New Audi A3 Sedan - "only premium petrol sedan under Cat A"

Glyuen

Neutral Newbie

1. What's with my nick? Now resort to this already? And if there's something wrong with my username in an online forum, wouldn't it say a lot about yours too?

2. Why don't you share how you got the 13xk price for CLA? I have a friend working in C&C sales, price didn't budge, for both CLA180 and 200. $165,888 and $166,888 respectively, haven't include the freebies / perks that are "worth" $8000. Even with overtrade, hard to reach 13xK.

3. I am only sharing what I know so that people don't get misled and make a wasted trip down the showroom. I don't know what you have against me but it's really uncalled for & childish.

Have nice day ^^

I am considering C180 / A3 or Volvo...any SE to recommend or suggestions ?

Recently I read somewhere saying conti cars are very unreliable....currently driving one too , 18 mths to go...am planning to scrap.

how does overtake works , my current car de-registration is  about $ 23.5K

↡ Advertisement

Im driving a jetta sports with 158bhp.. Would the A3 base model be a drive degradation with 3 other passengers ? Im worried with all the downgrades in hp.. More passengers means a weaker drive. Just my humble opinion

Someone to share

Yup, really will fit well in Singapore, wherre the roads are littered the cheapskate contis like the VWs and BMW 3 series. Audi really clever, good business to be made from the badgewhores. This will fit in very nicely. Sg favorite, like to tell ppl they drive BMW/ Merc etc.....only when ask further than you realize, oh, it's the entry lvl version. Everyone says "I drive a BMW" not "I drive a 3 series"

Amazing how sour grapes can be

Amazing how sour grapes can be

Statistics show that at least 80% of all highly judgemental and critical folks in Singapore reside in this MCF forum.

That's why here.. either you buy a non entry level conti (I reckon $200K price tag at least) or a budget Japanese / Korean ride. They either see you up up with the conti or label you as financially prudent with the budget ride. Cannot buy anything in between or you will receive all the angst from these folks.

• Praise 1

Statistics show that at least 80% of all highly judgemental and critical folks in Singapore reside in this MCF forum.

That's why here.. either you buy a non entry level conti (I reckon $200K price tag at least) or a budget Japanese / Korean ride. They either see you up up with the conti or label you as financially prudent with the budget ride. Cannot buy anything in between or you will receive all the angst from these folks.

Reckon this forum is good to understand how some people who actually own one view a car daily usage.. Can't be bother with sour grapes..
  • Praise 1

Im driving a jetta sports with 158bhp.. Would the A3 base model be a drive degradation with 3 other passengers ? Im worried with all the downgrades in hp.. More passengers means a weaker drive. Just my humble opinion

Someone to share

I believe yours is the twin charged? I would say yes.

From my Jetta to my current ride, when driving alone or with wife leisure drive ok. But need more power the feeling of 'powerless' is there..

full load dun say already pickup to overtake and etc no longer there comnpared to the twin charged Jetta. :)

Oh... if you ask me if I regret changing... its a 50/50.

Changed to have a more 'smoother' ride but always missing the umph that I used to get if u get wad I mean.. haha

Edited by KennyLee83
  • Praise 1

I believe yours is the twin charged? I would say yes.

From my Jetta to my current ride, when driving alone or with wife leisure drive ok. But need more power the feeling of 'powerless' is there..

full load dun say already pickup to overtake and etc no longer there comnpared to the twin charged Jetta. :)

Oh... if you ask me if I regret changing... its a 50/50.

Changed to have a more 'smoother' ride but always missing the umph that I used to get if u get wad I mean.. haha

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your insight. I also thought so about the A3. I love the twin-charged rush feeling. Of course with that being said, the smoothness at low gear is not there unlike cvt.

One question about cars without twin charged turbo but 1 with higher bhp the other with lower bhp - does the rush kicks in when you accelerate ?

Hi Kenny,

Thanks for your insight. I also thought so about the A3. I love the twin-charged rush feeling. Of course with that being said, the smoothness at low gear is not there unlike cvt.

