Drivers feel it is safe for them to use their phones

Darthrevan

TKAvenueCar05112013e.jpg

Drivers feel it is safe for them to use their phones while driving but not safe for others: Survey

Some 83 per cent of the drivers feel it is safe to use their mobile phones while driving and admitted to doing so in the last year, a survey by Samsung found. More than 90 per cent of drivers however said they found it dangerous for other drivers to use their mobile phones while driving.
"Complacency seemed a key cause of the unsafe behaviour; when asked why respondents used their phones in this manner, the feeling that it was safe for them to do so was the response most cited," Samsung said in a press release on Tuesday afternoon.
With more motorists booked for using their mobile phones while driving, the Korean electronics firm launched a road safety campaign last month.
Targeting motorists who cannot leave their phones alone while on the roads, Samsung commissioned a survey to study the driving habits and perceptions of 513 drivers in relation to the use of mobile phones here.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

everyone justifying their own behavior while condemning others..

The same theory that many drivers think their driving skills damn good while always commenting others are lousy. But in fact, their driving suxs too....haha.

• Praise 2

The same theory that many drivers think their driving skills damn good while always commenting others are lousy. But in fact, their driving suxs too....haha.

driving skills can be damn good but then change lane bo signal those kind? [laugh]

Safe? I seriously dont think so. Very often when i saw cars suddenly slow down on the road, when i drove pass them, confirmed they are on the phone!

• Praise 1

in chinese - 自以为是

• Praise 3

Safe? I seriously dont think so. Very often when i saw cars suddenly slow down on the road, when i drove pass them, confirmed they are on the phone!

whenever a vehicle infront of me is veering left to right to left or moving ever so slowly.....I would overtake and look at what the driver is up to......8 out of 10 times.....BINGO! [furious]

• Praise 1

I have read before. Everyone can focus only on one thing at a time. All other actions are automatic.

Example: Walking while talking on the phone. Either one is concentrating on the conversation or on the walk. If one is engrossed in the conversation, u notice he might trip and fall, walk the wrong direction.....

Same when driving. If one is on the phone and driving, he is concentrating on one or the other but not both at the same time. If he is on the phone and concentrating on the conversation, usually the road is smooth and he is on "auto". If a car suddenly comes into his path, he might not react in time. You also notice that a driver can talk a lot of things while driving but when he is reverse parking, he will keep silent.

If you dun believe, you notice that ppl usually talk when the road is smooth (and they go slowly and go straight as in no turns which require concentration) and if the road traffic is chaotic, usually they do not speak on the phone or just "aha, yep yep" (conversation is auto).

Those who can multi-task, it is not that they can focus on two things simultaneously but they can switch focus very fast.

Why drivers think they are safe is because while they are talking, they are driving smoothly. What they do not realise is that their focus is not there and any slight changes in the traffic or road conditions can be fatal, especially if they are speeding also.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 3

my fart smells nice but i dont tink other ppl's fart does.

there's no cure for human. Since drivers who drive cars are protected by metal, the tennancy is to let down their guard.

if they were to ride bikes instead, i think they will treasure their lives.

• Praise 1

thank the bros for the praises.

we just try best to keep our behavior in check, no need to bother about others.

I have read before. Everyone can focus only on one thing at a time. All other actions are automatic.

Example: Walking while talking on the phone. Either one is concentrating on the conversation or on the walk. If one is engrossed in the conversation, u notice he might trip and fall, walk the wrong direction.....

Same when driving. If one is on the phone and driving, he is concentrating on one or the other but not both at the same time. If he is on the phone and concentrating on the conversation, usually the road is smooth and he is on "auto". If a car suddenly comes into his path, he might not react in time. You also notice that a driver can talk a lot of things while driving but when he is reverse parking, he will keep silent.

If you dun believe, you notice that ppl usually talk when the road is smooth (and they go slowly and go straight as in no turns which require concentration) and if the road traffic is chaotic, usually they do not speak on the phone or just "aha, yep yep" (conversation is auto).

Those who can multi-task, it is not that they can focus on two things simultaneously but they can switch focus very fast.

Why drivers think they are safe is because while they are talking, they are driving smoothly. What they do not realise is that their focus is not there and any slight changes in the traffic or road conditions can be fatal, especially if they are speeding also.

yes, key point being able to react ASAP to any change in road condition. do more things at one go, reaction time divided by number of things being done at same time.