Shell 95 petrol - Contaminated with water!

Altivo

Take note if you had topped up Shell 95 petrol at the Seletar Hill Shell petrol station along YCK
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A manager found his car vibrating uncontrollably, as if "the engine was about to explode", after it was topped up with petrol that had been mixed with water, a report said yesterday.

Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao reported that Mr Chen had made a trip to the Seletar Hill Shell petrol station in Yio Chu Kang Road at around 9pm on Monday to refuel his car before heading home.

But upon reaching his block in Hougang, the 46-year-old's car started to shake, and the engine began rumbling.

The intense shaking of his car, coupled with the noise it was making, made it seem as if the car's fan-belt was about to snap and the engine about to explode, he said.

"It was quite terrifying," Wanbao quoted Mr Chen as saying.

"At first I thought my car engine was faulty and planned to send it for repair. But at about 2pm the next day when I wanted to drive out to the repair shop, I found I couldn't start my car," he said.

"I thought my car had broken down but later I received a call from the petrol station asking if I had refilled my tank there the night before."

The petrol station's staff reportedly told Mr Chen that there was a problem - without specifying what it was - and that he had to take the car back for repairs.

Mr Chen told the paper that industry experts he spoke to suspected that the petrol pumped into his car had been mixed with water, causing the engine to act up.

The petrol station reportedly received complaints from several car owners that there was an issue with the petrol.

The paper reported that it remains unclear whether the problem had been caused by an individual or by heavy downpours.

Shell was reported to have confirmed that water got into one of its Shell FuelSave 95 petrol tanks at its Seletar Hill outlet.

A spokesman said it has stopped selling petrol from that particular tank and that other tanks have not been affected.

Shell was said to have started an in-depth investigation into the matter.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

It might not be just 95RON, I remember putting 98 RON for about 1/4 a tank (usually pump SPC but emergency) at the same station and could feel the car surging on part throttle which has never happened before. Perhaps this is the reason.. [shakehead]

• Praise 1

I think the man in the article is a Shell card member otherwise how are they able to call him in short notice. Those paying by cash will have a problem if they throw away their receipt.

No lah, see harm will honor one lah, reputation much more than pine nuts to them. Small money to them even if all high end car replacement.

I would say those ppl lucked out....If they had presence to engage LLB for litigation...all get new car with COE top up.

• Praise 1

Now i know why seehum call it fuelsave. Save fuel by adding water.... [:p][laugh][laugh]

They save. Not we save [:(]

Lucky I don't pump shell [:p]

Wonder how will Shell compensate the car owners affected.

With water getting into the engine, i believe there will be issues even if it is repaired.

Another worries to buy 2nd hand cars....

If SHELL can call the Car owners, most likely they are using the SHELL card membership to track down owner.

Bank will never reveal customer contact number to SHELL.

• Praise 1