Budget Mid-size SUV, Please Advise (Poll)

Quantum

Budget Mid-size SUV  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Budget Mid-size SUV

• Honda CRV
    • Toyota RAV4
    • Mazda CX-5
    • Subaru Forester 2.0XT
    • Hyundai Santa Fe
    • Hyundai Tucson

To the OP, I think the Mazda is a wonderful brand, very reliable and always a fun car to drive.

-HH-

Agreed!

↡ Advertisement

Have/had 2 crossovers before till my current ride, a 2010 Tiguan, and here's my opinion of all three:

2005 Hyundai Tucson:

Not bad for a Kimchi, reliable car and had very little problems, fc about 7.5 - 8.5 km per litre. But when it rains, water splashes from front wheels into front windscreen - design problem but very scary. Dunno if they have fixed this problem on their new model. 150,000km. A lot of gimmicks - Seats can turn into bed, rear window hatch, etc... Kudos to the Koreans.

2007 Mazda CX7:

Great comfort and powerful, feel very luxurious and nice design too, still like the looks even until now. FC about 7 - 8 km per litre. Loved this car very much but a few reliability issues such as fuel injectors, driver's side window noisy when winding up and down, transaxle knocking sound - but I had this car until 240,000km. Fun to drive but a bit unnerving when on winding roads at high speeds, probably due to the slightly comfy suspension set-up. Turbo was great but runs out of puff at about 140kph. And the most spacious.

2010 VW Tiguan:

This one super solid, GTI of SUV's, quick and nimble on most roads and you still feel planted. Although the Mazda was rated 240bhp 350nm against Tiguan's 200bhp 280nm, I feel the VW's faster, maybe because of the weight difference. FC about 8 - 9 km per litre - can be better with a lighter foot. More mod options but I old liao. No issues with my gearbox cos mine is 6 speed auto. Now at 85,000 km, so far not much issues although a lot of negative flak on VW.

Positive points:

Ride up higher - i like the feeling and can see more around.

Yes, ponding no issues - many times go through with no problems when other cars had to stop aside in heavy rain. and it seems that these past few years it is becoming more frequent, in Singapore and Malaysia.

Can carry more stuff at the back - I need for my work.

Can go through construction sites easily - but always get punctures...

Moonroof, panorama roof - love it when my Grand daughter smiles each time I use it.

Negative points:

Higher fuel consumption compared to sedans - unless you can afford.

Heavier weight.

Higher wind drag when coasting to a stop - noticed this when I drove a Camry for a week, the Camry cruised effortlessly to next traffic light without throttling and consumption was much better. Can consider next time.

Higher maintenance - servicing, tyres, AWD, etc...

Need wider parking space.

I started with smaller hatchbacks before, but I like the ride and feeling of crossovers.

All in, i would still go for a crossover but the higher price of maintenance is a setback, maybe i will look into a Diesel next time. AWD not really necessary as I don't really off-road, anyway most crossovers are not real off-roaders except for some. I think it's just a gimmick to make you want one and spend more. There are others you might want to look into.

Kia Sportage

RAV 4 - If Rav4 had the V6 models in Singapore i would consider.

Suzuki Grand Vitara

(theres a reason why the Rav 4 and Vitara can last so long)

If i'm right you'll probably want to look into something cost effective and reliable, check up the various local car forums and clubs and you'll be able to get a better view of which car to get, although I keep hearing good things about Toyota and Honda reliability ratings.

Just my 2 cents worth... cheers.

• Praise 2

Have/had 2 crossovers before till my current ride, a 2010 Tiguan, and here's my opinion of all three:

2005 Hyundai Tucson:

150,000km.

2007 Mazda CX7:

I had this car until 240,000km.

2010 VW Tiguan:

Although the Mazda was rated 240bhp 350nm against Tiguan's 200bhp 280nm, I feel the VW's faster, Now at 85,000 km,

Just my 2 cents worth... cheers.

Thanks for your comprehensive comments for SUV,

Quite interesting for your past 8 years mileage,

Tucson: 150,000km + Mazda CX7: 240,000km + VW Tiguan: 85,000 km = 475,000 km, if assume all are from new, then your very heavy vehicle user, [:p]

The link you posted has nothing about forester safety. Can you share which safety features of the forester that you liked?

