HAPPY DEEPAVALI

Picnic06-Biante15

Actually why they change from Sunday to Saturday? No long weekend. A little disappointed.

Anyway to our Indian friends, Happy Deepavali.

The Indian & Chinese calender are very close. But don't know why the choose Sat instead of Sun.

As this Sunday is 'Chu Yi' ... [flowerface]

Actually why they change from Sunday to Saturday? No long weekend. A little disappointed.

I believe the change from sunday to saturday came from India itself.

Anyway, Happy Deepavali to all Indian folks here. :)

• Praise 2

Thanks picnic and other well wishers!

Actually I'm happier because my new organisation allows all staff to claim one day off in lieu within 3 months. So we can take it on a day of our choosing like annual leave instead of being forced to take the long weekend. Better check if your company has similar welfare policy bro.

• Praise 1

I learnt something from my Indian colleague, not all Indians celebrate Deepavali. Only Hindus do. Not all Indians are Hindu, small percentage are christian like my Indian colleague. Thatz what he told me when I wished him happy deepavali yesterday.

• Praise 1

I learnt something from my Indian colleague, not all Indians celebrate Deepavali. Only Hindus do. Not all Indians are Hindu, small percentage are christian like my Indian colleague. Thatz what he told me when I wished him happy deepavali yesterday.

Of course. Good that you mentioned this, because I didn't want to correct TS's well-intentioned greetings.

Indians who are Muslim, Christian, etc. do not usually celebrate Deepavali.

Thanks picnic and other well wishers!

Actually I'm happier because my new organisation allows all staff to claim one day off in lieu within 3 months. So we can take it on a day of our choosing like annual leave instead of being forced to take the long weekend. Better check if your company has similar welfare policy bro.

I thought it is standard to have one leave in lieu if PH falls on Saturday, if Sunday then it will automatically be Monday.

I thought it is standard to have one leave in lieu if PH falls on Saturday, if Sunday then it will automatically be Monday.

Not all workplaces automatically grant this. There are ways around awarding the leave in lieu. For example, if your workplace has a 5.5 day work week, and if you don't come to work on the Saturday, they don't have to give you the leave in lieu. This applies even if you have a 5.5 day work week with alternate Saturdays off, because Saturday is "officially" a working day (or half-day). I encountered this sort of thing in my old workplace. And don't forget, labour law (the Manpower Act) only applies to certain categories of workers - professionals, for example, are "exempt" so you really can't do anything to insist on your "rights".

Anyway, my point was that the leave in lieu (when PH falls on Saturday) is better than an automatic long weekend (when PH falls on Sunday) simply because you can still choose to take the Monday off (in which case you get a long weekend anyway), or choose to hold it in reserve until you need to take leave. I chose the latter because I have some time-sensitive work to clear on Monday. It's more flexible this way.

Edited by Turboflat4

Happy Deepawali friends.

Our company used to allow us to take off on previous Friday or the following Monday or 1 day Annual leave credit if PH falls either on Sat or Sun. Now they changed and made the Monday as holiday for all!

Are you still into teaching?

Not all workplaces automatically grant this. There are ways around awarding the leave in lieu. For example, if your workplace has a 5.5 day work week, and if you don't come to work on the Saturday, they don't have to give you the leave in lieu. This applies even if you have a 5.5 day work week with alternate Saturdays off, because Saturday is "officially" a working day (or half-day). I encountered this sort of thing in my old workplace. And don't forget, labour law (the Manpower Act) only applies to certain categories of workers - professionals, for example, are "exempt" so you really can't do anything to insist on your "rights".

Anyway, my point was that the leave in lieu (when PH falls on Saturday) is better than an automatic long weekend (when PH falls on Sunday) simply because you can still choose to take the Monday off (in which case you get a long weekend anyway), or choose to hold it in reserve until you need to take leave. I chose the latter because I have some time-sensitive work to clear on Monday. It's more flexible this way.

• Praise 1

Happy Deepawali friends.

Our company used to allow us to take off on previous Friday or the following Monday or 1 day Annual leave credit if PH falls either on Sat or Sun. Now they changed and made the Monday as holiday for all!

Are you still into teaching?

Thanks. :D

Never taught full-time, but in my previous workplace, I was lecturing graduate medical students as well as poly students on occasion. Teaching responsibilities may follow in my new place as well. Of course, I'm always "teaching" informally. Doctors always teach - the medical arts are always an apprenticeship, even the non-clinical ones.

↡ Advertisement