Electronic Parking System (EPS) to solve parking crunch?

Carmour

How does the EPS solve parking crunch? [speechless] [speechless]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To address the parking crunch at several parts of the island, the Housing and Development Board has announced that it is rolling out the Electronic Parking System (EPS) at all suitable car parks within the next few years.

stock-carpark-03.jpg

SINGAPORE: To address the parking crunch at several parts of the island, the Housing and Development Board (HDB) has announced that it is rolling out the Electronic Parking System (EPS) at all suitable car parks within the next few years. It will also be adding 1,000 more car park lots across the heartlands this year.

Currently installed in about one-fifth of HDB car parks — or 412 out of 1,800 — the EPS "has proven to be effective in regulating parking demand, particularly at popular car parks with higher short-term parking demand", said an HDB spokesperson, in response to TODAY's queries.

"EPS will be installed progressively at all car parks without site constraints, within the next few years," the spokesperson added.

The system can only be installed in car parks whose entrances are wide enough to accommodate CashCard payment gantries. Where it is not feasible to install the EPS, the HDB said it will try to leverage other technologies to enhance car park operations.

Noting that there are generally sufficient parking lots for both residents and short-term visitors, the spokesperson said the authority takes a two-pronged approach to meet residents’ need for car park spaces - by managing parking demand and increasing supply.

Between 2010 and last year, 5,000 car park lots were added at a cost of S$66 million.

The latest measures come as the proportion of households which own at least one car rose steadily to 46 per cent last year, up from 40 per cent in 2008 and 38 per cent in 2004. The average Season Parking Ticket take-up rate in HDB car parks is about 80 per cent currently, up from 68 per cent in 2007.

Members of Parliament (MP) whom TODAY spoke to said parking is a concern among residents.

Having enough parking space is “one of the top concerns” for residents in both public and private housing estates in the

Bukit Timah Division, said Ms Sim Ann, MP for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC.

Ms Sim said the HDB had just completed a temporary extension to an existing car park next to Block 204, Clementi Avenue 6, adding 24 “much-needed lots to an area that has been experiencing a parking-space crunch”.

In Toh Yi estate, plans are under way to ride on ongoing development and upgrading projects to add more car park lots to the area, she said.

In Tampines, some grass patches have given way to car parks, while kerbside parking has been introduced along a less busy stretch of road, said Mr Baey Yam Keng, one of the GRC's MPs.

To cope with the shortage of parking lots in a few precincts in Marsiling, Mr Hawazi Daipi, MP for Sembawang GRC, said more temporary car parks are being built. "In addition, I have asked (the) HDB to speed up the implementation of (the) electronic parking system in the estates to regulate demand and supply," he added.

Mr Zainal Sapari, MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, who noted that many car parks in his constituency see close to 100 per cent occupancy, suggested that the HDB allow the temporary car parks to remain, even after multi-storey ones are built nearby.

"The HDB usually removes a temporary car park after (a) multi-storey (one) is built, so as to avoid entrenchment, but I feel it should be left there and taken away when needed," he said.

Car owner Wilson Lim, 34, agreed with the HDB's move to introduce electronic parking in more areas. "It prevents people from parking longer just because they are using a coupon for a longer period," he said.

Edited by Carmour
↡ Advertisement

easier for me to find empty parking lots at those EPS carparks as drivers are less likely to overstay due to per minute charging..those beer drinking taxi/delivery drivers usually stay away from those EPS carparking..coupon-based carparks encourages drivers to cheat and deprive other drivers of a much needed lot

• Praise 1

Twincharged

My block's carpark implemented the EPS parking at the beginning of this month. Immediately got a difference already. Alot easier to find lots. Used to be so full that there were people parked at the sides waiting for lots. Now no more people waiting for lots already. Come in sure have lots to park.

• Praise 1

Normally for coupon carparks, I leave faster.

Cos I normally under-put the coupon. Troublesome to tear, troublesome to buy, put extra feel like waste money.

So constantly have the fear of getting summon.

At EPS carparks, I can take my own sweet time to walk around knowing that I am charged by the minute.

