Malaysia: Drive and Eat Melaka by the Bear

The_Bear

I keep coming across request for information on driving to Melaka on this forum. The following 2 guides have been posted previously on this forum but sometimes it is just so difficult to find. I start a new thread to make it easier to people looking for information on Melaka.

Here is a simple driving guide to driving from Singapore to Melaka using the North-South Highway from my own experience.

The NS Highway stretch from Singapore to Meleka is designated E2. So if you are lost, keep looking out for the E2 route sign.

Drive carefully and get up to speed slowly. Getting up to 110kph should not be a major problem. After that, slowly get used to higher speed in the region of 120kph+ for overtaking. If not comfortable, just stay on the left lane, but try not to go too slow. Listen carefully to your car for any strange noises. Make sure your passengers are buckled up and if they are distracting you, tell them so politely and ask them to help watch the road.

There are KM markers (milestone) along the NS Highway. It’s either on the divider or at the side of the road. 0km is JB, counting up as you go Northbound. The markers are seen every 100meters (white plate) and every 1km, green plate, IIRC or vice versa. Try to keep a look out for them every now and then to orientate yourself. You can ask you passengers to do that for you. Keeps them awake.

North bound out of SGP, Machap R&R is around 70+km mark. It’s a big stop so rather safe, but still the common cautions be taken i.e look after your belongings. There will not be much stop from here until Pagoh 140km mark, so I recommend the Machap stop to refresh a bit. There is a Baskin Robin here but the price is pretty steep.

After Yong Peng (100km), which is about half-way to Melaka, you will cross the hills. Some up-slopes and sweeping bends. Keep the power and momentum going so you dun loose too much speed or get caught out trying to accelerate up-slope. Coming off the hills will be a stretch of concrete straight road. There are a few culverts you will cross so keep your eyes looking far ahead. Slow down if you dun want to roller-coaster your passengers. Pagoh R&R is another big stop at around 145km. You can stop if you want to.

Next up is Tangkak (nothing there) and the Johor-Malacca State border. Once you pass Jasin, your exit will be coming up next. Keep a look out for the signs and milestone.

Exit AYER KEROH for Melaka. Exit 231. The exit is at 195km mark. So start to pay attention at around 190km mark. Signal and keep left earlier becoz exits come and go rather fast when travelling at high speed. If you miss the exit, don't panic.
Never try to reverse on the NS Highway. Just keep going on, there is another exit at 217km mark. Exit to Alor Gajah and make your way back to Melaka either using Route No. 5 (Old road) or get back on the South bound lane of E2. If you miss that, go KL, the food is better anyway.

From the toll plaza at Ayer Keroh, it’s another 20mins to downtown Melaka, look out for the sign - PUSAT BANDARAYA. You will most likely get lost a few times from here to town, but that is part of the fun of driving to Malaysia. Have a good trip.

Other relevant links:

PLUS Site - http://www.plus.com.my/

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 11

Here are some of the info I can find of the places I eat when I am in Melaka. Most of them are within 5 minute drive (without the awesome jams) from Jonker. I would normally try to stay within walking distant of Jonker so I can avoid driving as much as possible during the weekends.

1. Teo Soon Loong Chan (Bear Rating: 4.721/5)

My favorite in Melaka since 1997. Small family run restaurant. Make sure you make your reservation and be on time. Must try Oyster Noodles, Oh-Nee. Roast Pig must be ordered in-advanced. They sell their chilli at RM7 per box. Our Ex-PM Mr. Goh was there when he visited Melaka. J Don’t forget to say “Hello” to Uncle Tan. If he is in a good mood, he will introduce to you the daily specials beside the open freezer.
http://www.tslcmalaysia.com/teochew_main.htm

Update: Jan 2015. They are shifting to a new place near Restaurant New Lagoon. Will open on 1st March 2015.

Update: Apr 2015. The new address is No.42 & 44 Jalan KPKS 1, Komploeks Pernlagaan Kota Syahbandar, 75200 Melaka. Make sure you make your reservation as there WILL BE a sizable crowd on weekends.

2. Restoran Bei Zhan (Bear Rating 4.1255/5)

Tucked in the corner of Jln Kota Laksamana. This restaurant is a gem of simple culinary excellence. Nice food & service at reasonable price. The house fried kuey teow is delicious. Tried the Assam Fish Head.

