Pay Lawyer Fee Even 3rd Party Claim?

Rogersk8ter

Hi all.

Sorry if my topic title is not clear.

Made a 3rd party claim this year.

Then, a few month later, received a lawyer invoice to pay lawyer fee.

Wrote back to the lawyer to ask why I need to pay since its a 3rd party claim?

The lawyer replied that the legal costs is a different issue from the cost of repair.

Workshop claim legal fee...no? If i pay the legal fee can I claim it back from the workshop?

Need your advice. Thanks.

↡ Advertisement

Hi all.

The lawyer replied that the legal costs is a different issue from the cost of repair.

Workshop claim legal fee...no? If i pay the legal fee can I claim it back from the workshop?

Ask your insurance co.

Never heard of practice like this...

Bro, i was involved in a chain collision in July.

My insurer told me to forward all lawyer's letter sent by the other party to them.

So i think your case is somehow not a normal one?

Hi all.

My advise to you is to check with your car Insurer and workshop immediately about this particular motor claims out-come.

Normally, 3rd party traffic accident claiming failed, if the other driver proven that you are partly or fully at fault, the verdict should be finalise by Traffic Police and you are suppose to be inform by the authority as well.

Hope this helps.......

• Praise 2

I wonder if the party u claimed against declared bankrupt so his lawyer cannot claim on him so try their luck n see if ty can get u to pay?

Nowadays I see so many strange things happening in the motor industry. [speechless]

Really companies becoming so unprofessional in SG. [thumbsdown]

Hi all.

Yes, it is possible as lawyers are also entitled to charge you for work done. However they should make clear to you on the breakdown of fees at the time they were appointed. Obviously they are apponted by the workshop, not by you but I believe you had signed some forms given by the workshop to give express consent to the workshop to engage lawyer on your behalf.

Just like any other motorists, you could have simply sign on blank forms that the workshop gave to you to help you make 3rd party claim. Check with yr workshop again .... ask for all the documents you have signed... I believe in 1 of those documents there are some clauses regarding the legal costs.

Edited by Sci10213

Yes, it is possible as lawyers are also entitled to charge you for work done. However they should make clear to you on the breakdown of fees at the time they were appointed. Obviously they are apponted by the workshop, not by you but I believe you had signed some forms given by the workshop to give express consent to the workshop to engage lawyer on your behalf.

Just like any other motorists, you could have simply sign on blank forms that the workshop gave to you to help you make 3rd party claim. Check with yr workshop again .... ask for all the documents you have signed... I believe in 1 of those documents there are some clauses regarding the legal costs.

Yup, although we signed all those papers, but in the event there's a dispute of the claim and lawyer needs to get in, we are still being told to go down to the insurer's lawyer office to sign more forms under our own names including clauses that we are responsible for the legal fees, blah blah blah.............. (although if you queried them, they will tell you legal fees will be charged all-in together in the final claim settlement and normally we need not pay).

So, reckon probably TS case might not be so straight forward (as in not 100% win case).

• Praise 1

Hi all.

What your lawyer is demanding from you is 'solicitors and client's costs'. It is a practice approved by the legal system. The costs paid to your lawyer by the third party (party and party costs) is kept by your lawyer. Your lawyer than adds another 20% to this costs and bills you. E.g the third party settles your claim against him, pays your claim and pays your lawyer's fees, say, $100.00. Your lawyer keeps this money and adds 20% to it, is $20.00 and ask you to pay him this $20.00.

In litigation, the winner never really wins 100%!