HUMAN RIGHTS is bulls**t in the war against drugs.

AhJason

Done!

Indonesia executes foreign drug convicts, Filipina spared
PUBLISHED ON APR 29, 2015
CILACAP, Indonesia - Indonesia early Wednesday executed eight prisoners - seven of them foreigners including two Australians - but spared the life of Filipina Mary Jane Veloso at the 11th hour, local media reported.
Metro TV and the Jakarta Post reported that the convicts, who also included a Brazilian, four Africans and one Indonesian, were put to death by firing squad on the prison island of Nusakambangan near Cilacap in Central Java.
The mass execution cements the hard line on enforcing the death penalty adopted by Indonesian President Joko Widodo when he came to office last July, damaging diplomatic relations with several countries.
One of those executed asked to sit down before being executed, reports said; the condemned are given the choice of standing, sitting or kneeling.
All of the executed reportedly refused blindfolds and sang hymns, among them “Amazing Grace", as they went to their deaths, according to a pastor who was with them.
Indonesia carried out the death sentences in the face of intense international pressure from foreign governments. The move sparked condemnation from Australia and Brazil - both of which had made final, desperate pleas to save their nationals.
"We've carried out the executions," said an Attorney General's Office (AGO) official, talking to the press on condition of anonymity, the Jakarta Post reported.
Suhendro Putro, funeral director with the Javanese Christian Church (GKJ) in Cilacap, said in a messages that the executions were carried out at 12:30 am (1.30 am Singapore time).
Australians Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran, Martin Anderson, reportedly from Ghana, Brazilian Rodrigo Gularte, Indonesian Zainal Abidin, and three Nigerians - Sylvester Obiekwe Nwolise, Raheem Agbaje Salami and Okwudili Oyatanze - were all executed by firing squad.
Their families lit a candle as they watched the procession of cars taking the prisoners to the execution site, the Sydney Morning Herald reported, adding many became hysterical when gunshots rang out a short time later. Rob Buckingham, the husband of Chan’s spiritual adviser Christie Buckingham, said his wife had texted him to say the group met their deaths with dignity. “She told me the eight of them walked out onto the killing field singing songs of praise,”Buckingham told 3AW radio.
The execution of Veloso of the Philippines was reportedly delayed after a woman who allegedly recruited her to act as a drug courier gave herself up to police in the Philippines on Tuesday.
The Jakarta Post reported that the AGO spokesman, Tony Spontana, said Indonesia had agreed to the final requests fielded by two Australian death-row convicts for their bodies to be flown to Australia for burial.
A Cilacap Police officer prayers were said for each person according to their respective religion, the Post said.
"The executions went well, without any disruptions," he said.
The news comes four months after Indonesia executed six convicts, one each from the Netherlands, Brazil, Nigeria, Malawi, Vietnam, and Indonesia by firing squad on Jan 18.
In the hours before the convicts were put to death, there was a flurry of activity as ambulances carried coffins to the island, and relatives made final anguished visits to their loved ones.
Relatives of Myuran Sukumaran and Andrew Chan, the Australian ringleaders of the so-called "Bali Nine" heroin trafficking group, wailed in grief as they headed to the island, and one relative collapsed amid a huge scrum of journalists.
"I am asking the government not to kill him. Call off the execution. Please don't take my son," said Sukumaran's mother Raji, in a tearful plea after visiting him, AFP reported.
Chan, who like Sukumaran is in his 30s, married his Indonesian girlfriend in a jailhouse ceremony with family and friends on Nusakambangan on Monday, his final wish.
The news of the temporary reprieve for Veloso, who claims she was duped into smuggling drugs into Indonesia by international drugs syndicates, comes after a huge campaign to save her in the Philippines. President Benigno Aquino had urged Widodo on the sidelines of a summit this week to grant her clemency, AFP noted.
Australia also mounted a sustained campaign to save its citizens, who have been on death row for almost a decade. Ahead of the executions, Foreign Minister Julie Bishop Tuesday criticised Indonesia's "chaotic" handling of the execution arrangements.
The families "do deserve respect and they do deserve to have dignity shown to them at this time of unspeakable grief", she told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
In Sydney late Tuesday about 300 supporters of the Australian pair held a vigil, with several people displaying signs calling for the Indonesian president to show mercy.
The execution of the Brazilian convict, Rodrigo Gularte, sparked criticism in his homeland, with his family saying he should not face the firing squad as he has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. The south American country is now considering what further action it will take after already recalling its ambassador to Jakarta over the execution of another prisoner in January.
A Frenchman was originally among the group set to be executed but was granted a temporary reprieve after authorities agreed to allow an outstanding legal appeal to run its course.
Australia said it was recalling its ambassador to Jakarta. Both Australia and Brazil oppose capital punishment and have railed against Widodo’s move to step up the pace of executions, after a five-year moratorium, since coming to office last July.

↡ Advertisement

We must respect the law of the land, some law may sound crazy to others but if you choose to enter that place we must obey and respect it.

Edited by Bacteria83
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged

This indo president Jokowi is the no nonsense type.. He has balls, and has no qualms about showing who's boss..

Even his Jakarta Governor successor (Ahok) is of similar type. Tiagong he recently refuse a USD 500k bribe from some big shot.

Edited by Shull

Hypersonic

This indo president Jokowi is the no nonsense type.. He has balls, and has no qualms about showing who's boss..

Even his Jakarta Governor successor (Ahok) is of similar type. Tiagong he recently refuse a USD 500k bribe from some big shot.

Let's hope it's not because he think 500k too little [sweatdrop]

I bet this is a relief for Tony Abbott and Julie Bishop. For as long as the two convicts weren't executed, they had to keep their act up. Now they can stand down and say they've done everything they could, and get on with actual business of government.