One question about cars without twin charged turbo but 1 with higher bhp the other with lower bhp - does the rush kicks in when you accelerate ?

Simply put NO :P

No rush or more like the rush doesn't kick in when you want it or as fast as you want it.

E.g overtaking

On D mode you signal and accel (

Jetta:

power kick in and into other lane and overtaken

Current ride:

halfway into the lane/ overtaking then your power comes in

again all this is from own experience

so with Jetta I more daring to overtake with smaller gaps more zippy

with current ride not so much become more kiasu need bigger gap to switch lanes

No rush or more like the rush doesn't kick in when you want it or as fast as you want it.

E.g overtaking

Jetta:

power kick in and into other lane and overtaken

Current ride:

hi Kenny,

You have been a great help. Thanks at least easier for me to filter out cars now :)

Supersonic

Hi Kenny,

Tink the rush you're referring to is the torque surge when the turbo kicks in.

If u love that feeling, u gotta get a turbo car with at least 200Nm+ or torque. 

• Praise 1

Tink the rush you're referring to is the torque surge when the turbo kicks in.

If u love that feeling, u gotta get a turbo car with at least 200Nm+ or torque. 

Audi A3 is single charged (turbo x1, 200nm of torque) and Jetta Sports is twin charged (turbo and supercharger working in tandem with 240nm of torque). Not sure if 40nm can contribute to such a significant kickback effect.

Also.. if one prefers a more sedated & comfortable drive with an interior that is mouth watering with nice design, good materials and built quality, I think the 40nm of torque is easy to give up. The current gen Jetta, FL or not, the interior is really bad quality.. compared to last gen.

Can try VW Golf 1.4 TSI , price not too ex with the 200Nm torque and turbo charged engine. 

Honestly i feel that on SG roads there are more road hoggers than racers, so if your'e are a fast driver you feel like a hero on haste rune then kena creep block in lane

with this car you can easily over take most 

Supersonic

Excuse me, what kick back effect talking about with 200NM. ..seriously

Aiya....if one is used to driving a wheezy jap NA B&B car, 200Nm can feel diff lah.

wah lioa, very difficult to understand his phd English.

what does he mean by kickback, mouth watering...?

E.g overtaking

Jetta:

power kick in and into other lane and overtaken

Current ride:

In mechanical terms, they are build differently. twin charge cars come with supercharger and turbocharger.

Supercharger helps the car in low rev and give it extra oohm while turbocharger gives it more power at higher rev. Thus, you will feel the power at all power band.

Why supercharger at lower power band and turbocharger at higher power band? Simply because supercharger charge up and spin at lower Rev(around 15k rev to 30k) if I didn't remember wrongly and turbocharger charge up and spin at higher rev(around 80k to 150k rpm)

For new Audi, they only have single charge that's why car feels sluggish until they Turbocharge charge up. Turbocharge takes a longer time to charge up compare to Supercharger because of the higher rev. Of course, comparing a car with Supercharger vs Turbocharger, turbocharger will be able to put out more power.

Excuse me, what kick back effect talking about with 200NM. ..seriously

It depends on power to weight ratio. If the car is only 1000kg, maybe 150NM is enough to pull off the vehicle. But if you give it additional 50NM, you will definitely feel the pulling effect from the engine. Of course, if you compare a car of a Camry size, which also has 200NM of torque, you will feel that car is less power, because the effort to pull the car is the same, but the weight of the car increase. I believe, this is why they say 200NM has the pulling factor, cause for cars like A3, it is only 1.25T of weight.

• Praise 1

Guys... his question is purely on the loss of the 'power' from Jetta (Twin) to Audi ... don't need to bring in interior, Golf and whatnot le...

I'm just giving him my honest opinion as I too so called 'downgraded' from a twin charged...

Supersonic

wah lioa, very difficult to understand his phd English.

what does he mean by kickback, mouth watering...?

Kickback = anything that Najib & his cronies are involved in

Mouth Watering = Melania Trump in a bikini at the front lawn of the White House

↡ Advertisement