Home-stay for holiday instead of Hotel? (AIRBNB)

BabyBlade

i seldom use bnb while traveling but did it when we were in south Africa and Iceland.

south Africa:

I only used bnb which is registered with the local bnb association with a bnb logo placed outside their house endorsed by the local organization. usually the host will stay in the house and prepare breakfast for their guests in the morning. cape town area has a lot of nice bnb. they are quite professional and able to provide you info on places to visit and even provide you the local maps.

Iceland:

we used airbnb when we travel around Iceland. host usually not staying in the house but maybe nearby. we had the entire house to ourselves with standard amenities. you can use the equipment for cooking and do your laundry.

you have to observe the local rule and behave yourselves by not disturbing the neighbouring residents, else police will be called to visit you.

depending on what you want for your holiday.

convenient, straight forward and safe >> a good hotel.

great local living experience >> bnb. (you may need to spend some extra traveling time to locate the bnb location).

for overseas big country where hotels are hard to find in small town, it is good to have airbnb. However issues pop out when such service is allowed in small country with high population and congested housing problem, invite unnecessary conflict with the local residence.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

till now, i didnt have a chance to use AirBnB.

Cos my flights pattern are always arrives early in the morning (example : 0060hrs) and departs late at night (example : 2300hrs).

And it will incur additional cost for early check-in and late check-out. After calculation, hotel is still a better choice.

I'm going to try it in japan on my next trip.

Yours sounds like work trips so no point lah.

but yeah i booked hotels for the times when i need to leave my luggage. then only airbnb for the part whereby i can control my timing reaching into the city.

for overseas big country where hotels are hard to find in small town, it is good to have airbnb. However issues pop out when such service is allowed in small country with high population and congested housing problem, invite unnecessary conflict with the local residence.

agreed, small country like sin is not suitable for bnb and our culture and behaviour is not ready for bnb too.

isnt airbnb still illegal here? Cos u need to stay minimum 3 months.

need garment permission for renting out of HDB, and with the minimum stay period. 

Airbnb still has some business here, which is likely from commercial properties rather than private homes, aka hotels... 

Under the Planning Act, the new rules make it illegal for people to rent out, sublet or share their private homes with others for under six months. 

Following a 2015 public consultation by the URA, the bar was lowered to under three months for private homes from June 30 this year. For HDB flats, the minimum stay is still six months.

dun play play with public housing.

both are property agents. Wonder will CEA revoke their license or not

I'm going to try it in japan on my next trip.

Yours sounds like work trips so no point lah.

but yeah i booked hotels for the times when i need to leave my luggage. then only airbnb for the part whereby i can control my timing reaching into the city.

yes, Japan airbnb is a life saver. Japan hotels are very expensive, and tiny. For family, rates damn high. 

yes, Japan airbnb is a life saver. Japan hotels are very expensive, and tiny. For family, rates damn high. 

Yeah japan hotels are really killer. Especially in tokyo and kyoto. 

Yeah japan hotels are really killer. Especially in tokyo and kyoto. 

remember to check if have elevator. Many airbnb units in Japan are walkups. No joke to carry barang barang and kiddos up 4th floor EVERYDAY. And many of their stairs are steep

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

garment is seeking public feedback before setting up framework for allowing such accommodation in SG... 

Singapore to seek public views on short-term home rentals like Airbnb

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/singapore-seek-public-views-short-term-home-rentals-airbnb

Airbnb, founded in 2008 in San Francisco, matches people wishing to rent out all or part of their homes to temporary guests.

The firm has clashed with hoteliers and authorities in cities including New York, Amsterdam, Berlin and Paris, which in some cases are limiting short-term rentals. Critics accuse Airbnb of exacerbating housing shortages and driving out lower-income residents.

In a statement on Friday, Airbnb said Singapore's current regulatory framework "is untenable and does not reflect how Singaporeans travel or use their home today".

I like to use home-stay such as Airbnb, or Stayz in Aussie, when travelling with family mainly for 1 reason - able to do laundary. I will purposely shortlist those that have dryer too.  If you travel with big group including kids and elderly, you will not need to pack so many sets of clothes staying in houses with such facilities., especially when going in colder weather.

For my recent trip to Tasmania, I would plan to stay 2 nights in each house, and do the laundry on first night where possible. Really work out very well for my case, haha.

Another reason would be for cooking meals, as certain locations are very ulu, and cooking is more convenient and recommended.

• Praise 1

I like to use home-stay such as Airbnb, or Stayz in Aussie, when travelling with family mainly for 1 reason - able to do laundary. I will purposely shortlist those that have dryer too. If you travel with big group including kids and elderly, you will not need to pack so many sets of clothes staying in houses with such facilities., especially when going in colder weather.

