Budget Mid-size SUV, Please Advise (Poll)

Quantum

Budget Mid-size SUV  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Budget Mid-size SUV

• Honda CRV
    • Toyota RAV4
    • Mazda CX-5
    • Subaru Forester 2.0XT
    • Hyundai Santa Fe
    • Hyundai Tucson

Turbocharged

Probably pays to ask - WHY an SUV...what do you expect the car to do, and what do you want to use it for?

to drive thru once in 50yrs water ponding

↡ Advertisement

May I also add that massive broad torque from the TD will be great for AWD.

I test drove the sorento diesel b4. Though on paper it says 436Nm, it didn't feel as torquey as the figs might suggest. I mean it was ok and not sluggish like most SUVs but its not exactly fleet footed either. My previous T5 had 320Nm and it realli pulls. Of course cannot compare due to the weight differences but I guess wif the Sorento's weight, it's pretty decent for a large SUV.

For your budget of up to $200k, I will get the Kia Sorento 2.2CRDi.

I know this is not mid size but the price is similar to some of the Japanese car you listed.

• Praise 1

I test drove the sorento diesel b4. Though on paper it says 436Nm, it didn't feel as torquey as the figs might suggest. I mean it was ok and not sluggish like most SUVs but its not exactly fleet footed either. My previous T5 had 320Nm and it realli pulls. Of course cannot compare due to the weight differences but I guess wif the Sorento's weight, it's pretty decent for a large SUV.

Was ur T5 on dct?

The link you posted has nothing about forester safety. Can you share which safety features of the forester that you liked?

Not sure about the subaru eyesight system and whether sg forester version has it. Cx-5 here has the smart city brake feature.

I suspect Forester's FC will be poor. Not sure why you feel Mazda is weak compared to Honda for reputation and reliability. I have had 3 Mazdas before, no issue at all with reliability. As for reputation, granted Honda probably has a better reputation. But my feeling is that Mazda is the one Jap brand that is usually under-appreciated.

Agree....

Simi dct? Sound like a niteclub drug lei.......

haha....automated manual ..... as Volvo is called power shift ?

Just realised awd is one of your requirements. Sorry, i'm only looking at 2wd petrol cars cos no need awd.

For AD cars, CX-5 is only available in awd for diesel version, which you don't want.

I think the CRVs are all 2wd versions.

Cx5 diesel version is only 2.5, 2.0 is petrol version
  • Praise 1

I think X trail no more on sale locally. Murano old model already.

Murano is nice though - I would think its bigger than both the CX-5 and the Forester. If cannot stretch to the 3.5 the black-line would do most of what the OP wants - and still be ok for the occasional ponding where the issue is more ground clearance than anything else.

As mentioned, personally I would stay away from the Koreans - think the money would be much better spent on a Jap.

If ground clearance (for flooding) is what you are after, then would go for the CX-5, the forester will have a lower C-G, so in that sense should be safer handling.

(edited)

I think X trail no more on sale locally. Murano old model already.

What is the FC of X-trail and Murano,

in my impression, Nissan FC is very jialah, I was sunny ex-owner

I was driving Nissan Patrol 4.8L during my Mid-east staying, FC only 5km/L [sweatdrop] ,

Mid-east petrol cheap (S$0.4/L), don't mind FC, but in Singapore cannot tahan [grin]

Edited by Quantum