• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
133 replies to this topic | 211 praises

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:48 PM

Extremme
  • Premium member
    Extremme
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Guys, I intend to do waxing on my car. I used to do it manually but I thought maybe a handheld wax machine will be handy. Any recommendations?

Peugeot Partner
Honda Jazz
Toyota Wish
Toyota Estima

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:20 PM

Lydiachristopher
  • Premium member
    Lydiachristopher
    3rd Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

If you just using machine to apply wax , you can consider black and decker orbiter, cheap and handy.

If you plan to do proper paint correction, you will need DA polishing machine. But the machine price will be much higher.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

Extremme
  • Premium member
    Extremme
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

If you just using machine to apply wax , you can consider black and decker orbiter, cheap and handy.

If you plan to do proper paint correction, you will need DA polishing machine. But the machine price will be much higher.

Yeah nothing too expensive. What model Do you recommend?

Using a machine as opposed me twirling and twirling manually Will surely save me loads of time ;p
Peugeot Partner
Honda Jazz
Toyota Wish
Toyota Estima

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:41 PM

Lydiachristopher
  • Premium member
    Lydiachristopher
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Yeah nothing too expensive. What model Do you recommend?

Using a machine as opposed me twirling and twirling manually Will surely save me loads of time ;p

Black & decker orbiter only got one model at DIY shop. Last time i bought + . Enough for waxing but you need 230Vac supply.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:47 PM

Extremme
  • Premium member
    Extremme
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Black & decker orbiter only got one model at DIY shop. Last time i bought + . Enough for waxing but you need 230Vac supply.

Thank you. My car park has Wall plugs so it should be fine ;)
Peugeot Partner
Honda Jazz
Toyota Wish
Toyota Estima

Posted 26 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Lydiachristopher
  • Premium member
    Lydiachristopher
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Enjoy your detailing .
Cheers

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:20 PM

Rustyz
  • Premium member
    Rustyz
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Thank you. My car park has Wall plugs so it should be fine ;)

HDB one is round plug different from our square type plug. If is HDB one I doubt can use. my 2 cents of contribution.

If anyone can have it, I don't want it.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:31 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

There's a reason ppl want their cars to be hand waxed.

If you were to use an hand held orbitor you will get swirl marks when the wax wear off after a while. Regardless of what brand you use you will still get the swirl marks.

The trick to applying wax is not difficult or jialat at all.

- Get 2x microfibre cloth.

- dampen 1 x microfibre cloth with water.

- Use it to apply the wax on your car. You will notice that a damp cloth is easier to use to spread the wax evenly on the surface.

- The other microfibre cloth  leave it as it is. Use it to wipe down the car when the wax you had just applied has dried.

The trick to it is using a damp cloth to spread the wax evenly so that you won't see patches of wax after you are done. Same for any other type of wax, even glass wax for your windscreen. Ppl often comprain their wiper will judder after applying the glass wax. What they should do is damp cloth to spread out the wax evenly.

Edited by Watwheels, 26 January 2014 - 10:39 PM.

KR81 and Dswm praised this
The chosen one will bring balance to the Force...I mean Singapore. Even star wars do not reserve "the chosen one" to a sith lord or a jedi or a wookie.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

Lydiachristopher
  • Premium member
    Lydiachristopher
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

There's a reason ppl want their cars to be hand waxed.

If you were to use an hand held orbitor you will get swirl marks when the wax wear off after a while. Regardless of what brand you use you will still get the swirl marks.

The trick to applying wax is not difficult or jialat at all.
- Get 2x microfibre cloth.
- dampen 1 x microfibre cloth with water.
- Use it to apply the wax on your car. You will notice that a damp cloth is easier to use to spread the wax evenly on the surface.
- The other microfibre cloth  leave it as it is. Use it to wipe down the car when the wax you had just applied has dried.

The trick to it is using a damp cloth to spread the wax evenly so that you won't see patches of wax after you are done. Same for any other type of wax, even glass wax for your windscreen. Ppl often comprain their wiper will judder after applying the glass wax. What they should do is damp cloth to spread out the wax evenly.

I agree with you, because i try once using ice water to wipe panel and damped my application pad before apply wax, same also using ice water cooled microfiber tower to remove wax. Great effect and more natural feel.

