Slotted Disc Rotors

Hondasteam

if you really need to upgrade something to your brakes... i suggest you upgrade your brake pump n better pads. instant diff!

if you change to slotted rotors you might start to hear screekingssss...

nope, less material to soak and dissipate heat...

I read somewhere slotted help to bring the pad's to its operating temp quicker, in this sense, you might be right.

if you really need to upgrade something to your brakes... i suggest you upgrade your brake pump n better pads. instant diff!

if you change to slotted rotors you might start to hear screekingssss...

First time hearing changing brake pump. Does it really help to improve braking? I also came to know there is aftermarket brake caliper (something like 2-pot) which you can change to improve braking. I suppose it helps by improving the grip between pad & disc.

I read somewhere slotted help to bring the pad's to its operating temp quicker, in this sense, you might be right.

First time hearing changing brake pump. Does it really help to improve braking? I also came to know there is aftermarket brake caliper (something like 2-pot) which you can change to improve braking. I suppose it helps by improving the grip between pad & disc.

It's all about science & physics, simplified in English:

1) Force applied from your foot is "little", not sufficient to stop the car weight of >1tons.

Hence brake booster/brake pump help to multiply this force.

Hence bigger booster=improvement braking power.

2) Rubber hose tend to expand during braking, hence caused the force applied not fully transmit to caliper.

Steel braid with better external steel reinforcement, minimize the rubber from expanded during braking. Then the force is better applied to caliper instead of the energy loss due to expanding the rubber.

Also rubber tend to expand under heat, addition of steel braid will help to minimize it.

So your will feel some improvement on pedal feel, but interms of stoping power is little improve only.

3) Piston on brake Calipers

Pressure required to clamp the brake disc to stop the car, and

PRESSURE = FORCE x AREA

Force is constant as it supplied from brake booster. So we can increase the PRESSURE by increasing the AREA figure.

Hence bigger or more piston on brake caliper = improve braking power.

4) Brake disc/rotor size

When brake disc is rotating as per car is moving, TORQUE required to stop the disc from rotate.

(2 x radius = diameter of disc)

TORQUE = FORCE x RADIUS

FORCE is the constant pressure from brake caliper.

Hence to increase TORQUE, we can increase the RADIUS of brake rotor.

Hence bigger brake disc = improve braking power.

4) Brake disc Surface area

When use bigger disc/rotor the surface area of contact with brake pad increase too.

same PRESSURE = FORCE x AREA = improve braking power.

5) Brake Disc and Brake Pad Friction

Friction is required to stop moving object.

Normally brake disc friction coefficient is fix due to machining finishing applied. Unless someone increase it surface roughness, the braking power may increase, but brake pad will wear faster and run noisy. Hence not feasible for road car.

Or someone changing "better" brake pad (= more friction), the braking power may increase, but same brake disc and brake pad will wear faster. (Like you see those brake disc with groove when not wear evenly)

Hence changing brake pad = improve slightly on braking power (but expect more wear and tear)

6) Slotted or Cross drill brake disc

Function to dissipate heat faster for tracking user = reduce brake fade.

Under normal driving will not feel any different.

But improve the cosmetic look = shiok feel

Above are some of the points, there are other we can do to improve braking power too.

Also when increasing brake force, car structural strength, suspension system also play the part or might be affected. As you know nowadays car is design up to its max limit due to manufacturing cost.

At the end of the day, it will depend on your investment budget and the feel good feeling which route to choose from.

• Praise 2

For honda its quite fun, u can upgrade to bigger pumps like typeR.. u can instantly feel there is less free play. If u r gg track or dwn from genting.. u can use racing brake fluid also, it will prevent the fluid from producing too much air bubbles, more air bubble u r loosing braking feel on ur pedal. So rem toget the mech to drain ur brake lines the proper way not the lazy way..

Actually if u r not gg for track or 10hard braking(ebrake)/min type, dont waste money. At the end of the day you will know stock brake feels better

Oh ya, 1more thing..u will b amazed by the brake dust for racing brake pad . Wash ur rim more often den

Oh ya, 1more thing..u will b amazed by the brake dust for racing brake pad . Wash ur rim more often den

Twincharged

At the end of the day, if you change everything but don't get better tires, I don't think you'll get much better braking performance.

At the end of the day, if you change everything but don't get better tires, I don't think you'll get much better braking performance.

Agreed. Invest on better tyre and change early before the thread finis or harden will be a wise choice..

As I seen many cosmetic modified cars but running with poor condition tyre really make no sense and endanger other road user.

• Praise 1

Lol if i see a car on the streets with glowing disc i will stay far far...

Anyway try try lar...everybod's car is different so got different effect. I change pads and it makes a difference. Ofcoourse i only choose tyres with A grading (EU label) in wet braking. I also like my brakedust coated rims over the ugly stock grey...LOL. brake pad dont get the racing ones, they need a certain temp to be effective..temp that will not be achieve on the streets.

(edited)

want better brake on stock setup use ceramic compound brake pad.

Ceramic compound not suitable for road use, it need to reach certain temp. to work effectively. Also TS want cost effective too.

Edited by Cavver
  • Praise 1

As some have mentioned slotted or cross drilled rotors will only make a real difference if you track the car and the rotors heat up after a few hot laps, then cooling is very important, or you might find yourself in the gravel...not fun, trust me.

For normal driving, and in terms of cost effectiveness, I would rank the upgrades as follows:

a) Steel braided brake hoses

b) Upgraded brake pads - talk to the supplier to find a suitable type - some are mainly for tracking.

I'm personally using EBC red ceramics on my rear and they are better than stock and generate less brake dust. YMMV.

Tires - is so basic, this should be done first if you are still running on stock.

If you are have upgraded power, upgrading braking is a must for safety. For major power upgrades, you should be look at BBKs front and rear, but that will cost.

Sorry OT abit. To all bros that are on ssbh, any brand to recommend? =) feel like changing to try out..=)

Just to point out that Pressure = force / area, not force x area

This formula does not apply in the example you have quoted.

Increasing the number of pistons increases the area of contact between pads and disc, thus increases the friction generated and results in greater energy loss.

3) Piston on brake Calipers
Pressure required to clamp the brake disc to stop the car, and
PRESSURE = FORCE x AREA
Force is constant as it supplied from brake booster. So we can increase the PRESSURE by increasing the AREA figure.
Hence bigger or more piston on brake caliper = improve braking power.

• Praise 1