Hyundai and Kia Overinflating Mileage Numbers

Watwheels

Talk about overinflating ones ability. I think only ppl in the US get to sue. Sgp owners LLST.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/113122567948/hyundai-and-kia-agree-to-pay-395m-usd-to-settle-lawsuits

South Korean automakers Hyundai and Kia have agreed to pay about 395M USD in order to settle lawsuits related to overinflating fuel economy numbers.

The entire debacle started more than a year ago and concerned 900,000 cars from 2011MY, 2012MY and 2013MY which had overstated mileage ratings. Eight Hyundai models and five Kia nameplates received the wrong mpg ratings and as a consequence about 53 lawsuits were initiated and then consolidated into a single case which was handled in the Los Angeles federal court.

Fast forward to today, Hyundai has agreed to pay an average of 353 USD to owners of approximately 600,000 cars, while 300,000 Kia owners will get about 667 USD. If we do the math, Hyundai will pay about 210M USD and Kia will have to part with 185M USD, according to the statements issued by the two companies.

The exact amount of money the two will have to pay depends on how many clients will choose to receive the lump sum payments. Owners who qualify for reimbursements have the possibility of either taking the payment or continue to take part in a reimbursement program initiated by Hyundai and Kia when the mpg figures were updated. This reimbursement plan consists of providing debit cards to compensate for the extra fuel clients had to acquire.

↡ Advertisement

Read somewhere that the figures were taken while coasting down a gentle slope. But in that article I read, Hyun volountarily refund them. Some critiqued that it was a PR stunt.

Japs also. They fig is based on Jap combine cycle = cuise at top gear at constant 60kmh over a fixed distance.

For whatever combine fig Ic, Korean, Jap, I take 2/3 of that as the real SIN figure.

Settlement/pax is not worth the trouble lah. As long as the car functioning ok then let it be. I don't think anyone buys Hyundai/Kia because persuaded by the FC numbers.

Fast forward to today, Hyundai has agreed to pay an average of 353 USD to owners of approximately 600,000 cars, while 300,000 Kia owners will get about 667 USD.

Other car makers are also making unsubstantiated claims when declaring the fuel economy of their vehicles. They did not mention anything about whether the claimed fuel economy is with the aircon switched on or off., or with the spare tyre in the boot, or others things that might contribute to better fuel economy. Some German cars are offering cars with 1.4l engines claimed a fuel economy of about 22km/l. Is there any truth in in?

Edited by Thedecemberone

Settlement/pax is not worth the trouble lah. As long as the car functioning ok then let it be. I don't think anyone buys Hyundai/Kia because persuaded by the FC numbers.

It's about the principle mah. How can they bluff consumers and take ppl for a ride?

If petrol company give you $80 worth when you paid $100 for the petrol. Do you just sit there and say as long as there's petrol in the tank it's ok? You will feel ripped off. Why do you think ppl sue?

Why just go after the Koreans? Other makes are just as guilty.

Not even close or way off of what is claimed lor.

So many car manufacturer over estimate their specs.

Last time Mitsubishi Lancer MR also claim that their car has 175bhp (+5bhp from Civic EK4)

Then people buy liao kenna cream left right center by the EK4 all make so much noise...Mitsubishi then say lesser than 175bhp.

People then say MR stands for Mechanical Retarded or Millennium Rubbish

Petrol is different, that one you can say I have lugi-ed $20 of petrol, pay me back, this one what are you going to say? The most is say the stats are wrong, you go and prove what you suffer, worth the settlement sum?

Plus petrol maybe 1 time I will let it go (but next time may not pump same brand), but if many times such that I lost thousands of dollars, maybe I will claim back.

It's about the principle mah. How can they bluff consumers and take ppl for a ride?

If petrol company give you $80 worth when you paid $100 for the petrol. Do you just sit there and say as long as there's petrol in the tank it's ok? You will feel ripped off. Why do you think ppl sue?

Petrol is different, that one you can say I have lugi-ed $20 of petrol, pay me back, this one what are you going to say? The most is say the stats are wrong, you go and prove what you suffer, worth the settlement sum?

Plus petrol maybe 1 time I will let it go (but next time may not pump same brand), but if many times such that I lost thousands of dollars, maybe I will claim back.

Ppl say it in your face dun want to pay you back $20, go sue lah. You also LL what.

May be you go sue dan they give you $20 voucher. Haha...

Obviously ppl do it to make it in the news and let the issue be known.

Edited by Watwheels

That's why I maintain whatever the broc states for mix driving, just take 2/3 of that as the real world figures or at least where living in sin is concerned. Anything more is a bonus.

My Getz says 14.5/liter. 2/3 = 9.57/litre with light foot. Which is about there.

mcf article on auris stated they got 12.7 instead of 17.5 /litre as per spec sheet. Also there.

Even my ex Honda 400cc bike stated 30/litre, I get only 20/litre. (maybe if drag less can get 23?)

Since sin, has little consumer rights, just have to be aware of the situation. Just like the new Maz 3 broc, states 100km/5.7 L or 17.54/L ?

I would rather set my expectation at 11.7 / litre. Many lao 3 owners report 9/litre. Broc for new 3 states 27% improvement over older model = 11.43 / L which is about there. Conservatively at least 11/L for new Maz 3 imo.

Cant cfm but an adver does not constitute a contract. If not contract, how to sue? So let the consumer beware.

• Praise 1

Not that I LL but as I said, I may choose to not do anything except never patronise the brand again. To each their own I guess, I'm sure some people will take action over the $20. But if it is in the thousands, I will do something about it.

Ppl say it in your face dun want to pay you back $20, go sue lah. You also LL what.

May be you go sue dan they give you $20 voucher. Haha...

Obviously ppl do it to make it in the news and let the issue be known.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

my hyundai verna average less than 9 km/l, going close to 11 km/l if i use a lot of expressway... can ask for compensation boh?

So bad? Got do regular servicing? Mine getting about 14-15km/l on average. If I drive hard like rev to 4-5k rpm before shifting then it drops to around 10km/l.

So bad? Got do regular servicing? Mine getting about 14-15km/l on average. If I drive hard like rev to 4-5k rpm before shifting then it drops to around 10km/l.

my verna is auto n is about same as yrs, did throttle body cleaning n service 10k shld be ok,

my verna is auto n is about same as yrs, did throttle body cleaning n service 10k shld be ok,

is ur AT Verna the 1.6 with VVT ?

Edited by Baal