Trade-in for buying new car

Jokerd

Neutral Newbie

Sry TS to hijack yr thread cos I hv qtns rather similar to yrs...

If we scrap it ourselves, would we be able to get a better deal than trading current car in? Do we call in scrap operators or how? For those who have done it or have the knowledge, could you plse share cos I've read up LTA procedures but still want to find out other options. TIA for advice.

Depends.

PML offered me more than double my scrap value to entice me to buy its last 1-series.

Other dealers will take in at scrap value and do all the paperwork for me ie. if I were to buy from them.

If you find a one-stop scrap dealer without the hassle, pls share too k.

Mine's due in Feb. Tks!

↡ Advertisement

Depends.

PML offered me more than double my scrap value to entice me to buy its last 1-series.

Other dealers will take in at scrap value and do all the paperwork for me ie. if I were to buy from them.

If you find a one-stop scrap dealer without the hassle, pls share too k.

Mine's due in Feb. Tks!

Dealers must also include the car body value in addition to the scrap value.

Supercharged

Dealers must also include the car body value in addition to the scrap value.

Hi Achee, my dealer said nowadays car body value only afew hundred dollars cos now no value in exporting car & they don't get physical cash just a piece of paper from scrap yard.

How to verify his statement and find out my car value cos this is my first time doing trade-in?

Appreciate if you could advice me. Thank you.

Hi Achee, my dealer said nowadays car body value only afew hundred dollars cos now no value in exporting car & they don't get physical cash just a piece of paper from scrap yard.

How to verify his statement and find out my car value cos this is my first time doing trade-in?

Appreciate if you could advice me. Thank you.

It depends on what car you are trading in, its condition as well as the demand for your car model in export countries. One way is for you to check with a few scrap car dealers and compare what they can offer you. I recall some time back there was a thread in MCF on body value.

SUV like sorento and Q7 cannot sit comfortable with 6-7 ppl meh?

SUVs 3rd rows are not as comfortable as MPVs, but don't take my word for it, try it for yourself to believe... [nod]

overtrade seems to be over-used nowadays. 

In a way, the over-trade is effectively factored into the new car price. So ultimately its just a numbers game. 

overtrade simply means create money from thin air

no money to clear outstanding loan ... overtrade

no money for downpayment ... overtrade

want to take bigger loan ... overtrade

overtrade seems to be over-used nowadays.

In a way, the over-trade is effectively factored into the new car price. So ultimately its just a numbers game.

• Praise 1

Can't answer this question apples for apples cos some ADs have huge profit margins which they refuse to cut so indirectly give u higher trade in prices for your existing ride. Normally these are the luxury car ADs. B&B car ADs give u paper value trade in cos their margins typically smaller so go in with your eye open n don't get taken in by higher trade in prices.

These days with everything so transparent, u can get lots of info in onemotoring.com to give u a clear picture of what u getting!

Edited by Spring
  • Praise 4

The overtrade is a means of enticing you.

The nett price is what matters.

One way or another, you need to pay.

Jap companies tend to give you a WYSIWYG price.

The conti ones like Merc, BMW have a high list price, then offer discounts to make you feel good. But does anyone pay the SRP? 

Wanna ask. If your car had multiple faults and you wanna trade in the car with the AD for a new car

1) would you fix everything before the trade in?

2) trade in but declare every single fault?

3) keep mum as AD should check?

By the way I don't feel good selling the car to another buyer because there are multiple faults. And I don't wanna sell to second hand car dealer as they might not fix them. But AD will, right ?

Anyway wanna hear your opinions.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 2

Bro, no need to ask, Just trade in lah

Wait till u see the trade in price they give you, u wont be asking these Qs anymore [laugh]

Wanna ask. If your car had multiple faults and you wanna trade in the car with the AD for a new car

1) would you fix everything before the trade in?

2) trade in but declare every single fault?

3) keep mum as AD should check?

By the way I don't feel good selling the car to another buyer because there are multiple faults. And I don't wanna sell to second hand car dealer as they might not fix them. But AD will, right ?

Anyway wanna hear your opinions.

• Praise 11

Bro, no need to ask, Just trade in lah

Wait till u see the trade in price they give you, u wont be asking these Qs anymore [laugh]

confirm experienced bro here!

So far, i have yet to receive a reasonable trade in price. When i said reasonable, i m looking like ard 15-20k off those in the sgcarmart ones.

Always kenna 30-40k off.

sianz half

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4