Posted 27 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

Extremme
  • Premium member
    Extremme
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Thks guys for the advice.
Peugeot Partner
Honda Jazz
Toyota Wish
Toyota Estima

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:56 PM

SonaxSingapore
  • SonaxSingapore
    Sponsor
    Author Image

Before you decide to switch to machine polishing, better check  Does your car is in a neglected paintwork condition? If it is then hand polishing may struggle to eliminate the heavier imperfections and a lot of energy and time would have to be spent to make any form of noticeable difference but if your paintwork is not too heavily inflicted with surface imperfections, hand polishing serves as a safe and effective way to enhance and restore the finish. For easier waxing you may choose from Sonax Polishing Products:

201100_4_3_col16_big_portrait_padded.png

Sonax Brilliant Wax 1 is for new car or newly painted car. It contains wax only.

207200_4_3_col16_big_portrait_padded.png

Paintwork in mint condition, slightly weathered and regularly maintained paintwork are a job for  SONAX XTREME Polish+Wax 2.

202100_4_3_col16_big_portrait_padded.png

Matt, weathered and neglected paintwork requires treatment from  SONAX XTREME Polish+Wax 3. The extremely powerful aluminium oxide polishing components remove weathered paint layers and smoothen out scratches from the carwash installation, finger nails and other usual traces of wear.

KR81 praised this

Posted 26 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

Rachdanom
  • Premium member
    Rachdanom
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Seems like nowadays people don't wax their cars themselves. This detailing thread is all about which protection service to get. Also when I search MCF on DIY related stuff the threads are all around 8 years ago....

I just got a car and my colleagues are teasing me that after 1 month I wont be doing washing and waxing myself anymore. So far I am liking the 1.5hr or so of exercise a week.

Anyone still DIYing? Just wondering what proportion still are...
Richardlim31 praised this

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:51 AM

Blackyv
  • Premium member
    Blackyv
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I don't even wash my current car, don't talk about waxing.. and nope, didn't do any coating too.. hehehhe....

Getting my new car soon and I guess the most I will wash diligently for first mths and after that, most likely car wash is a quarterly affair...:XD:

Posted 27 June 2016 - 06:54 AM

RadX
  • Premium member
    RadX

Seems like nowadays people don't wax their cars themselves. This detailing thread is all about which protection service to get. Also when I search MCF on DIY related stuff the threads are all around 8 years ago....

I just got a car and my colleagues are teasing me that after 1 month I wont be doing washing and waxing myself anymore. So far I am liking the 1.5hr or so of exercise a week.

in future, SEARCH.  Merged here with ANOTHER DIY waxing thread

you could have asked your question here instead of DUPLICATING a thread

in future you will get a warning

thank  you!

RESPECT is only for the DEAD!

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:26 AM

Blueray
  • Blueray
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

am waxing my car every 2 - 3 months.

using Armor All Butter Smooth Wax.

also a form of exercise.  [:)]

Axeman24 and Richardlim31 praised this
"old dog, new tricks ..."

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:49 AM

Tinytok
  • Premium member
    Tinytok
    1st Gear
    Author Image

Am not waxing as pps done. Wash new car weekly. Exterior only 1hr plus. With interior , around 2.5hr. Armourall car wash n the rest the usual meguiar products.

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:27 AM

Maddriver
  • Premium member
    Maddriver
    Sponsor
    Author Image

There used to be a group of hardcore DIY kakis back in 2006..Those days we spend almost 6-7 hours every sunday to meet for DIY. Most are busy with kids now but occasionally they do meet me to grab some quick detailer or wax. [;)]

WebsiteDuragloss Car Care products
WebsiteOptimum Car Care products

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

Mason016
  • Mason016
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I still do it.  Spend about 3 hours.  Wash tyres, rims.  Wash car, dry car, do correction if necessary, apply 3 coats of sealant.  In between the sealant drying, vacuum inside of car, clean dash, sides, clean leather seats, clean windscreen etc. :a-happy:

Blueray and Rachdanom praised this

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

TL173
  • Premium member
    TL173
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I also DIY it, but in every 6 months, i.e. get to exercise every 6 months...

Washing car thoroughly follow by clay bar easily 2 - 2.5 hours. 

Following by another 3 hours of (1) polish, (2) wax & (3) sealant.

Blueray and Axeman24 praised this

Posted 27 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

Axeman24
  • Premium member
    Axeman24
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

I do wash my own car around once a week or once every forthnighly depending if I have the time. Every 4 to 6 months I will just clay bar my car and finish off with a coat of sealant. It's siong but after you see the end result, I feel shiok especially I am driving a black color car, it look shiny when light shine on my car. :D

Edited by Axeman24, 27 June 2016 - 10:32 PM.

Blueray praised this
Be nice to nerds, chances are you will end up working for one

Back to Detailing  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users