Edited by Alheych
  • Praise 3

2 bad these blokes messed up and got farked for it.

Then again, I cannot comprehend why people herald them as heroes and spoke like they died as martyrs. For fark sake, they destroyed many lives! If they hadn't been caught, do u think they would have repented living well on ill gotten gains?

We must respect the law of the land, some law may sound crazy to others but if you choose to enter that place we must obey and respect it.

Will he also appeal the below? it is all about politics lah.... he can't step down or he will be seen as weak.

Indonesia once intervened to save maid from execution in Saudi Arabia

April 27, 2015 4:12pm

6594 98 0 7185

The Indonesian government, currently under international pressure to spare eight foreigners, including a Filipino, from the death sentence, is no stranger to making appeals on behalf of a citizen facing execution overseas.

Last year, Indonesian officials found themselves scrambling to save the life of Satinah Binti Jumadi Ahmad, an Indonesian maid sentenced to death in Saudi Arabia for killing and robbing her Saudi Arabian employer.

According to a report on CNN, Ahmad was sentenced to death in 2011 after she reportedly admitted to killing her 70-year-old female employer and stealing approximately $10,000, allegedly in self defense.

The same report said the execution was initially scheduled for August 2011 but was postponed five times due to the intervention of the Indonesian government.

But in April 2014, the execution was set aside altogether, after the Indonesian government announced that it would pay the seven million Saudi riyals ($1.8 million) asked for by the family of Ahmads employers as blood money.

More from: http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/477170/pinoyabroad/worldfeatures/indonesia-once-intervened-to-save-maid-from-execution-in-saudi-arabia

• Praise 1

I bet this is a relief for Tony Abbott and Julie Bishop. For as long as the two convicts weren't executed, they had to keep their act up. Now they can stand down and say they've done everything they could, and get on with actual business of government.

Actually, what happened is government. A conversation point to be manipulated for present and future purposes. International politics is ever so interesting.

I buay song then pull ambassador, but anyone notice the trade commission is still active. Save some national expense to run an embassy. A Shakespearean Act with prudent financial budgeting.

My prof was a US Marine who fought at Pusan, all the way up and down the Korean peninsula. He claimed that he was lucky to be teaching us. Sobering ain't it?

Anyone remember the Bosnian Herzegovina tragedy?

Seems every European nation was scratching , hem and hawing while people were dying senselessly.

For what purpose? Human rights?

As South East Asians, we can only shake head and hope that ASEAN does not emulate NATO if we ever have this type of horrid event.

The BH international politicking is and was a permanent head damage event.

Edited by Super366

Yeah it matters - it's not just an academic study -

You need to understand what you are doing right to improve upon it.

Let's say, for example - that death penalty made no difference at all in drug trafficking - would you still support it?

On the other hand, let's say that Death Penalty is 90% of the reason why not much trafficking, would that encourage more places to implement and would it mean that more resources could be diverted away from trafficking towards, say, domestic violence?

I think domestic violence should not be discussed in public

and just kept at home.

If anyone violently disagrees with me

my wife beats me and really hard.

:D

• Praise 1

USD 500k bribe?

What an insult.

They should know who they are dealing with.

• Praise 1

The executions in Indonesia will affect Australians going there.

I won't be surprised if no Australians ever go to Indonesia again

and traffic drugs.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

For fark sake, they destroyed many lives!

This is one statement that many parrot and it really bothers the s h i t outta me.

When will people learn to take responsibility for their own actions? Availability of drugs doesn't mean one should take it. It is really similar to pushing the blame on Phillip Morris for making you a smoker. Or blaming McD for making you fat. People have a choice for goodness sake :ph34r:

• Praise 2

This article captures succinctly my sentiments:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/australia/68170656/australian-advocacy-ruined-argument-for-bali-9-reprieve

Some of those believing that an exception should be made in favour of the Australians suggested that the sentence was in some way vitiated by the corruption of the Indonesian justice system, or, perhaps, even doubt about their guilt. I have no doubt that there are corrupt cops, judges, politicians and officials in Indonesia (I am not entirely sure they exist at a higher rate than in Australia). But my understanding is that there was never any doubt that both men were involved at an organisational level in drug distribution. And is it not, indeed, well known that the automatic penalty for trafficking, particularly on a large scale, is death? If, thus, corruption and improper bargaining and potential bribery were involved, it was not about perverting the proper verdict, but dickering about whether some discretion or exception could be made so that the usual standard was not followed.

This is one statement that many parrot and it really bothers the s h i t outta me.

When will people learn to take responsibility for their own actions? Availability of drugs doesn't mean one should take it. It is really similar to pushing the blame on Phillip Morris for making you a smoker. Or blaming McD for making you fat. People have a choice for goodness sake :ph34r:

Recently I have friends asking me to join them drinking Yamazaki 18 years.

I take responsibility coz I'm driving and only drank half a glass.

I was not forced to drink,I drank at my own accord!!!

Ok not really coz the other 3 drinking buddies look scary,with another old man looks threatening

Lol

Edited by Hondacub777

Turbocharged

Recently I have friends asking me to join them drinking Yamazaki 18 years.

I take responsibility coz I'm driving and only drank half a glass.

I was not forced to drink,I drank at my own accord!!!

Lol

Of course. Nobody can force you to if you don't want to. If you decide to and get caught them don't cow peh cow boo.

Anyway f * ck you understand 😂😂😂

Of course. Nobody can force you to if you don't want to. If you decide to and get caught them don't cow peh cow boo.

Anyway f * ck you understand 😂😂😂

Hahahahahahaha

↡ Advertisement