3. LIM KEE RESTAURANT (Bak Kut Teh). Jalan Laksamana Cheng Ho, 75000 Melaka, Malacca, Malaysia. +60 16-644 5555 (Bear Rating 3.9128/5)
Located beside Tan Kim Hock HQ store (ask around, the locals will know) in a zinc roofed shed. Old styled black claypot BKT. BKT is Malaysia style with everything in a pot including spare-parts. Prepare to sweat it out on a warm day.

3A. Teo Chew Bak Kut Teh. Jalan Melaka Raya 4, Opposite IRIS Hotel (The address Melaka Raya 20 on Trip advisor is wrong) Rating 4.05/5

I stayed at Hatten and was too lazy to drive over to Lim Kee in the morning. So followed Trip advisor's lead and checked out the "best" BKT in Melaka. A 10  minutes walk from Hatten. The BKT's herbal taste is lighter than Lim Kee but still the black type. The pig throttles were excellent to go with the yam rice. Perfect comfort food at 8am in Melaka. Why can't we have the same BKT in SGP?

4. ‎ Fat Lee Restoran aka 肥李 (Crabs glorious crab, Bear Rating 4.3428/5)
Refer to someone's blog:
http://4-the-love-of-food.blogspot.com/201...-in-melaka.html
Nice but quite pricey. RM200 for 2 big crabs. Even so, still substantially cheaper than what you pay for in Singapore. If there are not enough stomach for a meal, the alternative is to Dabao aka take-away and eat in the comfort of your hotel room later the night. (PS The opposite supermarket sells beer) and remember to bring your own kiapster if you intend to dabao back to room. The shop is located opposite Bayview Hotel.

5. Chicken Rice Ball - Chung Wah (Bear Rating 4.201/5, Super long queue and hot)

http://www.onestopmalaysia.com/food-review...-rice-ball.html

6. Popiah - In front of Mdm King's emporium (Bring plenty of tissue) (Bear Rating 4.0007/5)
http://food.malaysiamostwanted.com/venues/...alan-bunga-raya

7. Fried Oyster - Near Mdm King (Alley along the same road) (Bear Rating: Haven’t tried, no enough stomach)
http://www.tourism-melaka.com/BungaRaya.html

8. Kong Hoe Coffee Shop, 70 Jln Bunga Raya. Char Siew and Sio Bak (Bear Rating 3.6 to 4.1/5, depends on which one you choose)

Same street as Madam King. Small alleyway with a few stalls selling the same. Great taste, great price.

9. Nonya - If you really insist
Nancy Restaurant - Never tried but it is one of the more famous ones. Must reserve, over-rated, I heard.
Ole Sayang - Not too bad but normally I skip becoz too many other things to eat but some of my friends really like it. Maybe I am not too into Nonya food. Rather expensive too.
http://eatinout.blogspot.com/2006/10/ole-sayang-melaka.html

10. Curry Puff - edai Kopi & Makanan Yung Lai Siang 永来香茶餐室

Grandpa aka Ah Kong Curry Puff. Was introduced to this place by a nice local auntie while eating a/m Poh Piah like yaokwee along the roadside. She insisted we should try it because it is "40yrs no change" in her words. Full as we were, we picked up a few pieces on the way out of Melaka, planning to eat them when we stop for coffee along the highway. We stopped at Pagoh around 3pm and ate the curry puffs. Regret. Very tempted to u-turn back to Melaka to buy a few more. I will leave Carol to describe the puffs in details http://carolslifejourney.blogspot.sg/2011/12/grandpas-curry-puff-without-grandpa.html

should put "Drive, Eat & Sleep in Melaka"  :D

Sleep still need guide? Just close your eyes lah

Edited by Bavarian
  • Praise 3

Dude, not BS. The popiah is really 4.00007/ 5 😂😂

Okay. So If I go there this weekend and it doesn't rate 4.00007/5 , you will be paying for my petrol?

Okay. So If I go there this weekend and it doesn't rate 4.00007/5 , you will be paying for my petrol?

Go eat and come back & tell me it's not nice. :D

Next up the east coast!

Top Gear style?