Ysc3

I went for the op in 2014.

Life's good

Tonsils n the nose thing removed

Rhinostimy ha?

now can deepthroat better lo [lipsrsealed]  [lipsrsealed]

:grin:

↡ Advertisement

may i check which brand and model are you all using and which is good? i heard there are some with humidifier?

i am going US next week so may purchase 1 set in US as i heard it will be cheaper over there... any recommendation?

Resmed is probably the most well known brand.

I use a philips dreamstation auto. mine has a humidifier. i don't think it's really required for singapore conditions. But i do put water in when i remember.

one GP advise me to get the cpap machine without gg thru the test as he say the test just cfm my sleep apnea and getting the machine helps more

The sleep study is to give u an objective result, so that u'll be like "wtf i need to get something done".

That's really the point of the sleep study.

I didn't bother with it cos i self diagnosed myself.

Edited by Lala81

i got mine via amazon. Actually shipped to SG. my tubes and such also shipped here. 

By right need a prescription to purchase it in the USA.

But i think can be worked around. 

Best is to buy online and deliver it to you in USA when u go on holiday.

Edited by Lala81

may i check which brand and model are you all using and which is good? i heard there are some with humidifier?

i am going US next week so may purchase 1 set in US as i heard it will be cheaper over there... any recommendation?

Remember to bring along your prescription if you buy it in the US. For US export out via mail, they will skip checking the prescription.

Resmed vs Respironics <- can't go wrong with either but you might want to take note of the different models, although same main model codes; for eg: Resmed S9 autoset vs Resmed S9 elite; both same S9 but with slightly different function. S10 is the current updated model though.

Currently using the Resmed S9 Autoset at home; clocked about 10,000hrs+ without any failure. I would say its a pretty good machine. I also have the Philips Dreamstation Go for my travels - Newer model that comes with bluetooth link to mobile phone to track sleep results. Did not get the humidifer for both machines, as our weather is quite humid, but i would recommend it if you always frequent places with low humidity, else your nose will be quite dry during sleep.

Mask (i use a Resmed Mirage FX), i just buy from SGH. They have a slight discount vs if you buy direct from the retailer/distributor. I tried buying online once from US, realised the fit is different from the ones i have locally. Not sure if the mask was designed more for an asian fit though.

Edited by Hyper_rev
  • Praise 2

whats the diff btw cpap and apap? which 1 better or more suitable?

i think u are confused.

There's only cpap vs bipap (which is not what we need)

It's auto cpap vs non-auto cpap. Nowadays all model should be auto lah.

If u are starting out with cpap, i find the "ramp" effect very useful.

It basically allows a lower pressure for 20mins while u try to get used to it before falling asleep, before it ramps up.

But once u are used to it, then no need to do such things. For philips dreamstation auto, it's just a button. But i hardly use it now. But invaluable for the 1st 2 months.

Twincharged

I went through the whole shebang, wired up like Darth Vader/ robocop and spent a night in the hospital. Surprisingly I managed to sleep through the night.

I did mine in CGH ... thought I did not [sleeping] but the nurse said I did and they managed to get their readings.

really very jialat when you need to go to the toilet ... [dizzy]  [sweatdrop]

mine was about $400 for one night ... but paid by insurance.

Supercharged

I did mine in CGH ... thought I did not [sleeping] but the nurse said I did and they managed to get their readings.

really very jialat when you need to go to the toilet ... [dizzy][sweatdrop]

mine was about $400 for one night ... but paid by insurance.

mine was two male nurses, that's why I sleep very well

Remember to bring along your prescription if you buy it in the US. For US export out via mail, they will skip checking the prescription.

Resmed vs Respironics <- can't go wrong with either but you might want to take note of the different models, although same main model codes; for eg: Resmed S9 autoset vs Resmed S9 elite; both same S9 but with slightly different function. S10 is the current updated model though.

