Ex-driving school car for sale?

Soya

A fren was look for a used car recently and saw a few which had high mileage. He suspected they were ex-driving school (pte instructors) cars and asked me if they were allowed to sell these pte plate cars on the mkt. I oso not sure if its allowed by LTA. [confused] Anyone knows?

↡ Advertisement

Yes why not? Either sell or export lor, driving centre car or pte instructor car also use normal COE.

Saw some ex-ssdc cars for sale at turf city a few years ago, this was the time they were switching to Honda city and clearing their old fleet of EK civics.

Safer to skip

A fren was look for a used car recently and saw a few which had high mileage. He suspected they were ex-driving school (pte instructors) cars and asked me if they were allowed to sell these pte plate cars on the mkt. I oso not sure if its allowed by LTA. [confused] Anyone knows?

What sort of buyer is your friend?

Yes/No to:-

- High mileage but regularly maintained.

- Low mileage but not regularly maintained.

- Female owner, low mileage, never maintain.

I dont mind a high mileage car as long as owner take care of it and even minor accidents are acceptable to me.

If owner is a racer, better still as one will know how to take care of the engine (cold dont rev so much etc).

I will tend to avoid girl's car high chances that car riding on kerbs, parking against kerb, rev when engine is cold, not reving at all etc.

I dunno if it's allowed, but very likely i would not consider. Reason is very simple, it have been drove by various noob which can be rough or "damaging" to the car itself. Moreover, remember the "tap dashboard" test when u r still learning driving? imagine if that car had been used by say 100 students for the lesson and test, even if these students are 1 time pass. it would have went through 200 times of Jam-brake. And i heard jam brake is very damaging to the car engine, or something, not good.

Will there be brake pedal on the passenger side?

I agreed that jam brake can be quite stressful for the parts. It is more stressful to joints compared to vibrations.

And given the same mileage of 2 cars but 1 belonging to driving school and 1 normal car, the driving school one is subjected to more stop and go which is much more stressful also. For consideration when choosing between such cars and normal cars.

The instructor's brake pedal is usually removed before it is sold off.

Yeah I wouldn't encourage anyone to buy an ex driving school car, those things have been to hell and back, plus the maintenance isn't exactly top-notch either. Plus those cars go thru literally thousands of noobs' hands.

Private instructor cars tend to be in better condition.

Think it is very common to see high mileage vehicles in Singapore, and not necessarily from driving school. Higher chance of them coming from Malaysian drivers. Just imagine how much mileage can one cover in the circuit, even for on-the-road training, how many km can they cover driving at probably 30-40km/hr?

Anyways, with the new lemon law in place, it is less risky buying a high mileage car, provided you plan to scrap it in a year or two. As long as the condition is of reasonable standards and price is cheap, it is still worth considering. Whether it is a lemon or not after the first 6 months, depends on your luck!

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Turf club used to sell the old school trainee cars. Exterior wise, they are okay. Not sure about the maintenance and the handling. I'm sure for cost saving, the school definitely uses the lowest grade refillable. The price isn't attractive too.

I dunno if it's allowed, but very likely i would not consider. Reason is very simple, it have been drove by various noob which can be rough or "damaging" to the car itself. Moreover, remember the "tap dashboard" test when u r still learning driving? imagine if that car had been used by say 100 students for the lesson and test, even if these students are 1 time pass. it would have went through 200 times of Jam-brake. And i heard jam brake is very damaging to the car engine, or something, not good.

Jam brake causes more wear/tear for brakes/suspension I can understand..

but jam brake not good for engine??? hmm... unless the person didn't clutch in and let the engine stall? otherwise I don't see why is there a problem for the engine.

Wear and tear must be super high, its a 99% city driving car anyway. 1% highway maybe only for personal usage if the car belongs to the instructor, there are some cars from cdc that belongs to the instructors, those without the colourful stickers.

Will there be brake pedal on the passenger side?

I agreed that jam brake can be quite stressful for the parts. It is more stressful to joints compared to vibrations.

And given the same mileage of 2 cars but 1 belonging to driving school and 1 normal car, the driving school one is subjected to more stop and go which is much more stressful also. For consideration when choosing between such cars and normal cars.

Aiyoh. How can ty sell car with a brake pedal on the passenger side. Wait yr passenger sneeze, he wil jam brake. Die lah.

• Praise 1

Think it is very common to see high mileage vehicles in Singapore, and not necessarily from driving school. Higher chance of them coming from Malaysian drivers. Just imagine how much mileage can one cover in the circuit, even for on-the-road training, how many km can they cover driving at probably 30-40km/hr?

Anyways, with the new lemon law in place, it is less risky buying a high mileage car, provided you plan to scrap it in a year or two. As long as the condition is of reasonable standards and price is cheap, it is still worth considering. Whether it is a lemon or not after the first 6 months, depends on your luck!

Remember those cars r on the road maybe 8-10 hrs a day. Most other cars only 2-3 hrs a day.

Plus learners wil hv poor driving skills n knock here n knock there.

Also Lemon Law sud only apply to brand new items. 2nd hand is not covered.

Jam brake causes more wear/tear for brakes/suspension I can understand..

but jam brake not good for engine??? hmm... unless the person didn't clutch in and let the engine stall? otherwise I don't see why is there a problem for the engine.

If those cars r manual, I wil not touch. Auto maybe can still consider if ty selling at a big discount.

I read n seems like for 2nd hand, there r various GREY AREAS.

The laws r not so clearly spelt out which leaves room for the retailer to wriggle out.

Last time private driving instructors registered their cars in wife's name and when they sell it, they advertised "Well kept lady teacher's car, seldom used except for travels between school and home............." [sly][sly]

↡ Advertisement