Avante Steering Wheel Problem

Popper

is it when you doing full turn (either L or R), you will hear tok tok tok sound until u turn back to straight line then the sound stop?

OR

Is it when you even STATIONERY (no moving), u continuously tilt slightly L & R with your steering wheel & hear tak tak tak sound? And even sometimes when u drives, you can also hear tak tak sound even with little movement of the steering wheel? BUT STRANGELY THERE IS NO SOUND WHEN U DOING FULL TURN L OR R...

I encounter both:

If its is first one, then drive shaft is spoilt..wear n tear. change drive shaft will do. once u got tok tok tok sound...even changing the drive shaft CV joint cover also no use as damage is done. not expensive, ard 150 per pc to change, depending where u go.

If its is 2nd one, then the rubber coupling inside our electronic steering motor has worn out (also due to wear n tear)... this is very troublesome. it cost 500+ which I pay to Synergy AH Kang to settle the problem. 6 hours work to replace the bloody small coupling due to dismantling the WHOLE steering rack to reach the steering motor.

and after that, u need to settle the alignment & balancing. I pay another 50 to Kenny Alignment to align my front adjustable camber bolt...

hope this helps.

And now, after 7years, the second scenario as described happen to my ride... It's like got free play when turning the steering a little bit left and right.... Like the wheel going to dislodge... Actually is it still safe to drive ?

is it when you doing full turn (either L or R), you will hear tok tok tok sound until u turn back to straight line then the sound stop?

OR

Is it when you even STATIONERY (no moving), u continuously tilt slightly L & R with your steering wheel & hear tak tak tak sound? And even sometimes when u drives, you can also hear tak tak sound even with little movement of the steering wheel? BUT STRANGELY THERE IS NO SOUND WHEN U DOING FULL TURN L OR R...

I encounter both:

If its is first one, then drive shaft is spoilt..wear n tear. change drive shaft will do. once u got tok tok tok sound...even changing the drive shaft CV joint cover also no use as damage is done. not expensive, ard 150 per pc to change, depending where u go.

If its is 2nd one, then the rubber coupling inside our electronic steering motor has worn out (also due to wear n tear)... this is very troublesome. it cost 500+ which I pay to Synergy AH Kang to settle the problem. 6 hours work to replace the bloody small coupling due to dismantling the WHOLE steering rack to reach the steering motor.

and after that, u need to settle the alignment & balancing. I pay another 50 to Kenny Alignment to align my front adjustable camber bolt...

hope this helps.

Is this the rubber coupling mentioned here?

5B3A049D-4E38-494E-B47C-5AC80412E1D8_zps

I just got a 2009 Avante S and wondering if these is a defect which can be rectified?

1.Steering wheel receiving kickbacks on full left

2.Car alarm doesn't go off at all? - or anyway to test it proper?

Neutral Newbie

im having the knocking sound problem also. anyone can recommend trusted work shop and reasonable price. thanks.

whatapps me 98317850.

Ok... My car EPS gone case.. Now I'm like driving a truck! U turning, parking is darn terrible, almost sprain my wrist.

Another 3 years to go, spending few $k to replace a new power steering unit seems a bit waste... Anywhere to find scrap car to buy the second hand spare parts?

Ok... My car EPS gone case.. Now I'm like driving a truck! U turning, parking is darn terrible, almost sprain my wrist.

Another 3 years to go, spending few $k to replace a new power steering unit seems a bit waste... Anywhere to find scrap car to buy the second hand spare parts?

Adding on to what happened, I brought back the car to Msia to change the absorber since I'm visiting there on a long weekend. Fix the steering wheel freeplay problem too. After collecting the car and drove for a day, the EPS lights up and the power steering cut off... I have to use all my might to turn the car off road to restart the car. The power steering revived but not for too long, it cut off again. Brought back to workshop. They do all the rewiring and check everything again because afraid that any connection might loosen after the replacement of the rubber coupling. power steering back in working condition. The next day, in the evening after a whole day of driving, the EPS lights up again and power steering cut off again. It was night time, but thank God that mechanic still OT in workshop. Sent back to workshop, he did a scan but couldn't detect any fault. Reset the EPS and reload software. Power steering back to normal operation again. All these happened in Ipoh. Early next morning, I left Ipoh for KL. Everything work fine. when about to leave KL for SG, the EPS lights up again and power steering cut off, even after a few attempts to restart the engine.

Till now, the car have no PS and I really need all my might to make a parking. I dare not attempt any parallel parking because it's really really not easy to manoeuvre the car at all.

Will be sending to workshop here to check again... last resort go back to Komoco that will cost a few $Ks to change the whole steering column and EPS unit [bigcry]

Hi All,

I have had the EPS light on for months, but my steering is still light (the power steering still works). Went to a few workshops and did a scan, error code was steering alignment out. Unable to reset the EPS. The light will go off for a few minutes, but will come back on. Was recommended to change the whole EPS unit at about $2K plus. Anyone can share their experience on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

From,

Fanazmi

Hi All,

I have had the EPS light on for months, but my steering is still light (the power steering still works). Went to a few workshops and did a scan, error code was steering alignment out. Unable to reset the EPS. The light will go off for a few minutes, but will come back on. Was recommended to change the whole EPS unit at about $2K plus. Anyone can share their experience on this issue?

Thanks in advance.

From,

Fanazmi

any update? sold the car?