Seems like my mentality is the odd one out....

• Praise 1

One bad thing I have noticed about EPS car parks is that there is a lot more "any how" parking. Perhaps it is because people already pay, so they think hack lah, just park nearest to where I want to go. End up all those double yellow lines and non parking spaces all lined with cars.

Cos I normally under-put the coupon. Troublesome to tear, troublesome to buy, put extra feel like waste money.

At EPS carparks, I can take my own sweet time to walk around knowing that I am charged by the minute.

me too, ur not alone.

coz EPS deters those maybe want to just park for 15 mins? and also those lazy, stingy don't want to tear coupon also bye bye..

did any one noticed? S$66mil for 5000 lots.. that's $13200/lot...

malaysia going to laugh at us...

• Praise 1

bring this thread up and i am soooo happy that most carparks are EPS now. Really. Goes to show that those who cannot afford, even the parking fees, and have to scrimp like this, pls do not shame yourself and go public.

Sorry, but seen too many. I walk the talk and even if 10mins, i will still put a coupon. If unused, pass it on!

• Praise 2

bring this thread up and i am soooo happy that most carparks are EPS now. Really. Goes to show that those who cannot afford, even the parking fees, and have to scrimp like this, pls do not shame yourself and go public.

Sorry, but seen too many. I walk the talk and even if 10mins, i will still put a coupon. If unused, pass it on!

Yes, for me the same. Sometimes really don't understand some drivers willing to risk a fine just to save 50cts or $1.00.

Sgp parking is so dirt cheap.

Car Park Coupon - Never leave car without tearing one.

Yes, for me the same. Sometimes really don't understand some drivers willing to risk a fine just to save 50cts or $1.00.

correct bro.....i have never ever gotten a ticket. One ticket and your whole 'savings' gone down the drain...start from jeelo...hahahaha

Twincharged
(edited)

Happy that now almost all carparks are EPS cuz I hate going down to tear another coupon if I am staying there for longer than expected. Usually lazy so take the risk and don't bother to go down and tear another coupon. Now with EPS no need to worry already.

Edited by Nzy

Happy that now almost all carparks are EPS cuz I hate going down to tear another coupon if I am staying there for longer than expected. Usually take the risk and don't bother to go down and tear coupon. Now with EPS no need to worry already.

y alor..and think how many trees we saving. WE doing our part for momma earth

(edited)

yes, you are the odd one because ... typically, 1/2 hour coupon will occupy 50mins of parking

1. tear off coupon makan 10mins ... aka it's legit, many says ... lol

2. actual coupon 30mins

3. come back 10mins later ... aka grace period, many says ... lol

so ... typically with coupon instead of 1/2 hour usage, car owner will try to use 50mins parking

in EPS ... every min pay ... owner will try to leave on the dot ... why pay more

in coupon ... 1/2 hour already tear off ... can pian jiak 1 more min also good

i hate some shopping mall EPS that charge per 1/2 hour block ... ie: OG Albert

nabei ... miss 1-2 mins have to pay the whole 1/2 hour

Edited by Wt_know

the "popularity" of this thread already shown that EPS carparks are not hugely popular with drivers..but it works for me & I'm happy that more & more carparks are installed with EPS

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Maybe these drivers feel gahmen is a big control freak plus big squeezer of peasants' wallets, therefore if they can 'cheat' in parking fees, they will do it without blinking their eyelids, just to 'get back' at the gahmen??! It's not the money.

Turbocharged

the "popularity" of this thread already shown that EPS carparks are not hugely popular with drivers..but it works for me & I'm happy that more & more carparks are installed with EPS

'Pay as you park' is a fair system to me although I do miss the opportunities to cheat few minutes here n there with the coupon system.

Twincharged
(edited)

'Pay as you park' is a fair system to me although I do miss the opportunities to cheat few minutes here n there with the coupon system.

Only thing I miss with the coupon system is that cannot use coupon expiring as a reason to leave. Sometimes get stuck with some relatives that keep asking questions and keep talking to me, I will use the excuse that my coupon expiring so got to go already. Now with EPS I can't do that.

Edited by Nzy
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1