Not sure about the subaru eyesight system and whether sg forester version has it. Cx-5 here has the smart city brake feature.

oh, it's just pieces of news about the finding of IIHS,

Post#1 Source: http://www.straitsti...y-test-20130927

post#2 http://autos.yahoo.c...-040100919.html

Was told subaru eyesight system hasn't come to S'pore shore; only launched in Japan

This may interest you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmCZZ_Ef3Js

at moment, CRV, CX5 and Forester are in list to choose for my ride end 2015

(edited)

oh, it's just pieces of news about the finding of IIHS,

Post#1 Source: http://www.straitsti...y-test-20130927

post#2 http://autos.yahoo.c...-040100919.html

Was told subaru eyesight system hasn't come to S'pore shore; only launched in Japan

This may interest you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmCZZ_Ef3Js

at moment, CRV, CX5 and Forester are in list to choose for my ride end 2015

refer to this link: which is the safest SUV

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/class-summary/small-suvs

Edited by Quantum

Thanks for your comprehensive comments for SUV,

Quite interesting for your past 8 years mileage,

Tucson: 150,000km + Mazda CX7: 240,000km + VW Tiguan: 85,000 km = 475,000 km, if assume all are from new, then your very heavy vehicle user, [:p]

Nope all second hand, usually 1+ to 2+ years old at around 30+k mileage, as I not so rich to buy new car but still enjoy warranty at discounted price...

But yes my usage quite high as I used to work in Jurong/Tuas area but stay in Tampines and need to run around a lot to see clients.

I vote for the Forester … as it is the most Unpretentious SUV on the list … [nod]

but forester's performance is the most pretentious SUV in the list

but forester's performance is the most pretentious SUV in the list

What do you mean by performance? … Off road, Torque, Road Holding, etc…? [confused]

I vote for the Forester only based on my experiences with SUVs … Only my opinion … [nod]

What do you mean by performance? … Off road, Torque, Road Holding, etc…? [confused]

I vote for the Forester only based on my experiences with SUVs … Only my opinion … [nod]

never drove it, cannot comment Off road and holding,

but data sheet shows engine 240bhp & 350N.m, it's brilliant in 2.0L SUV

my 2 cents only [:)]

never drove it, cannot comment Off road and holding,

but data sheet shows engine 240bhp & 350N.m, it's brilliant in 2.0L SUV

my 2 cents only [:)]

The Torque is important when fully loaded … Most SUVs in Sg are under powered (In my opinion only).

The other is the ride height, perfect for getting in and out with ease... (Daughters, GF or Wife no need to expose panties when getting in & out of car) …

Ground clearance is ample on SG roads … Unless you want to do off roading.

AWD is a bonus … Need I say more.

Servicing can be done almost any where … Most workshops can do it.

Easy to park cos its not too big … Some are so big it fits nicely into a lot, but cannot open doors afterwards, "Si Peh Tu Lan".

These options are more important & practical to me in that budget range… only me hor.

thinking a Mid-size SUV as next car, but In current Sky high COE, "Budget" just specified those below S$200k SUV, exclusive Conti version (forget about XC60, X3, Q3/5, FL2....)

never owned a SUV, kindly give advise from SUV owner or ex-owner,

Thanks a lot [:)]

You can always get a rental and see it for yourself. But why an SUV? On sgp roads? Is the SUV trend still on?

Let's face it most SUVs are nowadays mostly design for city driving and very little on off-road driving. How many of us live in a village or a farm?

It's best you go test drive and see which one you like. You can't really get the AWD/4x4 experience unless you apply for the off-road course and bring your car along. Otherwise it's pretty much the same as driving your present sedan or salon car.

When I was in the army I get to go for a one day familiarization off-road course in Mandai camp. It was a long time ago in preparation to drive around during exercise in Aussie. I'm not driver vocation btw, it's just that our unit do not have enough driver at the time. My OC & I got to "self drive" the army land rover. The course is just prep us on how to use the diff lock to engage the 4WD. The terrain we were trained on was quite scary. The trainer was practically holding my steering wheel with his right hand almost throughout the course. Haha...

Anyway to me an SUV must have the following,

1. Diesel engine with reserve tank.

2. differential lock (a switch or a lever to engage high or low diff.)

3. Must be able to get out of a ditch if stuck. Else it will be damn embarrassing for an SUV to be stuck in a ditch.

4. Proper off-road tires.

5. A manual tranny.

It's not practical in sgp and that most are play pretend SUVs with electronic 4wd systems and regular road tires. Hence that's why I say it's a trend but this trend started so long ago that no one remembers. So I find it strange ppl still want to own an SUV today. Aiya get a crossover if you want to look hip. LoL...

