M'sian SPR do not want SGP citizenship.

Ah_Zai

Any bros here read this in Shinmin today?

A quick summary:

A survey by the Malaysian press revealed that 87% of the Malaysian respondents who have worked or currently working in Singapore do not have plans to get SGP citizenship. Their objective of working in Singapore is to earn Sing dollar.

Some respondents cited their love for Malaysia, the cost of living in Singapore, and strict Housing policies as some of the reasons for not getting SGP citizenship. While some expressed interest to get SPR to remain in Singapore for further development.

I'm unsure what are your thoughts on this. I am also sure some bros here are M'sians with SPR. But I am just sharing my personal observations. I know M'sian colleagues holding SPR for at least a decade but they are not converting, thanks to PAP gahment policies of not having clear distinctive benefits between SGP citizens and SPR holders. It was probably only after GE, and the 2 By-Elections, the gahment finally recognises this ground unhappiness and began drawing up the divide between SGP citizens and non-citizens. There's also a sore point of the first gen SPR who were not required to serve NS..

What puzzles me is that some of these Malaysian colleagues are actively volunteering in local grassroots (I'm avoiding the word politics as it is a strong word) and their town councils but I always wondered to myself why? (clue: not whites) They can't even vote. I'm not going to say more otherwise I'm sure RadX is going to hantam me. [whip]

Are there time-limits for conversion of SPR holders - let's say - if you did not convert to SGP citizenship within X number of years, your SPR gets revoked?

I wonder how will the survey results be, if it was conducted in Singapore by the Singapore press.

(P.S, I heard that the morally-corrupted former district judge Tey Shun Hang & NUS law lecturer is a Malaysian, holding SPR. Do we need a Malaysian to be our judge? Singapore Legal Service better re-think. )

Source of image: Shinmin Daily News, print edition (5 January 2014):
ZUaFQgP.jpg

Edited by Ah_Zai
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

They get the best from both countries.. why bother to change to Singapore citizenship?

Exactly, except for the need to apply for a few visas, they have the best of both worlds.

Others applied for singapore passports for the convenience and go back home once they have found their gold here. (I remembered once a Brazilian footballer who did that..cant remember his name though).

We can only think of clearing tables at hawker centres or work in fast food restaurants when we grow old.

Edited by Buckrogers
  • Praise 4

87% is crap lah! Mostly likely those they interviewed are the low qual chinese ed ones. Good education(at least compared to the national school in my) is the biggest motivation factor to get sg citizenship(at least one of the parent)

If I were in their shoes I would do exactly the same.

Wont you ?

Actually, not only Malaysian, most of the PRs from countries where the cost of living is not high with good exchange rates don't want SGP Citizenship.

• Praise 3

This is a poorly done study IMO. How many of the interviewed are grads & non-grads earning how much to how much a year?

There are kitchen helpers who had been working here for a decade and earn less dan $2K a month(basic pay).

Somemore the interview is done casually using FB and phone calls. If they want to show ppl stats at least do a proper survey. This one is not even convincing.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

This is a poorly done study IMO. How many of the interviewed are grads & non-grads earning how much to how much a year?

There are kitchen helpers who had been working here for a decade and earn less dan $2K a month(basic pay).

Somemore the interview is done casually using FB and phone calls. If they want to show ppl stats at least do a proper survey. This one is not even convincing.

I dun think the result would be much different actually. If they have family, relative and strong bond back in Malaysia, many would prefer not to stay. Those with parents who came and kids growing up here, chance that they will stay are higher, cos they have lost the bond with people (if any left) in the kampong.

• Praise 2

87% is crap lah! Mostly likely those they interviewed are the low qual chinese ed ones. Good education(at least compared to the national school in my) is the biggest motivation factor to get sg citizenship(at least one of the parent)

+1

Its no surprise. Its SOP for MY spr here. Grass roots v is just for mileage to accumulate mileage points. Just like parents who do volunteer work for schools.

I would so the same if I were them. At a min, its auto x 2.5 OT rate.

• Praise 1

I dun think the result would be much different actually. If they have family, relative and strong bond back in Malaysia, many would prefer not to stay. Those with parents who came and kids growing up here, chance that they will stay are higher, cos they have lost the bond with people (if any left) in the kampong.

Teochew lang got one saying, wherever is cool or is breezy wherever these ppl will go there and sit.

• Praise 2

For the more atas ones perhaps. Like that reap the benefits of both sides. Key word here is 1 parent. Both would be closing off their back door which most such families/parents will not.

For married couples, normally they will stay as one citizen and one PR. This is the best of both world, especially since the ruling for primary school entrance has greatly favored the citizen over the PR. Darryn should know.

And they can buy malaysia property below MYR$1mil, and pump 95 petrol.

• Praise 2

For married couples, normally they will stay as one citizen and one PR. This is the best of both world, especially since the ruling for primary school entrance has greatly favored the citizen over the PR. Darryn should know.

cannot pump 95 for Singapore car plate regardless of your passport lah.

• Praise 1

They get the best from both countries.. why bother to change to Singapore citizenship?

Correct, if i were Malaysian, i wouldnt convert to SGP citizenship either.

Thats why i always say, Malaysians working in SGP has the best of both worlds.

Good SGD income, and an eject button to go back to Malaysia, just in case.

• Praise 5

Right.. base on car plate.

Can show MYKad, not only for discounts, but most tourist attractions and parks. Yes, discounts for citizens.

But, not all are interested in MY properties though.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1