China's Xiaomi Is Coming ...

Maxus-MIFA9

Turbocharged

Chromebook is not a full laptop, that's why so cheap.

shhhh.... dun tell him... but maybe it suits his need..

I hear the performance a bit laggy

• Praise 1

shhhh.... dun tell him... but maybe it suits his need..

I hear the performance a bit laggy

so evil   [laugh]  [laugh]

i think ipad can do more than the chromebook  [laugh]

Hypersonic

so evil   [laugh]  [laugh]

i think ipad can do more than the chromebook  [laugh]

I go and buy the ipad air 2 refurbished one

Turbocharged
(edited)

now then I know laptop got so cheap one

$240 have already

all the time I thought nearly 1k

http://www.amazon.com/stream/ref=nav_upnav_LargeImage2_Detail

Buy a better laptop can stay relevant for longer la. Lenovo is good.  Not that you cannot afford the bestest. :)

Chromebook is not a full laptop, that's why so cheap.

Chromebook is useless.

Edited by Ingenius

Hypersonic

Buy a better laptop can stay relevant for longer la. Lenovo is good.  Not that you cannot afford the bestest. :)

hehe

today sianz day for me

Twincharged

Pay $100 more get the HP stream. At least its a proper laptop. Not a chromebook. More useful IMO.

Hypersonic

Microsoft sells patents to Xiaomi, builds 'long-term partnership'
Software maker Microsoft Corp is selling about 1,500 of its patents to Chinese device maker Xiaomi , a rare departure for the U.S. company and part of what the two companies say is the start of a long-term partnership.L
The deal, announced on Wednesday (Jun 1), also includes a patent cross-licensing arrangement and a commitment by Xiaomi to install copies of Microsoft software, including Office and Skype, on its phones and tablets.

Both companies declined to discuss financial terms of the deal.

"This is a very big collaboration agreement between the two companies," Wang Xiang, senior vice president at Xiaomi, said by telephone ahead of the deal.

Analysts said Xiaomi's ambitions to be a major player outside China were hampered by weak patent protection and a fear of a prolonged legal battle.

"This deal might just give them enough of a patent trove to move to Western markets," said Sameer Singh, a UK-based analyst. "Their position in China has been under constant attack from even lower-end Android vendors, so moving overseas is now a necessity."

Shipments of Xiaomi phones fell 9 per cent year-on-year in China in the first quarter, according to Strategy Analytics, and its market share dipped to 12 per cent from 13 per cent, squeezed not only by Huawei and Samsung Electronics but also smaller contenders including Oppo and Vivo.

Wang said the acquisition of Microsoft patents, which included voice communications, multimedia and cloud computing, on top of some 3,700 patents the Chinese company filed last year, were "an important step forwards to support our expansion internationally".

Xiaomi launched its first US device earlier this month, a TV set-top box it developed in cooperation with Alphabet Inc's Google, which owns the Android operating system it and most Xiaomi devices run on. Xiaomi has also launched a tablet which runs a version of Microsoft's Windows operating system.

Jonathan Tinter, corporate vice president at Microsoft, said the company was keen to tap into Xiaomi's young, affluent and educated users by having its products pre-installed on their devices. He declined to go into detail about the patent deals, but said the overall deal was something "we do only with a few strategic partners."

Microsoft has cut licensing deals with many Android device makers over the years, but has had less luck with Chinese manufacturers.

Florian Mueller, a patents expert who consulted for Microsoft in the past, said it was rare for Microsoft to actually sell its patents, adding "it's possible Microsoft found it easier to impose its Android patent tax on Xiaomi as part of a broader deal that also involved a transfer of patents".

- Reuters

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/microsoft-sells-patents/2834840.html

Was looking into the new Redmi, and one feature I was looking out for is if in dual SIM mode, does the secondary SIM card support 3G. 

Redmi Note has just been release, spec looks good. But in the chinese description, it seems that the secondary support 3G. My mandarin is not too good., so please correct me if I interpret it worngly.

支持移动、联通、电信4G / 3G / 2G,支持带内载波聚合的4G+网络。
当主卡为电信、联通4G时,副卡支持联通3G网络语音电话。
2张电信卡无法同时使用:同时使用时一张卡可使用 4G 网络,另一张卡将不能注册网络。​

Full spec here

http://www.mi.com/redminote4/specs/

• Praise 1

Xiaomi's new store in Singapore looks to be a huge missed opportunity
M. Shazni
Vulcan Post
Tuesday, Oct 11, 2016

20161011_850_xiaomistore_xiaomi.jpg
20161011_850_xiaomistore_xiaomi.jpg?itok
20161011_850_xiaomistore_xiaomi.jpg?itok
Photo: Mi Singapore

The ever-present Chinese tech manufacturer Xiaomi has fallen behind recently with the onslaught of fellow Chinese companies like Oppo and Huawei gaining momentum both in China and internationally.

Even so, they have been releasing a whole host of innovative products to captivate the masses, from drones, laptops, and now even a mirrorless camera.

As part of plans to create a more tangible experience for their customers, Xiaomi CEO Lei Jun has laid out a plan which will see the company set up some 1,000 retail stores before the end of 2020. This is a stark contrast to their existing business model in which they prioritise online sales.

It looks like one of those stores has arrived, and it is in Singapore.

Suntec City is the place to be

On Friday afternoon, after much teasing on social media, Xiaomi officially unveiled their new flagship store in Singapore.

Located in Suntec City, this marks the first time that Xiaomi has opened a full fledged retail store outside of China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

1899_1476157609.jpg

This is a move that may potentially hint of grander plans to open more international stores.

The Singapore store is not 100 per cent run by Xiaomi though, and is a product of a collaborative effort with Singapore's current go-to tech e-commerce site Lazada, which will manage the sales.

What can you buy there?

In it, you can find the the full range of smartphones available which you can also find from Mi Singapore's online store. Get a hands-on experience of the flagship Mi 5, Mi Max, right down to the affordable Redmis, before making your purchases on the spot.

Of course, there's the familiar and hugely popular powerbanks too, with the latest Pro models that incorporate USB C charging also for sale.

Other accessories which you can find here also include the Mi Band 2, if you are looking for an affordable fitness tracker; several models of their earphones, bluetooth speakers, backpacks, and even luggages for your holiday needs.

If you want to watch your weight, they have a weighing scale for sale too.

What you can't buy there

All the stuff on sale so far are great and all, but what Mi fans internationally are really yearning for are the cool products that is usually reserved for sale in China.

Products such as the Mi Drones, Notebook Air, 4K Mi TVs, even Mi rice cookers were all on display for users to get a feel of, but down below comes a pasted tag which reads in bold "NOT FOR SALE".

1899_1476157634.jpg

A pity, and a missed opportunity, if you asked me.

Limited units should have been made available, or if not, have a process for pre-orders in small quantities, in order to 'test the market'.

To be honest, people are already quite bored with Mi phones and powerbanks, and for those who want one - chances are they already own one.

The reality is, there is demand for these products, and Singaporeans have even been importing them in through online channels, or even purchase them during trips to China or Hong Kong.

If Xiaomi truly wants to trump Oppo and Huawei, they must look beyond just stocking their smartphones, and with their inventory of exciting products they certainly have the means to do so.