Home-stay for holiday instead of Hotel? (AIRBNB)

BabyBlade

Internal Moderator

Has anyone heard of or used before this service https://www.airbnb.com.sg/?

Basically when you travel to a foreign country for a vacation, instead of securing your accommodation from the usual source such as hotels, motels or hostels, airbnb.com.sg brings together hosts from the country who are willing to rent out their room for you to live in. In layman terms, they play host to you, the guests.

This isn't anything new (for me it is) and I am trying to find accommodations for my vacation next year and am wondering if anyone has any experience to share (both good and bad).

What do you guys think of this idea or would you rather stay in a standard hotel?

I will only be traveling with a fellow girlfriend hence I kinda liked the idea that airbnb.com.sg offers. Some of the prices available there are rather attractive, beautiful rooms, near popular tourist spots etc.

Pros:

Might be cheaper than hotels

Able to live with the local hosts and learn more about their culture

Some hosts could be really amazing people

Some of the apartments/rooms are really beautiful

Cons:

Nothing scarier than a bad host [sweatdrop][thumbsdown]

Took some screenshots using Gold Coast as an example.

post-107101-0-62695300-1385712893_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-78988800-1385712903_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-62603900-1385712911_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-27835100-1385712921_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-03276300-1385712936_thumb.jpg

Can't see the words but what it says is basically house rules etc.

Edited by BabyBlade
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Used few times before, not bad! (experience limited to Taipei, London n Paris, other place haven't tried)

Good to hear as I read of some bad experiences.

How does it work actually? You contact the hosts to check availability etc, then do you do any background checks on them?

What about payment wise?

Do share! [grin]

How does it work actually? You contact the hosts to check availability etc, then do you do any background checks on them?

What about payment wise?

Do share! [grin]

Yup, and do the hosts stay in the same house as you?

It looks nice , but as the above bro pointed out, there are many details to know before renting....

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

It looks nice , but as the above bro pointed out, there are many details to know before renting....

Yeah the hosts are staying in the same house as you, though sometimes that may not be the case.

For some houses, they do rent out a few rooms at once so you might probably bump into the other guests as well. Probably from different countries and all.

Quite awesome.

Don't think many people have heard of this home stay.

What about payment wise?

Do share! [grin]

I was looking for reasonably priced (read - cheap) accommodation, checked reviews by former lodgers (taking them with a pinch of salt), took the chance and fortunately all turned out fine

Payment thru visa card in advance (again, some risks were involved)

My experience --

Paris --- its an old apartment but renovated, reasonably comfortable, self-contained, walking distance to train station, host didn't live there

UK --- I chose a pretty low-cost suburb, mainly coloured people, the host is an IT professional and rented the spare room to me

Taipei --- the host is a pretty ABC female, she's friendly and efficient, very well equipped apartment in town area, no she didn't live in the apartment but I suspect she live in the same block coz she met with in very casual cloth...

Yes, used it when i visited London. I stayed in a very good neighbourhood near theatres etc. It is actually a room rental owned by a housing company. Bathroom is communal amd comes with a shared kitchen. Really worth the price. The host listed goes by the name Alan Cardinal(?)

Thanks to all for your info... seems to me Airbnb more like rent room/house ... Ok la.. some can tahan others staying with them (for lower accomo cost) while some like to hv whole house to themselves (more ex).. either way think this airbnb is a good option to look for accomo when hotels are too ex or not avail.. thanks to all again for your share share here... [thumbsup]

2 gals travelling together should be quite safe.

As a good looking guy travelling alone I wouldn't risk it.

Anything could happen to me, drink spiked and then taken

advantage of. Could be a real pain up the ass.

To save money can always try cheap hotels,

or a bed and breakfast.

But I guess the clincher is if you like the look of the

host or the room then you can try it.

[thumbsup]

• Praise 2

Try the host or the room or both at the same time? [laugh]

Used this before on my trip to Toronto, i basically researched every apartment that was being advertised and went with the one that had the most positive review. Payment was through credit card where the funds are held in an escrow account, released to the landlord once your stay has completed.

Note that in certain areas this scheme is considered illegal rental and at any point in time the regulators may investigate and decide your stay in the room/apartment as illegal. You as a tenant may not be penalized but imagine having to find an alternative place to stay at such short notice. However i enjoyed my stay and the landlord was awesome, gave some travel tips and basically provided a platform for me to network with.

Be sure to ask the landlord/owner all the questions you need to ask before committing to it (e.g. parking spaces, public transport routes, amenities, etc)

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Used this before on my trip to Toronto, i basically researched every apartment that was being advertised and went with the one that had the most positive review. Payment was through credit card where the funds are held in an escrow account, released to the landlord once your stay has completed.

Note that in certain areas this scheme is considered illegal rental and at any point in time the regulators may investigate and decide your stay in the room/apartment as illegal. You as a tenant may not be penalized but imagine having to find an alternative place to stay at such short notice. However i enjoyed my stay and the landlord was awesome, gave some travel tips and basically provided a platform for me to network with.

Be sure to ask the landlord/owner all the questions you need to ask before committing to it (e.g. parking spaces, public transport routes, amenities, etc)

Thanks for the information. Have yet to book my room since I gotta wait for my friend to confirm.

By the time she can confirm, probably not available le. [sweatdrop]

2 gals travelling together should be quite safe.

To save money can always try cheap hotels,

or a bed and breakfast.

[thumbsup]

The hosts are mostly in their mid forties or fifties from what I saw. I would like some sort of a fatherly or motherly figure type. Haha. If I see a young punk photo, would probably not rent from him. Never know what's happening there. Stereotyping but foreign land, can't trust everyone.

• Praise 1

sounds fun. I always believe that going overseas is to get more in touch with their life and culture.

Me too. I love learning about about other cultures especially Korea and Japan.

I have a spare room and thinking of opening it up to young people from Japan that love Cosplay

especially the maid's outfit or young ladies from Korea that love to look and dress up like

Girls Generation or Wonder Gals or T-ara. Lets all reach out and touch someone and make this

world a friendlier place.

[:)]

Me too. I love learning about about other cultures especially Korea and Japan.

I have a spare room and thinking of opening it up to young people from Japan that love Cosplay

especially the maid's outfit or young ladies from Korea that love to look and dress up like

Girls Generation or Wonder Gals or T-ara. Lets all reach out and touch someone and make this

world a friendlier place.

[:)]

hahahaha!!

I suppose you will need extra help for housekeeping when you have visitors right! I don't mind helping out!