Why is there layer of fog on Windscreen after wiping?

Bluepica

I have cleaned the WS with glass cleaner, I have changed the wiper blades (Denso from petrol kiosk), yet the layer of fog still exist when the wiper is in use every time it rains.... and also the wiper will leave small streaks of water behind (not completely wipe of the water)...

Anymore thing to take note?

Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

You fill a glass with water and put ice cubes into it, why is the surface of the glass cup got a layer of fog?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Dislike 1

Your window has a layer of oily film build-up.

You need to get the proper cleaner to remove the film.

Try those oil-film remover at Autobacs.

Had similar problem in the past. The fog is caused by heat generated by friction when the wiper can't glide on the glass surface smoothly. In my experience, the problem was typically caused by the wiper fluid solution + waxed glass or Rain-X kind of solution. After using water only, much lesser problem. Still fogging a bit, but negligible.

I believe it's ok to use wiper fluid as long as you don't use rain-x or any other glass wax. If you have applied this to your windscreen, you can use glass compound to rub it off. It's a lot of elbow grease, though... been there done that. But I personally can't stand the windscreen without Rain-X. Watermarks accumulate very fast without it. So, a bit of foggy glass is fine with me. Lesser problem compared to rubbing the windscreen with glass compound every few months.

• Praise 1

Hi bluepica,

Seems like your WS is not cleaned properly. Wash with wax free shampoo. Followed by using a 3M super micro fine grade sand pad to sand down with some water. The sand pads can be bought at Autobacs or Stamford tyres. Rinsed off residual. Hope this helps!

Remember to clean your wipers too. Most likely contaminates are on the wipers too as you have used it.

• Praise 1

hmm... sounds like Rain-X is the culprit... but I have already clean it many times with glass cleaner...

Ok now will try those glass polish and grease remover as suggested and see what's the outcome.

Thanks all

Rain X or similar solution can give you that effect. Also if you apply car wax on the WS (soe polishers do that)

Also WS may be 'dirty'. Use newspaper (dry) can remove the oil film but that is when its cold outside and there seems to be a permanent fog you cann wipe off.

Also sometimes the wiperblade old liao. Just changing wiper can do the trick. Some wipers not suitable for certain cars (dont ask me why...i tried Denso, cheapo brand yaka...someting, frameless silicon...all fail, then buy back rubber blade from original stockist for original wiper = solve liao)

1. Use only water for the wiper fluid tank. Do not add any other fluids including cleaning solutions.

2. Clean your wiper blades regularly by using a wet tissue to rub over.

3. Use mama lemon dish washing liquid to clean your windscreen (to remove oily film, grimes and dirts).

All these cost less than 20 cents weekly.

Stock wiper blades can last many years, at least 3 years, even in hot sunny Singapore.

It is in winter countries that the wiper blades suffer the most damage in snowy conditions.

Edited by Kangadrool

1. Use only water for the wiper fluid tank. Do not add any other fluids including cleaning solutions.

2. Clean your wiper blades regularly by using a wet tissue to rub over.

3. Use mama lemon dish washing liquid to clean your windscreen (to remove oily film, grimes and dirts).

All these cost less than 20 cents weekly.

Stock wiper blades can last many years, at least 3 years, even in hot sunny Singapore.

It is in winter countries that the wiper blades suffer the most damage in snowy conditions.

it depends! if you always use your wiper to wipe bird shit leh?? [laugh][laugh]

hmm... sounds like Rain-X is the culprit... but I have already clean it many times with glass cleaner...

Ok now will try those glass polish and grease remover as suggested and see what's the outcome.

Thanks all

If its raining just use yr AC n after a short while, the fog/mist wil disappear.

If its outside, just use wiper to clear it away.

But I had a simple soloution to prevent fog on the other windows b4. I just use a damp cloth n apply a small amount of AmourAll n wipe the inside glass. No more fog after that.

↡ Advertisement