2014 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

Carmour

Your rep should call and you can check online too.

I negotiated for three years loan. Same freebies.

Thanks for input! :a-m1212:   Check online with LTA under individual bid for COE, right? 

Also, did anyone manage to minimize their loan with C&C? I understand they insist that you take a loan for 5 years at 50% of car value, otherwise you don't get those "freebies" like service credits, solar film. etc.. I find it kind of pointless to take the loan and then repay it quickly as you get hit by pretty high early repayment penalties.

Unfortunately no but some claimed to have succeeded in full cash with service credit. haha

Unfortunately no but some claimed to have succeeded in full cash with service credit. haha

i was advised by the salesgirl that i could make full payment after paying for minimum 1 year of the 5 year loan

i was advised by the salesgirl that i could make full payment after paying for minimum 1 year of the 5 year loan

Yes, that is an option but the 7/8 rule will mean you will pay super high interest for that 1 year loan. SE and probably C&C make commission from the loan, so the service credit is the carrot. Edited by Voodooman
  • Praise 1

I recall there is this Rule of 78 calculation that applies in your interest calculation for HP loans plus an additional penalty if you repay early. It seems this is standard for all car loans although the penalty may vary.  I googled and found the link below that explains it. Basically in fixed rate loans, you tend to pay more interest and less principal in the first few years of your loan.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=61

I take my hat off to the guy who managed to get the freebies without taking a loan!  I have been talking to the SE for over a year and it's like fighting on Normandy beach on D-Day on this issue! [:|] 

• Praise 1

No need to break sweat over an urban myth...... :D

If the ADs don't load you extra for full cash down you should be celebrating already... what more freebies.... :D

I recall there is this Rule of 78 calculation that applies in your interest calculation for HP loans plus an additional penalty if you repay early. It seems this is standard for all car loans although the penalty may vary.  I googled and found the link below that explains it. Basically in fixed rate loans, you tend to pay more interest and less principal in the first few years of your loan.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=61

I take my hat off to the guy who managed to get the freebies without taking a loan!  I have been talking to the SE for over a year and it's like fighting on Normandy beach on D-Day on this issue! [:|] 

• Praise 1

No need to break sweat over an urban myth...... :D

If the ADs don't load you extra for full cash down you should be celebrating already... what more freebies.... :D

Just walked in n said i wanted the c class w canera n windows tint n no loan. bargained a bit.

Signed n paid deposit. Total time spent in cnc 75 minutes (shit load of paper work even without loan)

5 months later collect car.

• Praise 1

I see....  So minus 5-6k service credits,  gps,  bodycare,  OT etc?

The ADs have a framework of tiers of "freebies"  for various level of purchase price and loan status. 

Will not deviate very far between individual. 

Just walked in n said i wanted the c class w canera n windows tint n no loan. bargained a bit.
Signed n paid deposit. Total time spent in cnc 75 minutes (shit load of paper work even without loan)

I did my calculations. For the 2.78% loan, three years is the optimal period where you bleed the least money and still enjoy the freebies, plus you get to deposit or use that money well.

Some banks give > 1.3% for FD for example, other banks try to give better savings rates..

• Praise 1

I am impressed!  Did you get to keep the service credits, etc.?  That seems to be the trade-off if you don't take the loan. I guess one is paying for it in a way as the AD will get their cut of the interest rebate from the loan. 

BTW, the SE said you don't need to send in your new C180 for servicing until it hits the first 15000 km.  I thought most new cars need to go in after the first 1000 or 5000 km or something like that?

no svc credits, no gps, no bodycare. only tint and cameras + good overtrade. some svc credit was given to me after i collected my car (thats a good SE for you).

i prefer to wash polish and wax the car myself.

I see....  So minus 5-6k service credits,  gps,  bodycare,  OT etc?

The ADs have a framework of tiers of "freebies"  for various level of purchase price and loan status. 

Will not deviate very far between individual. 

my SE showed me a spreadsheet of how much loss incurred if the minimum loan was taken and redeem at 6 months (usual is 1 year but the willing to change to 6 months for me).

there is quite a bit of loss.

yes, C180 no need to service after run-in, 1500km, but no one will stop you if you chose to send it in.

I am impressed!  Did you get to keep the service credits, etc.?  That seems to be the trade-off if you don't take the loan. I guess one is paying for it in a way as the AD will get their cut of the interest rebate from the loan. 

BTW, the SE said you don't need to send in your new C180 for servicing until it hits the first 15000 km.  I thought most new cars need to go in after the first 1000 or 5000 km or something like that?

I am impressed! Did you get to keep the service credits, etc.? That seems to be the trade-off if you don't take the loan. I guess one is paying for it in a way as the AD will get their cut of the interest rebate from the loan.

BTW, the SE said you don't need to send in your new C180 for servicing until it hits the first 15000 km. I thought most new cars need to go in after the first 1000 or 5000 km or something like that?

Welcome to the world of Conti cars. Unlike Jap or Korean or Thai cars, you don't bring in the car at the same intervals. Your first servicing is at 15000 not 1500 km, or at the one year mark if your mileage is low.

Welcome to the world of Conti cars. Unlike Jap or Korean or Thai cars, you don't bring in the car at the same intervals. Your first servicing is at 15000 not 1500 km, or at the one year mark if your mileage is low.

It makes me wonder what magic do conti cars have that other cars don't? After all it's still a combustion engine that works in the same way to convert fuel to power.

I don't think Conti cars are necessarily better but your average Asian car dealer just wants more visits.

I have spoken to my service man in the past and he smiles when I ask why we need to see him every 10k..

↡ Advertisement