Temper of mileage

Sallyril

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys

I traded in my 2 yr 10 month old car last Tuesday and bought a 4 year 2 month old car from a car dealer licated on the 4th floor of AML. My old car has a mileage of over 180 000km. Recently saw my old car being posted with a description "Low Mileage". What is the ethical thing to do here?

And if they really temper with mileage, then I could assume the car I bought from them having a mileage of over 85 000km could be false. But I am happy with my ride at the moment but do not want potential buyers to be cheated this way. Should i just move on or do something abt this?

Edited by Sallyril
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

you can assume 10/10 used car mileage is tempered unless you know the car history personally including pre-check service record from AD especially car near 3 years warranty expired or just expired ... nego with the dealer to send to AD for pre-check or last oil change service to verify the mileage

• Praise 1

Immpressive. 60k per year.

Should paste the agency name if u still keep the service record of yr car.

Edited by Mcf777
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Immpressive. 60k per year.

Should paste the agency name if u still keep the service record of yr car.

Sorry Sorry. I meant COE left with 2 years 10 months. And I bought a car with COE left of 4 years 2 months.

Hi guys

I traded in my 7yr 2month old car last Tuesday and bought a 5 year 10 month old from a car dealer located on the 4th floor of AML. My old car has a mileage of over 180 000km. Recently saw my old car being posted with a description "Low Mileage". What is the ethical thing to do here?

And if they really temper with mileage, then I could assume the car I bought from them having a mileage of over 85 000km could be false. But I am happy with my ride at the moment but do not want potential buyers to be cheated this way. Should i just move on or do something abt this?

Low mileage car does not mean problem free...many owners also does not mean car have problems...

More of 2 or more owners car in better conditions than 1 owner car....

• Praise 1

Low mileage car does not mean problem free...many owners also does not mean car have problems...

More of 2 or more owners car in better conditions than 1 owner car....

I agree with this.

It could be the car has low mileage because the old owner is damn dulan with the problematic car and decided to keep in the garage and then sell off. =p

Best is to get an avg and believable mileage car with matching service records from AD (Got a 3 year old car at 60K km 1mth ago. So far so good =p )

Edited by Ruzmidah
  • Praise 1

Unethical but there is nothing much one can do to stop this practice from happening. Just take "low mileage" car u r given with a pinch of salt. The second hand car I got was adjusted by minus 40k kms.

• Praise 1

I think your assumption too low and insulting to the dealers. Should be above 10/10, some car mileage tampered with twice or more.

you can assume 10/10 used car mileage is tempered

Edited by Celicar
  • Praise 1

I think your assumption too low and insulting to the dealers. Should be above 10/10, some car mileage tampered with twice or more.

Oh ya....every change of ownership, there is bound to have at least 30K to 60K of turn back the clock each time.

so you really believe you bought a car with 85k mileage??

welcome to Singapore...

just move on, you sold your car to them and the responsibility is on them now. No point opening up a can of worms.

• Praise 1

unethical but not illegal, hence dont think will help much. And if 11 outta 10 do this, its pointless.

On a side note, wonder if its possible to "hack" the clock to "improve" the FC? Coz I have come accross people in person speaking of FC that really is quite impossible to me.

I traded in my 2 yr 10 month old car last Tuesday and bought a 4 year 2 month old car from a car dealer licated on the 4th floor of AML. My old car has a mileage of over 180 000km

Are u in sales? My 9yrs old bimmer now clocked 109k km only. Would consider renew COE if not for the high COE now

• Praise 1

Twincharged

When buying second hand car, don't think so much about the mileage. Just get a trusted mechanic to go along and help you check the car's condition better.

Low mileage also doesn't mean it will be in a better condition than a high mileage car. My aunt has a car but rarely drive cuz she usually takes her husband's car. After 3 years mileage only 10K. But she never even send for servicing at all. Her mentality is no need send for servicing until there is a problem with the car.

Edited by Nzy
  • Praise 1

When buying second hand car, don't think so much about the mileage. Just get a trusted mechanic to go along and help you check the car's condition better.

Low mileage also doesn't mean it will be in a better condition than a high mileage car. My aunt has a car but rarely drive cuz she usually takes her husband's car. After 3 years mileage only 10K. But she never even send for servicing at all. Her mentality is no need send for servicing until there is a problem with the car.

And yet car dealers always like to write "Lady driver"in their ads. I wonder why.....lady driver more caring?

Everytime I read that,, I will avoid considering the car.

• Praise 1

And yet car dealers always like to write "Lady driver"in their ads. I wonder why.....lady driver more caring?

Everytime I read that,, I will avoid considering the car.

ladies dont even know there are air in the tyres.....

• Praise 1

I keep harping about this ... this is illegal and noone is doing anything about it! I blame the used car Association and LTA. The simple answer practiced in some of the developed countries is when we renew road tax we must report the mileage ... simple as that!

• Praise 2

The law in Singapore does not govern tampering of mileage.

The only thing that potential buyer should do is to just check with AD for previous record. If there aren't, go with your gut feel about the car.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1