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

SUV stands for Sports Utility Vehicles. It is just one of the types of cars we can buy, just a type of design. So it is perfectly ok to buy one and drive in city only. It is perfectly ok to get one simply because you like the design, or ease of getting on-off, or the ride height. There is no need to criticise someone who buys a suv and don't drive off-road or go farming. 2wd or awd is just a feature of a car. It does not mean you cannot get a awd car becos you don't drive in a situation that requires one. People buy sports car and don't bring it to track at all, thats also perfectly ok right? SUV drinks alot of petrol? Why do some people need to buy 6 litres engine cars when 2 litre can do the job?

Just responding to some criticism that people should buy SUV only when they need to do off-road or that sort of things. I would be getting a truck instead in such situation.

You can always get a rental and see it for yourself. But why an SUV? On sgp roads? Is the SUV trend still on?

Let's face it most SUVs are nowadays mostly design for city driving and very little on off-road driving. How many of us live in a village or a farm?

It's best you go test drive and see which one you like. You can't really get the AWD/4x4 experience unless you apply for the off-road course and bring your car along. Otherwise it's pretty much the same as driving your present sedan or salon car.

When I was in the army I get to go for a one day familiarization off-road course in Mandai camp. It was a long time ago in preparation to drive around during exercise in Aussie. I'm not driver vocation btw, it's just that our unit do not have enough driver at the time. My OC & I got to "self drive" the army land rover. The course is just prep us on how to use the diff lock to engage the 4WD. The terrain we were trained on was quite scary. The trainer was practically holding my steering wheel with his right hand almost throughout the course. Haha...

Anyway to me an SUV must have the following,

1. Diesel engine with reserve tank.

2. differential lock (a switch or a lever to engage high or low diff.)

3. Must be able to get out of a ditch if stuck. Else it will be damn embarrassing for an SUV to be stuck in a ditch.

4. Proper off-road tires.

5. A manual tranny.

It's not practical in sgp and that most are play pretend SUVs with electronic 4wd systems and regular road tires. Hence that's why I say it's a trend but this trend started so long ago that no one remembers. So I find it strange ppl still want to own an SUV today. Aiya get a crossover if you want to look hip. LoL...

This is not a diff lock - it is a hi / low transfer case. Allows you to select either "hi" for normal driving, or "low" for super slow speed crawling but very high torque.

A diff lock feeds power equally to either the left and right wheels or the front and back axle (you can get both kinds of diff lock) - this means that both wheels / axles turn at the same speed regardless of traction at different wheels. Is most commonly used for when one wheel may have less traction than another, or when one wheel may be totally off the ground.

SUV stands for Sports Utility Vehicles. It is just one of the types of cars we can buy, just a type of design. So it is perfectly ok to buy one and drive in city only. It is perfectly ok to get one simply because you like the design, or ease of getting on-off, or the ride height. There is no need to criticise someone who buys a suv and don't drive off-road or go farming. 2wd or awd is just a feature of a car. It does not mean you cannot get a awd car becos you don't drive in a situation that requires one. People buy sports car and don't bring it to track at all, thats also perfectly ok right? SUV drinks alot of petrol? Why do some people need to buy 6 litres engine cars when 2 litre can do the job?

Just responding to some criticism that people should buy SUV only when they need to do off-road or that sort of things. I would be getting a truck instead in such situation.

There's many issues with SUVs, and depends on how you look at them...

1. They are wasteful - for eg: a V70 (based on my perception) probably offers more space than an XC50 - it will handle better, be safer etc etc - yet people will choose the XC50 for things like "space" etc

2. They generally are designed for a different purpose than what they are actually used - which to some (me included) makes them "bad"

3. As to sports cars - you don't have to go to track to get benefit, B road driving, regular trips up north etc etc will feel the benefits of sports cars, just the same way you don't need to be doing stuff like appalachian trail to enjoy SUV. But if you buy sports car for supermarket and back then is a bad thing just as SUV that only drives to ORchard road and back is a bad thing.

There's many issues with SUVs, and depends on how you look at them...

1. They are wasteful - for eg: a V70 (based on my perception) probably offers more space than an XC50 - it will handle better, be safer etc etc - yet people will choose the XC50 for things like "space" etc

errrr.....simi got XC50?

↡ Advertisement