Merc disc rotor lifespan?

Jhyy701

My car has reached 50,000km+, I will be changing the disc pad, but should I change the disc rotor too? what is the disc rotor lifespan? What if I don't change the disc rotor? what is the consequence? will it crack?

C&C quoted $1900 to replace the pad + rotor.

What is the difference between the original Merc and OEM rotors?

post-134045-0-28204000-1384657131_thumb.jpg

Edited by Laserjet
↡ Advertisement

Fry...

Driving w245... The older B class

Did my change front rotor plus both front & back brake pads using original parts....

Cost me almost $700 sgd.

Did this after driving almost 100k

Edited by Mcist

S$1900? Should be able to get half if buy from stockist and go to ws and pay for labour to install.

which Model u driving?

W204, C200.

Fry...

Driving w245... The older B class

Did my change front rotor plus both front & back brake pads using original parts....

Cost me almost $700 sgd.

Did this after driving almost 100k

your brake pad can last 100k+ ??

Change the rotor only when its damage, a disc rotor normally can last 170k km or more depend if u got take care of it. anyway there is no specific life span for it. It wont crack etc but u will feel wobbly/rough feeling when u apply brake on it and your brake pads will worn out faster. $1900 for rotor n disc pads are way too high, go fix it outside, the price for c200 should be around $800 -$1000 depend on brand. Fyi,i have change my spouse 6 year old E200 disc/pads(Mileage 280k km) @ $880 early this year ( Carrot & Carrot quoted me @ $2100 ), so for c200,i think should be around there.Hope its help.

W204, C200.

your brake pad can last 100k+ ??

I think 100k+ possible la, provided the driver not a brakester. [sweatdrop]

Edited by Wishxsr

The lower rated the brake pads and rotors the longer they last, generally.

Yes, you heard right. Better brake pads and rotors tend to wear out faster.

Normal rotors get worn in and may warp, they wont crack.

Only performance cross drilled rotors may crack.

You can see and feel how bad the rotors have worn out

You can see how bad the pads have worn out.

You can also feel it when applying your brake pedal.

Dnt waste time and money at C&C

4sets Brake pads and 4 rotors for entry level Mercy cost only about $1100-$1200 inclusive installation.

Generally brake pads need to be replaced about 25,000-30,000km

Rotors about double that.

Edited by Throttle2

I love to jam brake. thus everything dont last at all.

Front brake pad about 10months. Rear Brake pad about 14-16months.

Front Brake disc about 18months.Rear brake disc about 24months.

Average 30K km per year.

Lucky, i dont belong to carrot and carrot.

The lower rated the brake pads and rotors the longer they last, generally.

Yes, you heard right. Better brake pads and rotors tend to wear out faster.

Normal rotors get worn in and may warp, they wont crack.

Only performance cross drilled rotors may crack.

You can see and feel how bad the rotors have worn out

You can see how bad the pads have worn out.

You can also feel it when applying your brake pedal.

Dnt waste time and money at C&C

4sets Brake pads and 4 rotors for entry level Mercy cost only about $1100-$1200 inclusive installation.

Generally brake pads need to be replaced about 25,000-30,000km

Rotors about double that.

I can hear metal grinding noise when I apply the brakes, so wondering whether the rotors are damaged or badly scratched too?

Just to confirm.

- Brake pad to be replace about 25,000-30,000 km

- Rotor 50,000 - 60,000 km?

Edited by Jhyy701

Change the rotor only when its damage, a disc rotor normally can last 170k km or more depend if u got take care of it. anyway there is no specific life span for it. It wont crack etc but u will feel wobbly/rough feeling when u apply brake on it and your brake pads will worn out faster. $1900 for rotor n disc pads are way too high, go fix it outside, the price for c200 should be around $800 -$1000 depend on brand. Fyi,i have change my spouse 6 year old E200 disc/pads(Mileage 280k km) @ $880 early this year ( Carrot & Carrot quoted me @ $2100 ), so for c200,i think should be around there.Hope its help.

I think 100k+ possible la, provided the driver not a brakester. [sweatdrop]

many thanks

I can hear metal grinding noise when I apply the brakes, so wondering whether the rotors are damaged or badly scratched too?

Just to confirm.

Grinding noises?

Probably your pads are worn down.

Correct on the mileage interval for pads and rotors service

Just to confirm.

Grinding noises?

Grinding noises?

Grinding noises?

ok, many thanks, will take note of that.

Just to confirm.

The grinding sound is the brake pad wear indicator warning u the pads r worn. Just change the pads sud b fine.

So far Ive driven many cars n most till 10 years when scrap n even a COE Jap car till abt 19 years( 400K km) n never had to change the disc rotors ever. Only changed the pads.

