Malaysia: Drive and Eat Melaka by the Bear

The_Bear

I normally take a leisurely drive to Crystal Bay @ Alai for Ikan Bakar . its good . 20min drive from Mahkota. There are about 7 -10 restaurants , all serving BBQ seafood along river side. Nice environment and reasonably priced. If interested, suggest you ask a local / hotel for direction - u wont regret

↡ Advertisement

I normally take a leisurely drive to Crystal Bay @ Alai for Ikan Bakar . its good . 20min drive from Mahkota. There are about 7 -10 restaurants , all serving BBQ seafood along river side. Nice environment and reasonably priced. If interested, suggest you ask a local / hotel for direction - u wont regret

Wow finally hear someone who knows Alai area! I grow up in that kampong where my grandparents stay, my uncle still staying there [laugh]

How about hing loong taiwanese noodle? Heard quite nice

Location gps 2.209629, 102.242559

I find it very authentic. Lady boss is Taiwanese married to Malaysian.

Now here in Melaka. Chung Wah closed. So ate at Hoe Kee. [:(]

Popiah stall not open when I arrived at 11am. Operating hours 1pm to 9pm. [:(]

Lao San cafe which had nice chendol also closed. [smallcry]

Hope Fat Lee is open for dinner later. [rolleyes]

Went back to the popiah stall this evening, at last. Get to eat the nice popiah. The ingredients are different from what is used in SG.

post-2654-0-72977800-1427984553_thumb.jpg

Also had crabs for dinner at Fat Lee. As usual, fresh n juicy Carnation milk flavored crab for me. Price increased, now its RM93/kg. :o

Had Teo Chew BKT as recommended by Bear. The soup's herbal taste is lighter. The meat is nice, tender and soft. Nicely done. Worth the walk from Hatten Hotel.

post-2654-0-84170600-1428109860_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-57951500-1428109873_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-57122300-1428109937_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

Dinner was at Portugese Settlement. Lots of Singapore cars here. Its basically a seafood hawker centre and no hint of portugese culture except for the food sellers there. Lots of food sellers will approach u to eat at their stall. We tried out stall number 2. The food is not bad, we liked the crab done in salted egg taste. It cost RM70/kg here, cheaper than Fat Lee.

We also had Butter Garlic Prawns and Portugese Debal Curry(looks spicy but not spicy at all).

post-2654-0-64923100-1428110228_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-86060400-1428110245_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-79756000-1428110258_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-56015600-1428110271_thumb.jpg

post-2654-0-84111000-1428110283_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Dinner was at Portugese Settlement. Lots of Singapore cars here. Its basically a seafood hawker centre and no hint of portugese culture except for the food sellers there. Lots of food sellers will approach u to eat at their stall. We tried out stall number 2. The food is not bad, we liked the crab done in salted egg taste. It cost RM70/kg here, cheaper than Fat Lee.

We also had Butter Garlic Prawns and Portugese Debal Curry(looks spicy but not spicy at all).

attachicon.gifPortugese Settlement 001.jpg

attachicon.gifPortugese Settlement 002.jpg

attachicon.gifPortugese Settlement 003.jpg

attachicon.gifPortugese Settlement 004.jpg

attachicon.gifPortugese Settlement 005.jpg

Thanks for your feedback and update on food in Melaka. 👍

I have not been to the Portugese setttlement before because need to drive. Seems like I will have to go and take a look the next time. 😊

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

For Portuguese settlement, try to plan going there during Christmas season

The houses there would be decorated with lights and there would be caroling while you eat

Also can purchase firecrackers and set them alight into the sea and other pasar malam stalls selling Christmas items

• Praise 1

Had Teo Chew BKT as recommended by Bear. The soup's herbal taste is lighter. The meat is nice, tender and soft. Nicely done. Worth the walk from Hatten Hotel.

attachicon.gifBKT 001.jpg

attachicon.gif

BKT 002.jpg

attachicon.gifBKT 003.jpg

Teochew BKT is still my favorite BKT shop in Melaka, another I frequent is Lim Kee. Best is still Teluk Pulai BKT at Klang, but it is another 1.5 hours drive away.

You are not going to Teo Soon Loong Chan? Heard they have moved. They are a pretty decent shop, not die die must try but better than Bei Zhan these days.

(edited)

Will be driving up to Melaka this weekend (1st time), with wife and 2 toddlers. Want to have a safe and joyful trip.

I remember there's a satay shop, only sells satay in the day time. Anyone been there?

Also addtional tips in keeping safe when travelling as a family.

You reckon i'd need a sim card at all for the 3 days?

Thanks

Edited by Pharme

Will be driving up to Melaka this weekend (1st time), with wife and 2 toddlers. Want to have a safe and joyful trip.

I remember there's a satay shop, only sells satay in the day time. Anyone been there?

Thanks

If the Satay shop you mentioned (behind Jonker Street area) then it is closed (permanently) when I visited in March. Heard it was good and wanted to try too.

If the Satay shop you mentioned (behind Jonker Street area) then it is closed (permanently) when I visited in March. Heard it was good and wanted to try too.

YES I remembered yrs back they have moved near Jonker Street. Sigh... Thanks for the heads up.

• Praise 1

YES I remembered yrs back they have moved near Jonker Street. Sigh... Thanks for the heads up.

If you go behind Jonker ST there is a corner coffeshop (with huge outdoors sitting) that serve quite good satay too. Cannot miss the place one.

Many things to eat there. Must try the oyster with Duck egg.

• Praise 1

Don't know about any famous satay stall, but, if anyone's looking for pig intestine satay, it can be found at the big kopishop described in my post #52 in this thread.

• Praise 1

Thanks

Usual precautions aside, eyes on toddlers at all times as Jonkers and Dataran areas are, needlesa to say, crowded during the weekends.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7