Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo - Worth the wait?

2cents

Supercharged

What so special about this stall? More variety?

Yong Tau Fu normally taste quite standard since there is very little proprietary recipe involved.

there are alot of properietary recipe in it!

First: the soup. Alot of lazy stalls now used soya beans. i suspect coz its cheap. The authentic stalls use ikan bilis to boil, with pork or chicken bones

Second: YTF is nothnig w/o good chili sauce. Authentic stalls made their chili sauce, as compared to getting from factories. What goes into the chili sauce is very impt.

Third: The fish paste and other stuff are hand made, as compared to getting from factories. Some stalls even made their tau foo.....

↡ Advertisement

there are alot of properietary recipe in it!

First: the soup. Alot of lazy stalls now used soya beans. i suspect coz its cheap. The authentic stalls use ikan bilis to boil, with pork or chicken bones

Second: YTF is nothnig w/o good chili sauce. Authentic stalls made their chili sauce, as compared to getting from factories. What goes into the chili sauce is very impt.

Third: The fish paste and other stuff are hand made, as compared to getting from factories. Some stalls even made their tau foo.....

I see.......thanks!

Ok..next time I go queue this stall see got any difference.

I eat here quite regularly whenever I swing by AMK. My timing is usually 2p or 3p on a weekday. The queue moves fast. Usually 5 mins even if there is 5 to 6 persons in front. The good things are: they bother to deep fry what needs to be deep fried. That shows heart. The chilli is spicy. Sweet sauce is normal. My mother in law does the best home made hakka YTF with more ingredients than the outer layer - holy moly. This comes in second but one of the better ones I've tasted out there. Give it a shot.

Separately, the chicken rice at the left end of the same row is good too. I like how they chop the veggies into bite size bits. Every spoonful of veg carries just enough sauce.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie
Rude And Unscrupulous Hawkers From Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo stall In Ang Mo Kio

I ordered from this Xi Xiang Feng Yong Tau Foo stall in Ang Mo Kio two weeks ago, getting myself a 6-items bowl, consisting of seaweed chicken, tau pok, bean curd, cutter fish and kang kong and bee hoon, and I was charged $3.70.

Last week, I bought the same 6-items bowl and was charged $3.80. I politely questioned the male hawker about the price increase, to which he resorted, "There is no increase leh." And I kept quiet.

Today (31st March 2018), I purposely selected the same 6 items and to my nasty surprise, I was charged $4. I requested him to calculate again, informing him that I had been wrongly charged because in the past the prices were $3.70 and $3,80 respectively for the same items. Upon hearing that, the two male hawkers manning the stall turned nasty and hysterious, scolding me for making an enquiry and rudely told me not to patronise their stall again.

I ended up paying $4 for the bowl of Yong Tau Foo, wondering if there is an organisation which controls price discrepancies especially for food items that do not come with price tags.

↡ Advertisement