Even my present Optra abt 8 years now n the disc rotors r still very thick n easily last to 10 years abt 200K km.

I dun understand why so many pple r changing their rotors so often? Unless ty r getting them skimmed. Then the rotors wil thin out very fast.

This skimming rotors is just another gimmick/trick by the WS to earn more $$$ from motorists.

If you hear a constant grinding sound, it should be the mechanical wear sensor but I am surprise that such luxury car doesn't comes with the electronic type which even a Renault Megane is equipped with.

Don't worry about rotor wear. The general guideline is 3 pads to 1 rotor. As long as you have a minimum thickness of 25.5mm (front) 8.5mm (rear), it will be fine. Alternatively you can purchase your rotor from any stockist (ref. number below) and have them installed in any workshop. That would save you some money compared to having them serviced by the authorized dealers but note if your vehicle is still within the warranty period. The main difference between OEM and aftermarket is the material specification used. Other than that they are identical.

MB C200 (W204)

OEM no. (Front)

MA2044210712

OEM no. (Rear)

A2044231512

• Praise 1

The grinding sound is the brake pad wear indicator warning u the pads r worn. Just change the pads sud b fine.

So far Ive driven many cars n most till 10 years when scrap n even a COE Jap car till abt 19 years( 400K km) n never had to change the disc rotors ever. Only changed the pads.

Even my present Optra abt 8 years now n the disc rotors r still very thick n easily last to 10 years abt 200K km.

I dun understand why so many pple r changing their rotors so often? Unless ty r getting them skimmed. Then the rotors wil thin out very fast.

This skimming rotors is just another gimmick/trick by the WS to earn more $$$ from motorists.

Those real Ang Moh Chias from Europe especially, the brake pads and discs will wear out very fast one. The rate of wear is approx what Throttle has mentioned earlier.

For Japanese cars, the brake discs are very lasting. Don't think you ever need to change under normal usage. So far my experience with Japanese is like that except my bike, the stock pads worn out damn fast at 6K mileage. [crazy]

Agree that there's no need to skim; just change to fresh new one is the best. Skim also involve labour cost which is not cheap. Spend a bit more for new ones and solve the problem.

TS,

I just changed my rotor and brake pad as well for my W204.

1. For Merc, usually the rotor and brake pads have to be changed at the same time unlike most Jap made. I never have to change the rotors for all my previous Jap rides. I was advised by the w/s that there is a sensor and they monitor the wear on both the rotor and pads.

2. Wear depend on the driver ... some have to change at 30k.

3. C&C quoted approx 2k, I did with a outside workshop at $800 using genuine Merc parts.

My car has reached 50,000km+, I will be changing the disc pad, but should I change the disc rotor too? what is the disc rotor lifespan? What if I don't change the disc rotor? what is the consequence? will it crack?

C&C quoted $1900 to replace the pad + rotor.

What is the difference between the original Merc and OEM rotors?

I previously owned both C180 (supercharged elliptical lights) & E250 ( current turbocharged). Changed both rotor am disc at about 70000km. Had changed the pads frequently though. The rotor and disc in the C class are actually manufactured by Brembo. When I drove a 1.6 Japanese car, I had only changed the pads even when it hit 110000km. I think with force induction cars, you will drive harder and brake

heavily. I drove my E250 until it had grinding noise from brakes, the pads & rotors were very worn down.

Edited by Kyosho1

ha, bro, our bnb rides diff fr theirs. they're performance type so smthg must give. i also aware chg 2 to 3x brake pads must replace rotors for such conti rides. bnb ride no much issue, except i oso chg due to slight steering vibration when hard brake. but since new rotor n skim price same, i opted the former.

Those real Ang Moh Chias from Europe especially, the brake pads and discs will wear out very fast one. The rate of wear is approx what Throttle has mentioned earlier.

For Japanese cars, the brake discs are very lasting. Don't think you ever need to change under normal usage. So far my experience with Japanese is like that except my bike, the stock pads worn out damn fast at 6K mileage. [crazy]

Agree that there's no need to skim; just change to fresh new one is the best. Skim also involve labour cost which is not cheap. Spend a bit more for new ones and solve the problem.

Also I only use OEM or original standard pads

If u use those high copper/metal pads, the grip may b a bit better but it grinds away at the rotors n wear is much faster.

Maybe thats why Conti rotor wear so fast. Cud b their OEM/Original pads r those high metal type.

ha, bro, our bnb rides diff fr theirs. they're performance type so smthg must give. i also aware chg 2 to 3x brake pads must replace rotors for such conti rides. bnb ride no much issue, except i oso chg due to slight steering vibration when hard brake. but since new rotor n skim price same, i opted the former.

Oh so u also those 2Fast2Furious driver. Brakes wear out so fast. Hahaha. [drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement