Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo - Worth the wait?

2cents

What so special about this stall? More variety?

Yong Tau Fu normally taste quite standard since there is very little proprietary recipe involved.

The taste of the soup is different from most of the stall i tried.

Variety wise, quite standard.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Quite a fiar number of the items they prepare themselves, and the fish paste on the items is usually more generous than other stores.

The chili is pretty good, and the laksa soup is an alternative option (though a tad salty at times). The regular soup is pretty rich in bean and ikan bilis.

One of the better YTF around.

• Praise 3

My favourite YTF, but I did not try this 'original' store. They used to have a branch at Serangoon Ave 3, that's where I always went alone or with my in-laws and wife.

They closed down that place but I did not know why also... business like not bad also...

Their soup is one of the best around, filled with ikan bilis and lots of soy beans, very good! No other YTF soup I've tried can win them, closest is the one at JCube's foodcourt.

If queue not that long can wait lah... worth a try, cos YTF queue very fast one... unless you kena a queue hogger - slowly choose the ingredients...

• Praise 1

Many newbies will be confuse with the queing system, and may end up joing the que 1st without choosing the items.

1st is to choose your items, and hand it over to the specky food nazi while stating what you want to add on clearly to avoid annoying him. Only then you quickly move over to join the queue.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Many newbies will be confuse with the queing system, and may end up joing the que 1st without choosing the items.

1st is to choose your items, and hand it over to the specky food nazi while stating what you want to add on clearly to avoid annoying him. Only then you quickly move over to join the queue.

Lol, he not that bad lar, juz a tad louder only. Quite accommodating to requests like additional small bowl of soup, more/less chili/sweet sauce, etc.

I always go during week day morning only when the q is not that long.

Lunch time.....I give up.

The botak ok lah, a bit loud but he will still accept request like more chili, soup ; no sesame, more seasame etc.

Not like some famous stall where everything extra also charge additional.

Turbocharged

While queueing, if you are not alone, ask your companion to get a plate of carrot cake from hai xing diagonally opposite.

It's pretty good with a powerful chili, and the $2 plate is just enough to cure the hunger pangs while waiting for the YTF.

• Praise 1

Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo: The sauce! It's the sauce!

Yong+Tau+Foo+Soup.jpg

Our forum kaki, Sen posted a youtube video about this Yong Tau Foo stall in the forum which got all our kakis really excited. This stall was again mentioned repeatedly when I asked our facebook readers for their pick of where to find a great Yong Tau Foo! This stall sounds like a die die must try kind of place, so we rounded up the ieat brigade and headed to Ang Mo Kio Central to try out this Yong Tau Foo stall which is reputed to have a perpetual queue throughout the day.

Yong+Tau+Foo+dry.jpg

Sure enough, there was a queue outside the stall of more than 10 persons who have very obediently picked their Yong Tau Foo and are now waiting patiently in line for their lunch to be cooked. While Soundman was lining up for our food, I took the opportunity to speak with the Lao Ban Niang who tells me that they have been at the food centre since it first opened more than 30 years ago. She tells me that Yong Tau Foo is all about freshness of ingredients and here at the stall, they use fresh tau foo which are specially made without preservatives so that they last only a day before going sour. The bee hoon here is also specially delivered fresh everyday as opposed to the dehydrated ones in packets.

Bee+Hoon+2.jpg

There are two things that are seriously good about this stall. That's not to say the rest are mediocre, but the two things that are really outstanding are the bee hoon and the sweet sauce. Both are very different from the ones you get from your run-of-the-mill YTF stall and are the most memorable bits for me. The fresh bee hoon has a wonderfully chewy texture and excellent fragrance. The sweet sauce here is spiked with lots of sesame seed flavour and is very addictive. 4.5/5

Chee+Cheong+Fun.jpg

Aside from the bee hoon, this stall also sells chee cheong fun to go with your bowl of Yong Tau Foo soup. This is the first time I have seen any stall do this and when I asked the Lao Ban Niang why they serve Chee Cheong Fun with their Yong Tau Foo, she simply said that Chee Cheong Fun is nice to eat!

Now this Yong Tau Foo is filled with fish paste only but they do have a few items with minced pork, notably the minced pork balls. Personally, the YTF was good but the difference in quality of the usual items as compared with your normal food court stall is not as stark as the bee hoon and sweet sauce.

Conclusion

So the bottomline is: Would I queue for 20 minutes to get my Yong Tau Foo fix here? Oh yes! But it has to come with a bowl of bee hoon bathed in sweet sauce.

Stall.jpg
Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo

Ang Mo Kio Blk 724

#01-23

Open from 7am to 7pm daily

Sunday closed

• Praise 2

While queueing, if you are not alone, ask your companion to get a plate of carrot cake from hai xing diagonally opposite.

It's pretty good with a powerful chili, and the $2 plate is just enough to cure the hunger pangs while waiting for the YTF.

Absolutely the best combo meal!

The other stall I like here is the char kway tiao.. The wet and oily type..

In AMK central hawker centre, I only eat thisYTF, CKT and the Hup Hup mince pork noodle.

Turbocharged

The other stall I like here is the char kway tiao.. The wet and oily type..

In AMK central hawker centre, I only eat thisYTF, CKT and the Hup Hup mince pork noodle.

side topic, I find the satay beehoon a pale shade of what it was before the reno.

↡ Advertisement