Currently using the Resmed S9 Autoset at home; clocked about 10,000hrs+ without any failure. I would say its a pretty good machine. I also have the Philips Dreamstation Go for my travels - Newer model that comes with bluetooth link to mobile phone to track sleep results. Did not get the humidifer for both machines, as our weather is quite humid, but i would recommend it if you always frequent places with low humidity, else your nose will be quite dry during sleep.

Mask (i use a Resmed Mirage FX), i just buy from SGH. They have a slight discount vs if you buy direct from the retailer/distributor. I tried buying online once from US, realised the fit is different from the ones i have locally. Not sure if the mask was designed more for an asian fit though.

do you use a standard or a small for the mirage FX?

The design is almost identical as my Philips wisp. Minimalist is the way to go.

Edited by Lala81

do you use a standard or a small for the mirage FX?

The design is almost identical as my Philips wisp. Minimalist is the way to go.

I use a standard, and i know there is a wide size available for people with bigger nose. I started with this, and also bought a full mask (Resmed Quattro Air)- in event of days which i have flu (but i hated the design cos its tougher to put it on).

Forgot to add in one of my recent experience.

I recently bought like 8 CPAP Tubing Hose and filters from a US website; upon reaching SG, I was asked to get approval from HSA for the import of "Medical Equipment". Bought so many times no issue, this was a first. Filled in lots of forms, have to photocopy IC and send prescription letter to them. Ding dong here and there, gave up and called the officer in charge. Finally got approval.

This was my first time thru Fedex. Previously thru DHL no such issues.

I use a standard, and i know there is a wide size available for people with bigger nose. I started with this, and also bought a full mask (Resmed Quattro Air)- in event of days which i have flu (but i hated the design cos its tougher to put it on).

are the tubes interchangeable between philips and resmed

are the tubes interchangeable between philips and resmed

Between the Resmed S9 and Philips Dreamstation Go; the tubing are the same. You can use the 22mm version, but you have to adjust the setting in the Philips machine to tell that you're using a 22mm, cos they also allow a 15mm tube as well.

This will apply for those non-heated machine. For those who uses a heated machine, i would advise going with the default heated tube supplied.

For the newer Resmed S10, i'm not sure as i haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. Still deciding between the S10 vs the Dreamstation.

Between the Resmed S9 and Philips Dreamstation Go; the tubing are the same. You can use the 22mm version, but you have to adjust the setting in the Philips machine to tell that you're using a 22mm, cos they also allow a 15mm tube as well.

This will apply for those non-heated machine. For those who uses a heated machine, i would advise going with the default heated tube supplied.

For the newer Resmed S10, i'm not sure as i haven't had a chance to play around with it yet. Still deciding between the S10 vs the Dreamstation.

can't go wrong with either. U usually mail order or buy when in states.

can't go wrong with either. U usually mail order or buy when in states.

I usually do mail order for all my stuff, cos for CPAP, have to hand carry, open up in front of TSA and go thru security like a laptop if in the states. I was told you have to hand carry it thru in the states, including your prescription letter, too much hassle for me. I normally dump it in my check-in bag.

I used to have a bad experience with the Respironics DS560 but that was an older model. S9 was a workhorse, hence i became a Resmed supporter, but i heard the S10 wasn't very well received. My Dreamstation Go was a bliss though. Hence still on the bench for either brand.

I usually do mail order for all my stuff, cos for CPAP, have to hand carry, open up in front of TSA and go thru security like a laptop if in the states. I was told you have to hand carry it thru in the states, including your prescription letter, too much hassle for me. I normally dump it in my check-in bag.

I used to have a bad experience with the Respironics DS560 but that was an older model. S9 was a workhorse, hence i became a Resmed supporter, but i heard the S10 wasn't very well received. My Dreamstation Go was a bliss though. Hence still on the bench for either brand.

haha when u do decide, let us know. I will go with whichever is the cheapest. 

I actually bought OEM replacement tubes at the start cos i thought they get spoilt easily.

But my stock philips one has been in use since day 1. Still no leaks. 

And supposedly the wisp mask frame can break easily which was another complaint by the angmohs. 

But almost 19months of daily usage, both items still going strong...

I don't bother using filters also.

↡ Advertisement