More road accidents on days of thunderstorms

Darthrevan

25926879e.jpg

More accidents occur on Singapore roads on stormy days and with the monsoon season in full swing, road safety experts are advising motorists to take extra care.

About 30 accidents take place typically on days of thunderstorms, according to traffic updates given by the Land Transport Authority (LTA).
Most of them were on expressways.
But on days of moderate to heavy showers, the number of accidents were between 14 and 26.
This pattern was derived from the LTA's Twitter feed for the past 10 days.
One of the highest numbers of accidents logged was on Monday when there were heavy showers and flash floods in parts of Singapore. At least 30 accidents were on LTA's Twitter feed. Last Monday, when heavy rain fell across the island, at least 28 accidents were logged.
Most happened on expressways such as the Pan-Island Expressway, Ayer Rajah Expressway and Seletar Expressway. Accidents were also logged along the East Coast Parkway and Bras Basah Road.
Poor visibility is inevitable during a storm.
An added risk is slippery roads, said Singapore Road Safety Council vice-chairman Gopinath Menon.
This is especially so "when you have rain after a dry period as grime, dust and oil from the roads can make them slippery, especially for motorcyclists".
Singapore's north-east monsoon season wet phase typically takes place between mid-November and January.
In the inter-monsoon season from October to November, the thunderstorms usually lash Singapore in the afternoons and early evenings.
During these times, Prof Menon, an adjunct associate professor at Nanyang Technological University, advised motorists to keep their headlights on and maintain a greater distance from vehicles in front.
The Automobile Association of Singapore also urged motorists to ensure their vehicles are well-maintained to cope with the weather. Dirty windscreen and faulty wipers, for example, can hinder visibility when it rains.
Its online advisory also said to travel slower as vehicles take longer to stop on slippery roads.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Like this all the crocodile will starve to death in singapore

No accident, human crocodile will create accident. When there is accident, crocodile happily fully feed with best food. So no different between no accident and accident. Benefits only on insurance where no claims involve.

Stating the obvious once again...

while it may be obvious to some..many motorists are not keeping a greater safe distance during rain and thunderstorms eg. more than 8 cars' length if travelling at 80km/h..hence the chance of getting involved in accidents is higher

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

few days back i was stuck on cte in the storm. then felt quite a vibration within my car with a loud thunder sound from outside the cabin..the lightning probably struck somewhere nearby.

sibeh heng...never do evil.. didn't 被雷劈. [sweatdrop]

but really felt the nature's power.. sibeh power...

i see many cars travelling with old, almost balding tyres esp cars about to scrap in 2014/15 and vans/pickups. Somemore never keep safe distance. I urge all to change tyres even before it reaches the min threadwear indicator.

Purely from safety POV it is worth it even if your car has just 1 yr left to scrap.

• Praise 2

Actually this is quite strange in Singapore. Every time it rains, motorcyclists will tends to rush for cover but cars also start to speed up. I don't know what are they trying to compete for?

The most dangerous is those that love to travel on the 1st lane (over taking lane) but at a slow speed or just maintain at the speed limit.

I am aware there are many car owners do not change their tire just to save $$$. Either COE is expiring or Their cars are poorly maintain due to trade-in on the card.

Taxi is one of them, cos most of the drivers feel it is waste of time to return workshop to change tire. They loose the day earning by doing so. I have experienced myself on a Renault F taxi with brake already metal rubbing metal and I told the driver. "No time" is the answer. Also, daily encounter many luxury cars with botak tire. 

As such, with this ongoing rain season, better stay a clear distance to others and drive slowly

Edited by Tcx607

The weather early morning today was very nice

Right now it seems like a Typhoon has arrived in Singapore rather than in Taiwan

Drive safely; Its kind of flooded a little in my area (East side - Siglap area) some of the small lonkangs have overflown

• Praise 3