps a lot of power, doesn't it? Well, with the Surbo, the aircon load is no problem. The assistance you will feel is clear.

5. Carrying a load meant for an MPV? Sending half a dozen people home? The Surbo minces the load and gives your car added muscle. It pulls and lugs, and of course you can have the aircon on as well.

6. Fast driving on long hauls. The cross-country, few-hour long trips in which the priority is getting to the destination ASAP and the road seems too straight for you to keep to sane speeds anyway. You'll find that you may get to your rated top speed with less than full throttle. (That means an increase in BHP as BHP has a direct relation with top speed, while acceleration has a closer relation with torque). Or you'll be travelling constantly, say at 150kph with about half throttle. The increase in the top end will be especially noticeable if your car has accumulated a lot of mileage and needed a lot of coaxing to run so fast. And, best part is, if your foot is tired, you can ease off, but your car will not slow down as this further raises the Surbo's pressure and pushes the car.

7. Economy cruising. Since cruising speed is a function of the top speed, and top speed has been raised with the Surbo, the engine needs to exert less effort on expressways. The result is fuel saved. Our customer feedback shows that the maximum economy gets a quantum shift from the usual 90 kph to 110 or 120 kph. eg. A Surbo Civic ESi will do 12 km/l in town but 17 km/l at 110 kph.

8. Overtaking. Just prepare the Surbo for temporary steroids, muscling in clearly so you know when to stick your car out. Then it's a quick shove, relentless pulling to red line, repeating in the next gear if necessary, cutting in and driving normally till you need the boost again.

Is that like a normal day in your driving? Or how fast you'd like your car to be? If it is, you'd like to check out the Surbo and see how marvelous and useful it is with its power on demand. Try it!

↡ Advertisement

Used to have the Surbo in my previous car. Despite all the negative feedbacks , I actually liked it as it did indeed give my car the extra power! The wee wee wee sound from the engine is also quite likeable when you tried operating that surbo suction power on the car. I think you need to take those claims with a pinch of salt just like all other car performance claims.

Oh by the way, if you are keen on the Surbo, do take note that its not a plug and play thing. Heng (the chap who invented it) needs to do quite a bit of heavy mod to the air intake outlet. He even need to do to cold air intake where necessary! (FOC, just to get the surbo tube in)

On top of that, Heng will need to seel off your air filter gaskets and all the airways to the engine using a high temperate resistant silicone which will make your engine compartment very unsightly since Heng is not exactly an artist when it comes to applying the silicone.

My car engine bay was "uglified" just because of the installation of the Surbo.

I understand the Surbo improves air intake and is driven by vacuum, hence:

1. The need to seal in the air intake

2. The effects notable on manual gearbox

Not difficult to see why some swear by it, and some think its a waste of money.

Neutral Newbie

I read that Surbo installer giving 30day money back gaurantee, issit true? Means that I can return the Surbo and get refunded no obligations?

btw, since U mentioned that it works better for manual cars, will it degrade performance of auto car by any chance? Thanks

hi, happen to chance upon this forum from another.

one thing abt the surbo is that it need to air-tight if not, it won't work. have installed in my ibiza and never regretted it since. 1st & 2nd gear really kicks ass. not that i'm promoting for heng, but i think it's subjective to personal liking. ppl who can't afford turbo or supercharger can use surbo for the time being.

fuel consumption wise, might increase a tiny bit, but then again, isn't it the same for all turbo-charged cars? u rev more, more $$.

anyway heng is quite a nice chap and he's more than willing to enlighten u on anything u'r not sure of. he even bring u on the test drive after installation to make sure u know how to activate it.

cheers.

Biphapzard, yes, heard abt air tight being the reason why the engine bay will be uglified by the installer as he need to apply silicone all over the air intake manifold.

Huh, you mean you dont save fuel on Surbo? Die lah, everyone install surbo all have different opinions. Did the manufacturer has quality control or not? Like as if all surbos are not made equal!

no lah, heng doesn't apply silicone all over the air filter manifold. he apply sparingly to holes that he see as air-tightness compromise.

yes, initially it does consume more fuel, but over a period of maybe 4-5 tanks, u shall see the savings.

current surbo is in its fourth edition, owners that install previous versions may have different opinions. anyway unless u compare car for car, it's hard to gauge the performance improvement. it's a ingenious device, i would say. and it's not that expensive anyway. ppl spend more on car polishing than surbo!

cheers.

Heard that Heng's SURBO has just launched a new version - the Twin Turbo which is an add-on to the existing surbo unit... promised to run faster than it was.

Anyone heard and tried?

heard, tried and works! mine is the twin version. as promised, it delivers the torque and acceleration one needed. with the twin, u do not have to engage the surbo using half-throttle method, just floor the accelerator n it is be immediately felt. for some cars, it will attached on top of your single while others (toyota corolla) slightly diff setup. dun worry, heng knows his dough.

not too long ago, seat forumers (mainly ibiza) organise a mini MUP to try the surbo which was fitted in my car (mine installed for quite some time liao). results were pleasing, so we arrange again for heng to do a group installation. few cars incl. a toyota corolla installed the twin. according to heng, there r less than 10 cars in sg that has the twin.

hope that sort of answer your queries.

Hey tks bro for that clarification.

There are really 2 big camps out there, those who believed in Surbo and those who loath it. I personally used it on my Uno before and the effects were good in the initial months and after that, the wee-wee sound of the surbo seems to have faded but power still feels pretty good. Heng said it could be a leak somewhere and he plugged and sealed up up the Uno's fuel filter breather cap and said it will solve - which didnt.

I am a believer of Surbo but am not too confident Heng will do a good job for my Fabia. Maybe need more convincing.

hey, no problem. anytime. totally agree with u. i have friends who's still sceptical about surbo. well, one man's meat, another man's poison. i'm trying to convince heng to let me do up his website to make it more impressive so that as least people who come across his page will be entice by it rather be turn off. of coz, with a small fees attached. but then again, no pain, no gain, right?

Neutral Newbie

I've got twin Surbo on my bro's Iswara... got lighter throttle and better acceleration from low-revs, compared to single Surbo. Can redline with less than half throttle!

Neutral Newbie

Hi Bio,

I'm having the twin as well [pirate]

I'm not advertising for anyone, but I guess the only way for 'non-believers' to be convinced would be to try out Heng's product themselves [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

If not mistaken the RC cars are using NitroMethane in their fuel. Now who wants to volunteer his/her car for testing...? [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

they have oil in the mixture for lubrication of the engine so if pour into fuel tank there will be a lot of white smoke but of-course more power....

↡ Advertisement