For my recent trip to Tasmania, I would plan to stay 2 nights in each house, and do the laundry on first night where possible. Really work out very well for my case, haha.

Another reason would be for cooking meals, as certain locations are very ulu, and cooking is more convenient and recommended.

last time dun have those hotel bookings portal, we will do online search and book directly with the hostel apartment or farmstay owners. Airbnb provide a service to consolidate these owners and properties for user convenience.

last time dun have those hotel bookings portal, we will do online search and book directly with the hostel apartment or farmstay owners. Airbnb provide a service to consolidate these owners and properties for user convenience.

I would think of this as really helpful for those DIYers like me who like to plan and travel at my convenient timings.

I last visited Tasmania 15 years ago and so much had changed in the way we do the logistic arrangements. But have to take note that not every bookings would turn out well. My last night stay in Melbourne dock-side was very stressful due to negligence by the property agent who did not put the access card in the letter box as given in instruction, and resulted in 2hrs wasted in trying to contact the agent. Other than that, for those bookings of whole house, there seems to have a standard practice of leaving the house key in a 4-digit combination box mounted somewhere outside the house. Just need to get the 4-digit access code prior to landing, although I have to email a few times to get the code for 1 of the house and got it just the day before I arrive at the house. And have to deal with sub-standard shower foam/soap as most would not provide better quality ones, but that is a minor issue.

Oh boy.... I had the worst experience using that. I went to SG during the last week of November. I booked three accommodations that have an instant booking and they all accepted it. But damn, they took the payment and then canceled my bookings the day before my reservation. I was such a big hassle for me because the refund took more than two weeks to be processed. I was so tight because I  already allotted my budget for accommodation so having them to cancel on me messed up my budget entirely. I ended up staying in hostels. Never again airbnb.

Oh boy.... I had the worst experience using that. I went to SG during the last week of November. I booked three accommodations that have an instant booking and they all accepted it. But damn, they took the payment and then canceled my bookings the day before my reservation. I was such a big hassle for me because the refund took more than two weeks to be processed. I was so tight because I already allotted my budget for accommodation so having them to cancel on me messed up my budget entirely. I ended up staying in hostels. Never again airbnb.

You book Airbnb in SG? It is not legal here and budget hotel is everywhere.

Any chance of this rule to be relax soon?

SINGAPORE - Two men were charged on Tuesday (Dec 5) over their roles in providing unauthorised short-term stays to tenants.

This is the first use of new regulations against home sharing since they kicked in on May 15.

Terence Tan En Wei, 35, and Yao Songliang, 34, face four charges each for renting out their private property to others for under six months. They are expected to plead guilty.

The premises “was occupied by the same person(s) for a period of less than six consecutive months in return for the payment of rent”, in breach of regulations, court documents stated.

The men face a fine of up to S$200,000 on each charge. Prosecutors however requested fines of S$20,000 per charge for a total of S$80,000 for each of the two defendants, who spoke in court to plead guilty to the charges. Defence lawyers sought fines of US$5,000 per charge.

The minimum rental period for private homes in Singapore is three months, meaning typical short-term lettings on platforms like Airbnb are prohibited.

Why? You want to use your home as a hotel?

The rule is there to preserve the environment of residential areas.  If a few apartments start having strangers coming in and out, just think how it would reduce the value of neighbouring properties.

• Praise 3

Why? You want to use your home as a hotel?

The rule is there to preserve the environment of residential areas.  If a few apartments start having strangers coming in and out, just think how it would reduce the value of neighbouring properties.

from the news, the agent that got caught was making 19,000 for 5 weeks rental? That's more attractive then lease agreement.

Something to ponder on.

If the development has a large number of shoebox, then it would probably not matter.

Oh boy.... I had the worst experience using that. I went to SG during the last week of November. I booked three accommodations that have an instant booking and they all accepted it. But damn, they took the payment and then canceled my bookings the day before my reservation. I was such a big hassle for me because the refund took more than two weeks to be processed. I was so tight because I  already allotted my budget for accommodation so having them to cancel on me messed up my budget entirely. I ended up staying in hostels. Never again airbnb.

Yeah, chances are you'll get homes that are in poor condition as well; rent is the same though [lipsrsealed]

Turbocharged

Majority of Airbnb units are managed by property/rental agents. Don't think owner so free to interact with tourists asking the same queries everyday. I've done Japan Airbnb several times as the hotel there is super expensive, Airbnb rates not cheap either, but for a family of 4 or more, it's very worth it. Of the many times, I've never seen nor talk to the agent/owner face to face. They even put the key in the unlocked letterbox, ask me to retrieve myself. Even checkout, ask me put back same place. That's how safe Japan is. lol.

↡ Advertisement