Advice for new comfort tyres

Columbian78

Starting this topic to help me choose new tyres. I will also share my experiences with tyres I had used in the past.

Car: Honda jazz 1.3

Existing tyres: Some BF Goodrich tyres 195/50/15, 5 mths old

These are very noisy tyres, performance is ok. But I need quiet comfortable tyres and I drive very non-aggressively.

Tyres I had used before, all 195/50/15 or 195/55/15 size:

Bridgestone GR80 and GR90: Meets my comfort requirements and performance no issue. Expensive, and I prefer to try tyres I had not used before.

Hankook v12evo: Performance ok, very noisy

Goodyear efficient grip: Good comfort tyres, but it suffered from cracks after about 1 year. My conclusion is that the cracks were caused by some tyres foam spray that I used which contains sillicon. Some articles say do not use sillicon on rubber tyres as they can cause drying and cracking. See my thread http://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2689385-need-advice-tyre-has-cracks/

I am thinking of using 195/60/15 or even 195/65/15 tyres. The "thicker" tyres might give more comfort, is this advisable? Remember that I am non-aggressive driver so the wet/dry performance and cornering (sidewall strength) is less critical. You can guess from the way I reviewed my previous tyres above. Comfort and quietness is everything.

Tyres which I have shortlisted:

Toyo T1R

Continental CCC5, CPC5 What is the difference between these 2?

Michellin XM2

Please let me know your opinions, thanks.

Edited by Columbian78
↡ Advertisement

Forget about T1R. CCC5 made in msia. Questionable quality. CPC5 is good! Michelin XM2 equally good. U can consider Michelin Energy Saver+

Used T1R and XM1 before. Currently on CPC5 as Michelins are more pricey.

If you can sacrifice abit of grip in the wet and drive within safety limits, can consider Yokohama dB series.

Edited by Glyuen
  • Praise 1

Forget about T1R. CCC5 made in msia. Questionable quality. CPC5 is good! Michelin XM2 equally good. U can consider Michelin Energy Saver+

Used T1R and XM1 before. Currently on CPC5 as Michelins are more pricey.

If you can sacrifice abit of grip in the wet and drive within safety limits, can consider Yokohama dB series.

hmm... what is the cons for T1R?

can share your experience?

Tyres which I have shortlisted:

Toyo T1R

Continental CCC5, CPC5 What is the difference between these 2?

Michellin XM2

Please let me know your opinions, thanks.

how can Toyo T1R be a comfort tyre?

The reason why I am looking at T1R is because it is quite cheap and made in japan. Less than $100. Plus a colleague has it and say it is decent. I tried his car which is also a jazz and thought the noise was better than mine existing setup.

how can Toyo T1R be a comfort tyre?

Does anybody have experience upping from 195/50/15 to 195/60/15 or 195/65/15 tyres? On a jazz especially. Does this improves the comfort and noise?

The reason why I am looking at T1R is because it is quite cheap and made in japan. Less than $100. Plus a colleague has it and say it is decent. I tried his car which is also a jazz and thought the noise was better than mine existing setup.

Does anybody have experience upping from 195/50/15 to 195/60/15 or 195/65/15 tyres? On a jazz especially. Does this improves the comfort and noise?

for comfort and less noise, you can try Toyo C1S, i dun think it is that expensive.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Toyo/Proxes-C1S.htm

T1R Tyre is more to sporty than comfort range. They worn out much faster as its compound is relativity soft. My last set of T1R didn't last me more than 2 years & it get noisy after about 1 year usage. However, it is very good in wet compare to the rest. My 2 cents.

T1R Tyre is more to sporty than comfort range. They worn out much faster as its compound is relativity soft. My last set of T1R didn't last me more than 2 years & it get noisy after about 1 year usage. However, it is very good in wet compare to the rest. My 2 cents.

dun mind asking ah... within that 2 years, how many klick are we tokking about?

I'm going to change to advan db next round. Reasonable price and much better than the old db series which was quite lousy in the wet.

Currently using gdyear efficient grip, has a soft side wall - burst when striked kerb once.

Edited by Iiiusion

hmm... what is the cons for T1R?

can share your experience?

Pros is good grip esp when wet.

Tyre sidewall is quite soft so quite comfortable compared to eagle f1.

but TS want comfort/quiet tyres... this doesnt quite fit it. if TS is sporty driver then i would recommend to consider T1R and not the Yokos.

T1R lasted only about 40k km. My michelin XM1 lasted 60k. Michelins are quite good all round. except for price.

Yokos are infamous for their wet performance.

Edited by Glyuen

Pros is good grip esp when wet.

Tyre sidewall is quite soft so quite comfortable compared to eagle f1.

but TS want comfort/quiet tyres... this doesnt quite fit it. if TS is sporty driver then i would recommend to consider T1R and not the Yokos.

T1R lasted only about 40k km. My michelin XM1 lasted 60k. Michelins are quite good all round. except for price.

Yokos are infamous for their wet performance.

40k is a good enuff amount of mileage for me.

so my decision to switch to it is good.

Thanks for the confirmation

↡ Advertisement